Problems with reflections in teeth and eyes

KavikaKavika Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited November 12, 2010 in Technique
I spend HOURS removing flash reflections from teeth and eyes ... does anyone have a shortcut, or a way to cut down on these time eaters??? I do kids and families, often outside, with fill flash mostly. Use a Nikon D70,sometimes popup flash, sometimes SB 800 .... help anyone?

Comments

• KavikaKavika Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Huh?
    zoomer wrote: »
    Just don't do it.

It's saliva - sparkle mouth - and tears or whatever in the corners of eyes. Drives me nuts. Without flash ... no warm colors in skin ... maybe I need a better camera, or a crash course in lighting techniques
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I have done thousands of portraits, I never remove flash reflections from teeth and eyes.
    You may notice it but no one else will.
    Once in a great while there will be a spot that may be noticeable or look weird, then fix it.

Maybe you are overflashing..??
    edited November 11, 2010
    I have done thousands of portraits, I never remove flash reflections from teeth and eyes.
    You may notice it but no one else will.
    Once in a great while there will be a spot that may be noticeable or look weird, then fix it.

Maybe you are overflashing..??

I have been shooting at 400 iso, f 7 or 8, and it seems I always have to boost my whites with the levels tool. I shoot in the shade to avoid sun spots, but almost every shot needs boosting and color adjusting. Dang, what I'd give for a great exposure right out of the camera! I got into the habit of removing the sparkles after one complaint years ago, but every shot has a bunch of them.
    edited November 11, 2010
    edited November 11, 2010
    Would you like to post an example or a link to an example.

davidgellatly.smugmug.com

see Families as the galleries are open

and thanks for any suggestions!
    edited November 11, 2010
    I don't see any problems with anything needing fixed (reflections) in any of those.
    You are shooting with your built in flash or on camera flash it looks like, which would tend to increase the reflections.
    In the photos you are taking the subjects are far enough away that I can't imagine any reflections being a problem.

Do you have an unedited photo you could post that you believe needs some reflections fixed.
    edited November 11, 2010
    I don't see any problems with anything needing fixed (reflections) in any of those.
    You are shooting with your built in flash or on camera flash it looks like, which would tend to increase the reflections.
    In the photos you are taking the subjects are far enough away that I can't imagine any reflections being a problem.

Do you have an unedited photo you could post that you believe needs some reflections fixed.

No, I fix all that I post online, and trash the rest. Saturday I'll have 500 more, edited down to 200. Maybe I can post some fixed/unfixed.

Thanks for having a look.
    edited November 11, 2010
    I don't know if it may help you to look at some of the portraits on my website knowing that I NEVER fix the reflections. See if you see the same kind of stuff that you see in your shots that you are spending time fixing.
    edited November 11, 2010
    I don't know if it may help you to look at some of the portraits on my website knowing that I NEVER fix the reflections. See if you see the same kind of stuff that you see in your shots that you are spending time fixing.

I did look at your gorgeous shots and see none of what I'm experiencing. So it must be the fact that my flash is on camera and you're using something else. Saturday I may go back to trying a bounce thing I rigged up and used for a while ... a foot wide white foam thing attached with velcro to the flash ... which is pointed almost straight up ... thus it bounces a softer light.
    edited November 11, 2010
    Getting the flash off camera is pretty easy and inexpensive.
    My set up cost about $75. total for stand and softbox.

Then I use the on camera flash to set off the sb800 on the light stand. Nikon gear, not sure what Canon's set up is.
    edited November 11, 2010
    Getting the flash off camera is pretty easy and inexpensive.
    My set up cost about $75. total for stand and softbox.

Then I use the on camera flash to set off the sb800 on the light stand. Nikon gear, not sure what Canon's set up is.

I've never tried that. And I have the SB800 ... What softbox do you use?
    edited November 11, 2010
    I found one at my local photography store. It is an umbrella. If fits through a hole on the lightstand where the sb800 is mounted.
    Then the sb800 fits in a hole in the back of the umbrella and you shoot through it.
    Go to your local camera store and tell them what you want to do but you don't want to spend more than $100. they should be able to get you set up.

Read up on the Nikon CLS system. Really easy to use. Basically set your camera's built in flash to commander mode and your sb800 to remote, then play around with it.
    edited November 11, 2010
    I found one at my local photography store. It is an umbrella. If fits through a hole on the lightstand where the sb800 is mounted.
    Then the sb800 fits in a hole in the back of the umbrella and you shoot through it.
    Go to your local camera store and tell them what you want to do but you don't want to spend more than $100. they should be able to get you set up.

Read up on the Nikon CLS system. Really easy to use. Basically set your camera's built in flash to commander mode and your sb800 to remote, then play around with it.

Many thanks! I've got the gear, read the chapter on commander mode, and I'm ready to rock!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    For softbox type umbrella...go to ebay and search for brolly box....I also use the LumiQuest (original) softbox.....there are a number of small
    flash softboxes on the market.....and most are quite inexpensive.......

why do you shoot your portraits at iso 400.....my personal preference is to shoot at the lowest ISO possible......I also like to use a handheld
    Lightmeter (flash and ambient) and I normally shoot in manual mode for total control of the image.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 12, 2010
    It is a new day for you Kavika :). Have fun exploring the world of off camera flash.
    Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.