Then and Now 2.5 years, pic heavy

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited November 14, 2010 in People
This is my friend that really helped me on my way and pushed when when I was afraid to try. As soon as I told her I was taking an online class she hounded me to shoot her kids, even though I did not plan to do people, and on my application I clearly wrote that the one thing I did NOT want to do was to shoot anything that moved!
Sooo after 4 months I came out, made the hour drive, to appease my bossy friend and I discovered I LOVE shooting kids!!!
This is meant to highlight my growth and the 2 little girls. The THEN photos and the NOW photos were all taken on one day, 2 and a half years apart.

1....THEN.... the FIRST photo I ever took of these two!

1085650601_pehf2-S.jpg

NOW....
1086078590_m3KuM-M.jpg

2...THEN.....not a flattering image..
1085650838_HrTm3-M.jpg

NOW...WOW...it's not pp as much as you think. I LOVE this photo!!!
1085657917_ZdCUR-L.jpg
here it is after lightroom3 almost sooc, boogers and all
1086196909_CD7vc-S.jpg

3...THEN...a lot of pp done on this one!
1085650828_r3Btq-M.jpg

NOW.....using the golden hour and a little pp
1085656541_iJoXX-L.jpg

4....THEN......I learned a lot from images like these, non posing is better with little kids!
1085656142_f6VWa-L.jpg

NOW......another one almost sooc, mostly lighting boost and sharpening
1085656530_eUUY2-L.jpg

5...THEN....photoshop gone WRONG!
1085652659_GhEpf-M.jpg

NOW... still trying to define just what MY style is...but it is wayyyy better than that last one !
1085656280_vprVe-L.jpg

6...THEN...not too bad
1085651981_wsohX-M.jpg

NOW.... she is a lot easier to work with now as far as posing etc!!!
1085656986_4GFJ9-L.jpg

7...THEN...this room has wonderful lighting, too bad I STILL could not avoid all that noise!
1085652449_zUbnU-L.jpg

NOW... the best photo I took that day, maybe EVER!.. all I did here was sharpen and boost color
1086066563_Zx7os-L.jpg

and if you want to know if Emma has finally begun to grow into her toothy smile like her dentist said she would...
1085660282_DU7Su-S-1.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    This is great. I love looking back on photos even a month ago, and seeing how much I have taught myself. But yours are ...exceptional. Good job!!
    Canon Fan
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    You should have titled this thread: Then and NOW-WOW-WOW!!!

OMG!! You've come a loooooooooooong way!!! Simply amazing, your friend sure knew how to do you both a favor clap.gif

bowdown.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    These really are fabulous! I love doing the same with my pictures as well. It seems a lot of us went through a...heavily PP time. I know I did. Then you seem to come into your own regarding style. :) I love your PP. Sometimes, less is more, right?

Thank you for sharing your before and now. thumb.gif
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I really enjoyed this thread. Besides being much better technically, your subjects look so relaxed and natural. A feeling of their personalities shines through. :D
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Glad to know I'm not the only one that looks back, even as recent as a month ago, and thinks "What in the WORLD was I thinking??"

Usually by the time I process them and they get ordered, I don't like all but 3 or 4 from their session. I just recently had a mom order birth announcements and while she LOVED them, I didn't even love them enough to keep a sample of them. The picture, the design, all of it, yuck.

I totally agree with Angie about how this thread should have been titled. Wow, you've come a long way.
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    So cool Trudy, you have progressed so so much!
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    That is absolutely inspirational, Trudy! You've grown not just in your skill with a camera, but also in composition, knowing how to use light, and picking the right setting.

Can't wait to see a similar thread from you 2.5 years later from now :)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Absolutely wonderful Trudy. You've really improved so much in such a short time!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Wow
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I love this thread! You go girl!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone!! Your support has been a big part of my improvement, along with your inspiration that comes from sharing your amazing portraits!
    That really pp'd one will probably pop up one day on the internet under worst photoshop ever. It is sooooo ugly, I almost couldn't make myself post it!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Wow, it's really great to see how far you've come since you first shot these originally! You've improved leaps and bounds, keep it up!
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Fantastic!
    I have similar images with my two girls since film days.
    What a lovely collection!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010