Options

dss #63--parallel lives

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 10, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I'll throw in a street scene:)
Though I usually like b&w, this one just begged to be in color.

What do you think?
Boy this challenge is going to be some mixed bag!

Parallel Lives

1085470873_zoHuf-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Oooo... Liz - I love it! The ONLY thing I was wasn't there was the guy in the hat behind the girl on the left - my eye went straight to him. How're your cloning skills (or, alternatively, do you have another frame from a series at that moment where he's not in it? Layer them, and brush him away... Another tip I learned on the Strobist shoot last week thumb.gif)

ETA: The umbrella could stand to go, too....

EATA: And what about a square crop? Would lose the guy on the right, and for once I think a centered-up comp could be really effective.

Yes, WAY more pp than a "pj" shot would normally warrant. But I think it's being viewed in a different context in the challenges, so the tweaking can be justified... :D
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Oooo... Liz - I love it! The ONLY thing I was wasn't there was the guy in the hat behind the girl on the left - my eye went straight to him. How're your cloning skills (or, alternatively, do you have another frame from a series at that moment where he's not in it? Layer them, and brush him away... Another tip I learned on the Strobist shoot last week thumb.gif)

ETA: The umbrella could stand to go, too....

EATA: And what about a square crop? Would lose the guy on the right, and for once I think a centered-up comp could be really effective.

Yes, WAY more pp than a "pj" shot would normally warrant. But I think it's being viewed in a different context in the challenges, so the tweaking can be justified... :D

clone and pj eek7.gif--lol---but you are right that for the challenges I may have to do that. My best pj shot for the challenges, I cloned out a power box and it worked out beautifully. This will take much more work, but I will give it a go. I also took about 4 shots, I liked this one the best, but I will go back and see if the distractions are less with the others.

Glad you like it.

PS--took me forever to find the umbrella you were referring to.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Diva has some good points, but I also understand that this is street photography so you will get all kinds of random and unpredictable stuff in your photos and there are times you just have to live with that. I guess in a way that is the "charm" of the street photography. Sometimes a simple crop will do the trick like Diva said, but there are times that there just isn't much you can do. Looking closely, I can see that it could be possible to remove the guy on the left with very careful and tedious cloning work but the question is whether you want to go through that. Diva is right, if you have another frame of the same shot, use that for the part you want the guy out of the picture using masks in photoshop (if you have photoshop that is).

One thing I wish were the case (too late now anyway) is shallower depth of field. That would have eliminated most of the distractions in the background. Currently there is too much to look at but again, I have to remind myself that this is a form of street photography.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Really like this! If you had a shot where the guy on the left was further to the left to appear more "parallel" to the guy on the right, that would be really sweet. Otherwise, I agree with ps'ing the guy on the left out. Since you don't see the face of the guy on the right, I don't think he distracts at all - could maybe crop the person on the bench out. And I don't think the umbrella is very noticeable either - & that would be a really hard edit to get to look natural. Maybe cropping out a little on the top (to just below the flag) might bring more focus to the subjects. Title is great too.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    Diva has some good points, but I also understand that this is street photography so you will get all kinds of random and unpredictable stuff in your photos and there are times you just have to live with that. I guess in a way that is the "charm" of the street photography. Sometimes a simple crop will do the trick like Diva said, but there are times that there just isn't much you can do. Looking closely, I can see that it could be possible to remove the guy on the left with very careful and tedious cloning work but the question is whether you want to go through that. Diva is right, if you have another frame of the same shot, use that for the part you want the guy out of the picture using masks in photoshop (if you have photoshop that is).

One thing I wish were the case (too late now anyway) is shallower depth of field. That would have eliminated most of the distractions in the background. Currently there is too much to look at but again, I have to remind myself that this is a form of street photography.

Funny I had it on shallow DOF for a while doing some experimenting with my new lens..Then I went back to shooting street and got rid of the shallow DOF. I usually want everything to be seen, but it would have been perfect for this one to have it shallow :cry. I wasn't thinking challenge when I shot this--if I had and had I chimped maybe it would have dawned on me and I would have quickly changed the settings. damn.

There is still another week of shooting--I hope this isn't my best, but if it is, then at least I have something I can try and work with. I will also look at my other shots of this scene.

Thanks for the advise.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    lkbart wrote: »
    Really like this! If you had a shot where the guy on the left was further to the left to appear more "parallel" to the guy on the right, that would be really sweet. Otherwise, I agree with ps'ing the guy on the left out. Since you don't see the face of the guy on the right, I don't think he distracts at all - could maybe crop the person on the bench out. And I don't think the umbrella is very noticeable either - & that would be a really hard edit to get to look natural. Maybe cropping out a little on the top (to just below the flag) might bring more focus to the subjects. Title is great too.

Glad you like it.
    As a street shot, I love it. I like the light in it and the two men--the second I saw them I knew I had to shoot the scene. I should have worked the scene a little more--damn my 1 hr of lunch--as it is I had to run back to the office:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Very nice street shot Liz.
    Like Allen I would have liked a shallower dof for the challenge but one has to work with what one has.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    I can't remember if you have photoshop or not Liz, but doing a layer mask of blur can sometimes be a replacement for DOF. It's not something I've mastered, but once you've made your selection and brushed it the way you want, you can play with the opacity just enough to make the background stuff less distracting. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D