Sawtooth Range - Idaho

TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
edited November 12, 2010 in Landscapes
Got up at 4:00am and drove to Stanley to photograph the Sawtooths. It was 18 degrees when I started hiking and 33 degrees when I returned home. Thanks for looking!

Alpenglow on Mt. Heyburn
1085773346_hKQSZ-L-1.jpg

Early morning light on the Sawtooth Range reflected in Little Redfish Lake. I photographed Mt. Heyburn (previous photo) from the farthest sunlit hill across the lake.
1085774059_vr8y3-L-1.jpg

Then I drove on a back country road to get a higher elevation view of the westerly range.
1085775999_MbQbq-L-1.jpg

I shot this on the way out.
1085777469_zfbHo-L-1.jpg

Comments

• jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Awesome images and wonderful light. That area of the country is some of my favorite!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    I have almost the exact same picture as your first one on the wall right next to me at work, love that mountain and yours is a very nice shot of it.
    I really like the second one also...to bad it was not one of those dead calm morning....or did you have problems with the beavers slapping their tails :).

Only nit is the skies look to dark, lighten them up a bit and these are money.

Great stuff well worth the drive. Were the roads clear?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Beautiful set. Really love the first one.clap.gif
  • FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    very nice images!
  • OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Great shots, the last 2 are my favourites.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Lovely set!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Makes me want to jump on a plane!!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    WOW, you have some amazing pictures here!! The light was just phenomenal!! I enjoyed these a lot!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Well doneclap.gif
    ~Mandy
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Stunning!
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Every one of them is stunning! Beautiful landscapes.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Awesome series! I really need to head out there one of these days. I'm planning a 4AM voyage to a snowy Rainier tomorrow - hopefully it will work out like your shots did.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    jamesl wrote: »
    Awesome images and wonderful light. That area of the country is some of my favorite!
    Thanks, I'm getting hooked on the Sawtooths
    zoomer wrote: »
    I really like the second one also...to bad it was not one of those dead calm morning....or did you have problems with the beavers slapping their tails :). Only nit is the skies look to dark, lighten them up a bit and these are money. Great stuff well worth the drive. Were the roads clear?
    Zoomer, you mean like this one? I didn't post this photo earlier cause I screwed up on the aperture setting and the mountains turned out fuzzy, but here it is. Yeah, the skies are quite blue ;) The roads were clear.

1086189217_2h8Tv-L.jpg[/IMG]
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Beautiful set. Really love the first one.clap.gif
    Thanks Dan!
    Fishead wrote: »
    very nice images!
    Thanks Fishead
    Oobers wrote: »
    Great shots, the last 2 are my favourites.
    Thanks!
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Lovely set!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Makes me want to jump on a plane!!
    I really just got turned on to the sawtooths this fall and now I'm hooked. Headed back up there on Friday!!!
    ront wrote: »
    WOW, you have some amazing pictures here!! The light was just phenomenal!! I enjoyed these a lot!
    Ron
    Thanks Ront!
    jeepr wrote: »
    Well doneclap.gif
    ~Mandy
    Thank you.
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    Stunning!
    Thanks!
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Every one of them is stunning! Beautiful landscapes.
    Thank you very much.

I really appreciate all the nice comments.
    edited November 10, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Awesome series! I really need to head out there one of these days. I'm planning a 4AM voyage to a snowy Rainier tomorrow - hopefully it will work out like your shots did.

Thanks Ron. The trip should be great! Hope the weather is good for you. Looking forward to seeing your photos.
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Really beautiful! I like #2 best but they are all really nice!
  • EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    For sure, those first two are real bell ringers! Extremely nice.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    What I mean is it appears like the filter used to even out your exposure for the sky was a little to dark and the effect could be graduated more.

Just nitpicking, such great photos, just trying to help them be the best they can be :).
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    gorgeous! love the shot of Heyburn, and the one taken alongside highway 75 is excellent. i really need to get back over there again one of these days... i spent a week at Redfish Lodge in early September in 2007, but there were so many fires back up in the mountains that the smoke ruined the photo ops. i want to shoot McGown Peak and Stanley Lake, too...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited November 11, 2010
    Travel wrote: »
    Really beautiful! I like #2 best but they are all really nice!
    Thanks!
    For sure, those first two are real bell ringers! Extremely nice.
    Thanks Gary
    zoomer wrote: »
    What I mean is it appears like the filter used to even out your exposure for the sky was a little to dark and the effect could be graduated more.

Just nitpicking, such great photos, just trying to help them be the best they can be :).
    Yeah, on the third photo, I used a .9 grad and I had the polarizer turned up a bit too much :)
    squirl033 wrote: »
    gorgeous! love the shot of Heyburn, and the one taken alongside highway 75 is excellent. i really need to get back over there again one of these days... i spent a week at Redfish Lodge in early September in 2007, but there were so many fires back up in the mountains that the smoke ruined the photo ops. i want to shoot McGown Peak and Stanley Lake, too...
    I did drive out to Stanley Lake and hiked 1/2 mile to the meadow for a full-on view of McGowan, but the light just wasn't hitting it very well. Sometimes the effort doesn't yield a thing, but the experience is still well worth it. Thanks
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Very nice photos, great lighting,

Doug

http://dougsphotos.smugmug.com/
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    The light in that first photo is so striking! Beautiful set!
  • CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Breathtaking! I live to experience those moments , through the viewfinder!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    bowdown.gif Incredible! I have wanted to hit up and explore Idaho for quite a while now as I'm convinced it's completely underrated and holds many worthwhile photo ops. This just proves it. Nice job thumb.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Great shots you have here. I really love the first image, perfect name for these hills. Spectacular shot. Well worth your efforts.
    edited November 12, 2010
    snowman1 wrote: »
    Very nice photos, great lighting,
    http://dougsphotos.smugmug.com/
    Thanks.
    PGM wrote: »
    The light in that first photo is so striking! Beautiful set!
    Thank you. I set up the tripod just as the sun was coming up from the east. I really had to hustle to get up the hill to take the photo. I was out of breath and I kept fogging up the view finder, so I held my breath while shooting as the misty clouds kept changing form :) I didn't know what I was going to get, but I was very happy the way the light hit the mountain when the clouds opened up.
    CanonFan wrote: »
    Breathtaking! I live to experience those moments , through the viewfinder!
    Thanks! I'm starting to feel that way too, especially after witnessing such beauty.
    schmoo wrote: »
    bowdown.gif Incredible! I have wanted to hit up and explore Idaho for quite a while now as I'm convinced it's completely underrated and holds many worthwhile photo ops. This just proves it. Nice job thumb.gif
    Thanks Schmoo....Come on out! There are so many different areas in Idaho to photograph from the southern desert canyons, Sawtooth and Whitecloud Mountains, Snake River, Shoshone Falls, the northern Palouse, Hell's Canyon, to name a few, but right now I'm hooked on the Sawtooths! Heading back up there tomorrow!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Great shots you have here. I really love the first image, perfect name for these hills. Spectacular shot. Well worth your efforts.
    Thanks. There are some incredible "sawtooth" mountain peaks beyond Mt. Heyburn, but you've got to hike into the Sawtooth Mountains to see them. I'll be there next summer!