newbie experimentations ...

m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 25, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
last week i was up on kagamiyama (kagami mountain) in karatsu, japan. i have always been interested in photography, but only now have i the money to get into it properly. i have a nikon d3000 kit (body; AF-S DX nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G VR; AF-S DX VR zoom-nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED). anyway i was just experimenting with my gear and what i have learnt from bryan peterson's "understanding exposure". i would love all sorts of critique, input, and advice from those of you who are much more advanced than me. please let me know what you think. these are my favourite from the many i took. some shots are of the same subject, i would like your input on which you like better and why. thank you in advance. cheers!

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Hi, there are a lot of photographs in this post - possibly too many ! However, my favourites are #7 (I like the composition) and the last one #16 (interesting shapes).

Cheers, Richard.
  • m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    thank you for your reply. yes i do admit there are quite a bit of photos, i suppose like you say too many.
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    #1 #2 look a tad dark to me, the others are pretty interesting. Me i usually try and post 1 specific good shot i really like every few days or once a week somewhere online and look for reviews. But that's just me.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
    edited November 13, 2010
    kithylin wrote: »
    #1 #2 look a tad dark to me, the others are pretty interesting. Me i usually try and post 1 specific good shot i really like every few days or once a week somewhere online and look for reviews. But that's just me.

aye, you are right, i think. they are a bit dark. maybe i should try to edit them in LR. we shall see what i can manage with them.

thank you for the reply. and the feedback :)
    edited November 13, 2010

also, could i ask where do you usually post online for reviews? other than here? what are some good sites for such a purpose?
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    m147 wrote: »
    also, could i ask where do you usually post online for reviews? other than here? what are some good sites for such a purpose?

I haven't really found one, i usually just post on DeviantArt and link it to several of my friends that are more into photography than i am for comments, I've only recently started also linking here, so not sure how dgrin works yet.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
    edited November 13, 2010
    I haven't really found one, i usually just post on DeviantArt and link it to several of my friends that are more into photography than i am for comments, I've only recently started also linking here, so not sure how dgrin works yet.

aye i'm a newbie as well here. and even more so to photography. still learning.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    I normally don't critique peoples work, but will make a couple of suggestions.

1. Learn to use your histogram. All your pictures appear to be flat. That way you can make adjustments in the field.

2. Simplify your compositions....If you don't know about the rule of thirds, then google it.

3. Look for pictures that have drama in them. Lighting is really important. Sunrise to 10am and 3pm to sunset is considered the best light.

4. Be sure you have a center of interest and that other elements in the picture don't compete with it.

Looking forward to seeing more of you work.......
    edited November 15, 2010
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I normally don't critique peoples work, but will make a couple of suggestions.

1. Learn to use your histogram. All your pictures appear to be flat. That way you can make adjustments in the field.

2. Simplify your compositions....If you don't know about the rule of thirds, then google it.

3. Look for pictures that have drama in them. Lighting is really important. Sunrise to 10am and 3pm to sunset is considered the best light.

4. Be sure you have a center of interest and that other elements in the picture don't compete with it.

Looking forward to seeing more of you work.......

thank you for your suggestions. do you know of any good resources online (or print) on learning the histogram? of course i will google it and search out on my own. i am aware of the rule of thirds. one thing i definitely need to do is slow down and take more time composing my shots. what do you mean by flat?
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    m147 wrote: »
    thank you for your suggestions. do you know of any good resources online (or print) on learning the histogram? of course i will google it and search out on my own. i am aware of the rule of thirds. one thing i definitely need to do is slow down and take more time composing my shots. what do you mean by flat?

I haven't read Understanding Exposure, but I have read that it is a good book. Take another look at the book it must have a section on histograms and a explanation of flat.......
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I haven't read Understanding Exposure, but I have read that it is a good book. Take another look at the book it must have a section on histograms and a explanation of flat.......

I just purchased Understanding Exposure for $14 on Amazon. I have many photography books but this one is by far the most helpful. It teaches you everything you need to know. Great suggestion.

It looks like you missed the focus on some of these shots, they are a bit soft. #16 is my fav.
    edited November 25, 2010

playing around in LR3 i now understand what you mean by flat. here are some of my adjusted images. i've included less this time around.

1011_kagamiyama_026.jpg

1011_kagamiyama_036.jpg

1011_kagamiyama_049.jpg

1011_kagamiyama_054.jpg