Clachtoll Bay

ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited November 17, 2010 in Landscapes
Each year we head up to the far North West Highlands of Scotland, this year we decided to stay at a place called Clachtoll, 38 miles north of Ullapool. It is a stunningly beautiful place. Here are a few shots taken from the bay. You can see a larger framed version by clicking on the photos.

Thanks for looking.

Duncan

Canon 5d mkii - 17-40L @ 23mm - ISO 125 - f/16 - 1/4 sec - tripod.
sp_00011th.jpg

Canon 5D mkii - 17-40L @ 17mm - ISO 250 - F/14 - 60 sec - Tripod - + Big Stopper Filter.
sp_00012th.jpg

Canon 5D mkii - 17-40L @ 17mm - ISO 400 - F/14 - 80 sec - Tripod - + Big Stopper Filter.
sp_00013th.jpg

Canon 5d mkii - 17-40 @ 21mm - f/16 - ISO 125 - 1/5th sec - tripod.
sp_00014th.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    Fantastic shots Duncan! Really like the 1st with the placement of the reflecting sun. The 4th is timed perfectly!!
    I think 2 and 3 have a bit too much dead space in the foreground but others may disagree
    Nice job!
    E
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Fantastic shots Duncan! Really like the 1st with the placement of the reflecting sun. The 4th is timed perfectly!!
    I think 2 and 3 have a bit too much dead space in the foreground but others may disagree
    Nice job!
    E

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

The first one was a bit of an experiment, looking for elements in the seascape that I could focus on while capturing the movement around. The 4th one is all about capturing the whole scene. 2 & 3 about creating space for people to move into. I aimed for a simple uncluttered composition with the cool tones to create a tranquil peaceful shots that would make you feel like you wanted to walk into the space they created.

For instance, my way of thinking was....

The pale sand in the centre of the 2nd leaves an open space for the viewer to walk into the scene, passing the seaweed while looking towards the horizon. If there had been an object centre or right it would impeed that feeling. Three pebbles were left far right to break up the diagonal created by the surf on the sand and are horizontal to the surf on the far left. Subtle but stop the eye going straight along the diagonal and off the side.

For the third one, the stone is positioned off centre and is the only sold (although faint) object to focus on. For me, because it is small in the large open space, it draws my attention more and makes me think about walking up to it, picking it up and skimming it across the surface of the smooth water.

Of course, that's just me and I may have lost the plot :D but I thought i would give some background my thinking.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Thanks for sharing your thought process behind the shots...I wish more people did that!
    My only thought as far as the dead space is that I often like to see where the sand meets the sea. Here it is pretty far from the foreground and lies close to the horizon.
    Again, great job with these and thanks for sharing the images and idea behind them
    E
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 11, 2010
    I can't recall ever seeing beach scenes as good as these from the British Isles. These are very, very nice. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I really like 2 & 3. The distant rocks frame the sea nicely.

No. 2 I like the comp with the seaweed and the sand is very detailed. I'm a bit undecided about the small rocks on the right. I keep covering them up to see if I like the photo without them, but nonetheless, the photo is excellent.

No. 3 I really like this pano, again the rocks frame the sea. The positioning of the horizon is right on and I like converging lines of the water flow.

Nice job!
    edited November 14, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    I can't recall ever seeing beach scenes as good as these from the British Isles. These are very, very nice. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you, we do have some amazing beaches in the UK, if we had the weather they would be tropical but the throng of visitors would spoil the peace and tranquility.... so I'm happy with the changeable nature of the our fantastic weather :D
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    I really like 2 & 3. The distant rocks frame the sea nicely.

No. 2 I like the comp with the seaweed and the sand is very detailed. I'm a bit undecided about the small rocks on the right. I keep covering them up to see if I like the photo without them, but nonetheless, the photo is excellent.

No. 3 I really like this pano, again the rocks frame the sea. The positioning of the horizon is right on and I like converging lines of the water flow.

Nice job!

Thank you very much, I wasn't sure how people would take no 3 because of it's simplicty.

Duncan
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    That last one is bowdown.gif

Everything from the light to the waves to the way the foam frames the foreground subject... wow!
    edited November 17, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    That last one is bowdown.gif

Everything from the light to the waves to the way the foam frames the foreground subject... wow!

Thank you very much :-) I have a few others to post from this trip.... And quite a few more to process.... Just need the time to sort them all out :-)

Thanks again!

Duncan