Options

jpg vs. raw

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    what converted me to shooting RAW was shooting a few pictures in JPG that would have been awesome except for exposure or something. Once I figured out how I could correct the RAW files much more, I never looked back.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Here is the opening page for Transcend Cf cards at new Egg...and there are 1 & 2gb cards still showing.....

Just a quick note here..... either 8GB or 32GB seem to be the Goldilocks zone.

Thanks to this thread and upcoming events I finally got off my butt to get a new card and their 32GB card with 4 times faster write speeds (very important for high FPS 12 MP images in RAW) for only 70 dollars! This is less than the first 2GB SD card I bought for my D50 in 2006 clap.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007796%2050001364%20600006181&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20
  • Options
    rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Raw gives you A LOT more flexibility, for example it allows you to adjust WB. In JPG you can't do that. Once you learn the intricacies and feel more comfortable you should be shooting in RAW.
    The reason IMO why people don;t shoot raw is because with jpg the camera does some of the PPing for you so when you first see the images they look a bit better. It's an instant gratification thing IMO. Also, in jpg the files are smaller, much smaller depending on your camera.

But once you get comfortable with RAW the sky is the limit on how you can adjust and control the image. It truly is the better way to shoot.
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010

Thanks to this thread and upcoming events I finally got off my butt to get a new card and their 32GB card with 4 times faster write speeds (very important for high FPS 12 MP images in RAW) for only 70 dollars! This is less than the first 2GB SD card I bought for my D50 in 2006
    clap.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007796%2050001364%20600006181&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

My first 2 - 2gb cards from Lexar was $198.99 [each] +s/h+ tax and that was from Zip Zoom Fly...all other sources were well over $200......that makes a $75 `6 or 32 gb card seem inexpensive.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I have had 2 hdds that I still own but just cannot make myself pay $2500 per drive for recovery...even tho the raw images would be nice to have, but have been able to make myself do it.

Have you ever tried SpinRite ( http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm )? It is <$100, and might be able to read those drives. I haven't used it myself . . . but if I had 2 drives with images I wanted back, I would probably try it before paying some $2,500.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I have used spinrite inthe past, but not for a long time. When it works it fairly amazing. It's meant to be run periodically to that it can remap disk blocks that it detects as being likely to fail in the not too distant future. Check to make sure it supports the kind disk/configuration that you have; it does have a money back offer but no trial version.
    Have you ever tried SpinRite ( http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm )? It is <$100, and might be able to read those drives. I haven't used it myself . . . but if I had 2 drives with images I wanted back, I would probably try it before paying some $2,500.