Portrait of my favorite model(828)

Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited September 12, 2005 in People
Difficult light, so I used some fill flash. What do you think?

35357004-L.jpg

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Difficult light, so I used some fill flash. What do you think?

What do I think??? I thinks its wonderful clap.gif
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Adrian,

I don't know whether your camera has the option to adjust flash output, but the fill flash is a bit too strong for my tastes.

That being said, the photo is way better with the existing fill flash than what I expect it would be without!

You could also try using a reflector of some kind (they're not too hard to improvise) in a lighting situation like this.

Very cute modelthumb.gif

Brad
  • Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Brad, have a look at the orginal
    digismile wrote:
    Adrian,

I don't know whether your camera has the option to adjust flash output, but the fill flash is a bit too strong for my tastes.

That being said, the photo is way better with the existing fill flash than what I expect it would be without!

You could also try using a reflector of some kind (they're not too hard to improvise) in a lighting situation like this.

Very cute modelthumb.gif

Brad
    I wonder do you see the same effect in the orginal picture? It might be that I went too far in post. The bright parts in her hair on the left are sunlight.

35392955-L.jpg
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    I don't think you went too far in post, I like how you processed it. Beautiful picture like always.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2005
    No -you were right to PP- the orig. definitely needs some midtone boost to give it a little pop................Was this direct camera flash --these frequently benefit from a diffuser of some type-- these can be made from plastic milk cartons , translucent tape ect.... ....... you'll get lots of chances she's a cutie.............................Mereimage
    Hi Lynn
    lynnma wrote:
    What do I think??? I thinks its wonderful clap.gif
    Thanks! Always a pleasure to meet you here! wave.gif
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    Regarding flash diffusers - I just bought one of these http://www.lumiquest.com/softscreen.htm for $12 and love it. The results are amazing.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
    Thanks! A great idea...
    thdizzy wrote:
    Regarding flash diffusers - I just bought one of these http://www.lumiquest.com/softscreen.htm for $12 and love it. The results are amazing.
    ... for I have a lumiquest set for my Sony f32x but this one looks very smart for those occasions where it's too much trouble to set up the "biggie flash".
    Thanks, Nick...
    gluwater wrote:
    I don't think you went too far in post, I like how you processed it. Beautiful picture like always.

Nick
    I appreciate your comment. At STF dpreview somebody commented about the difference in color temperature of sun and flash. That's probably the reason why the light is a bit difficult.
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    Top Models
    This is a lovely photo. But the winner is one of those magic shots of the two of them at the piano - beautiful, check them out people, amazing expressions of concentration and - well, have a look.
    edited September 11, 2005
    Piano shots are here..
    This is a lovely photo. But the winner is one of those magic shots of the two of them at the piano - beautiful, check them out people, amazing expressions of concentration and - well, have a look.
    The piano shots are here http://adrian.smugmug.com/gallery/105016/1/13909293
    rolleyes1.gif The piano shots really happened like that. I was amazed myself. Of course they both can not read or play but it's amazing to see how they "acted" like reading, playing and singing. Thanks for reminding me!
    Here is another real story: Sophie discovered that there is water under a bridge
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=8547860
    edited September 12, 2005
    Diffuser
    mereimage wrote:
    No -you were right to PP- the orig. definitely needs some midtone boost to give it a little pop................Was this direct camera flash --these frequently benefit from a diffuser of some type-- these can be made from plastic milk cartons , translucent tape ect.... ....... you'll get lots of chances she's a cutie.............................Mereimage
    Yeah, I got to make me a diffuser. Thanks for the advice and your kind comments!