Web Photo only

ImissFilmImissFilm Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited November 12, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi All,

I want to give someone an image for web design and use. My question is what size file should be given that is adequate for web use and design, however prevents a quality print from being made from that file.

I shoot NEF and the native size of the images are 14.19"x9.44" at res 300 DPI and the file size is 4256pixels x 2832.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• marchymanmarchyman Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Ignore DPI. 800x600 pixels (4:3 images) or 900x600 (3:2 images) pixels is a decent medium size for web use. Someone can still make an OK 4"x6" print of the image but not much larger at any decent quality.

I prefer web images of 1024x768 but then I don't care if folks print or not.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    personally I would (if processing in Photoshop) size my image to the INCH size (image > image size > change physical size
    (to what you want keep the constrain propotions box ticked (and only the CP box ticked) > Ok ) I want to give the client and then
    SAVE for the WEB .......then pick the smallest (fastest loading preview) file that looks good to you and that is what the client gets......
    or very simply in Photoshop tick the is to goto image size and make usre the Sample Image box is ticked and not the constrain propotions
    and input the physical size (say 4" X 6") at 72 dpi and that will give you an image that might print acceptable but not great at 4x6 inches........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ImissFilmImissFilm Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    thanks for the responses guys.

Art, I use NX2 at the moment for basic processing. It allows me to size the images. Are you familiar with NX2?

If so, should I have the "don't re-sample" box checked under "size and resolution" edit box; Input a 4x6 inch size at 72dpi and save as high quality jpeg?

thanks
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Sorry know nothing of NX2.....I figure that NX2 will uprez or down rez if the "don't re-sample" is not checked.......
    your native resolution is 72 dpi, so if you enter into this at 72 dpi and then just resize and have the "do not re-sample" un-checked,
    it should work fine........if NX2 resampling algorithm is any good......if it doesn't work well then you can download a trial of Genuine fractals (now called Perfect resize) and downsize it there, It will work as a standalone software..so you do not need to have photoshop or anything like that...........
    Great software.......the trial is fully operational and you can save several images (up or down sized) without watermarks or anything......

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• marchymanmarchyman Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    personally I would (if processing in Photoshop) size my image to the INCH size ...

Inch size at what DPI? Web viewers will be using devices that range from about 70 DPI to almost 150 DPI. I've three different monitors in my office at 3 different DPI (about 75, 95, and 120). The only think I can count on is that an image that will fit in an 800x600 bounding box can be seen on all three without scrolling around.

Your 4" by 6" at 72 dpi (288 x 432 pixels) is barely thumbnail size on a high dpi monitor.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    ImissFilm wrote: »
    Hi All,

I want to give someone an image for web design and use. My question is what size file should be given that is adequate for web use and design, however prevents a quality print from being made from that file.

I shoot NEF and the native size of the images are 14.19"x9.44" at res 300 DPI and the file size is 4256pixels x 2832.

thanks in advance.

It depends a lot where and how it will be used. I usually check the site where it will be placed, or similar, and right click on images to see the properties. Some sites like images to be as small as possible 5-50kb. Others will take 250kb. None of them are suitable for printing.