Options

One more trip to Yosemite

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Weddings
One of my last Yosemite weddings for a while (whew). This was my second wedding on 10/10/10. I was a bit tired, and I think it shows a bit in some of the photos, but I'm still pleased with the results.

1. - one of the toughest spots I've shot a ceremony, bride in full sun, groom in shade. Nice.
6c0a888596d6f006162b910c490d687a.jpg

205f5ecfe3a6a936a8e823f452e860d4.jpg

b30273edfdf7d0672dc299ef79149c76.jpg

e065ba0e5dae7dca8e51b8f2908b274b.jpg

277149157868f772eb9763c847e86636.jpg

d88e5066877c53d1cc6c8856a23782b3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    #3 made my jaw drop, amazing skills and artistry, lucky couple. Can you imagine the grandkids keeping a framed print of that with the family photos. We see our grandparents wedding photos as quaint, or very old school. What will they think of this in 40 - 50 years..?!! it will still be amazing!

I just now now noticed the brides attire! How fun!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Ditto that from Vay. #3 is amazing!! I really like 2 also. But again...WOW for #3!
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Not really a fan of mega-flare, so I'm gonna hafta go with $5 as the socks-knocker in this post. The light just falls onto them beautifully. Did you soften the image? Or soften the light? Gorgeous...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I'm with you Trudy - how cool is it that we get to make art that will hang in our clients houses and remind them of the day they started a new life together. Humbling.

Re: #3 I'm with you Matt. I think the flare is a bit strong for my tastes, but my wife loved it and told me that it needed to go on my blog, so there it is. I still like it, it's just not my favorite.

#5 was lit with my gridded beauty dish. It's fairly hard light, but the ratio to ambient is so close that it's not too pronounced. Plus the falloff on that thing is like butter.
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    I just have to take a moment to express my thoughts on #3. What you've done is you've taken two insignificant people (and I say insignificant only in regards to comparing a human to the power of something like the sun) and you've brought the moment they're having, to feel as powerful as the sun. I'm a ponderer, so if I came across this image somewhere in a larger version, I'd probably be sittin there for awhile staring at this one. Great job Patrick. Big fan of your work.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    #5 is truly awful, although I see why you like it technically.

You had a tough assignment with this couple. I assume they love each other because they got married. Still, they seem so stiff. The stress of the day shines through.

Shame you could not get closer for the ceremony, but perhaps he did not drop his guard even then.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    Love the set! 2, 3 & 4 are my favorites (with 3 topping them). Great work as always...if I ever visit Yosemite my wallet better beware because I don't think I could not visit w/out hiring you for some photos!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    #5 is truly awful, although I see why you like it technically.

Please explain your thoughts on #5. I think it could have been better, in that I would have liked to see their feet. The light...it's okay...because it's a style...and if that's your style...so be it. I happen to like five...the colors, the shadows...the depth.

Everyone is raving about three...just wondering why it's okay to have the brides face so out of focus to the point of losing detail that it's a stellar photo. I like flare as much as the next guy...but...not at the expense of losing that much detail. I question how the artistry will be viewed in the future...will the bride be saying...yah, that could have been better...the guy didn't really have us in focus. Just wondering...
    Just my thoughts. Comments please.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Everyone is raving about three...just wondering why it's okay to have the brides face so out of focus to the point of losing detail that it's a stellar photo. I like flare as much as the next guy...but...not at the expense of losing that much detail. I question how the artistry will be viewed in the future...will the bride be saying...yah, that could have been better...the guy didn't really have us in focus. Just wondering...
    Just my thoughts. Comments please.

#3 isn't about the detail in their faces, it's about the overall shot. That's my personal opinion of it. If it were me in the photos I'd be looking at that on my wall blown up really large and just loving the overall feel of it... not caring about the softness in the face since the face is such a small part of the overall composition. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    I've been out of town for a few days, so it was cool to jump back on this and see a bit of discussion starting - I love that! Thank you all for taking some time to share your thoughts and talk about this images.

As I said before, #3 isn't my favorite image I've ever shot. To be sure, I like it but I think I'm bothered by so much white space in the upper left frame. Obviously I was playing with the flare and visually drawing a connection between them and the sun by encircling them with the flare. It creates a strong image, one that hopefully captures the grandeur of Yosemite. Thanks Nelson for picking up on that!

For the record, in the full size frame there is plenty of detail on the bride & groom - they are nice and sharp with no blown spots. Also, I did take the same composition from a spot about six inches to my right, eliminating the flare just in case my clients prefer that. I always try to take a shot like this both with and without flare.

Christopher, I'm curious what doesn't work for you in #5. I'm the first to admit this image isn't perfect (a few things strike my eyes immediately that I will improve on next time) but I am not sure what you are getting at. Is it the couple's seeming lack of emotion that doesn't work for you?

Ed my choice not to include the feet on #5 was more about composition than anything else. I like the leading lines from the left, the contrast between the stones on the bridge and the trees in the distance. The tonality of all of that is detailed (in a way) and simple at the same time, making for a balanced and powerful image of the bride and groom. They were standing on a concrete sidewalk / curb that would have introduced one more thing to the photo and made it overly busy in the bottom of the frame and stepped out of natural materials, so I eliminated that from the frame.

Thanks Cat for your ideas on #3! As I continue to shoot more and more in nature, I try to make the photos be somewhat of a hybrid between romantic and nature shots. Something that can incorporate the beauty of those two worlds at the same time. I'll never forget one of my first weddings up here, that I treated like a wedding at most other places, when the couple saw their final images they wondered why they were all focused on the couple, not enough to show off Yosemite. Lesson learned.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your perspective!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    Thanks Cat for your ideas on #3! As I continue to shoot more and more in nature, I try to make the photos be somewhat of a hybrid between romantic and nature shots. Something that can incorporate the beauty of those two worlds at the same time. I'll never forget one of my first weddings up here, that I treated like a wedding at most other places, when the couple saw their final images they wondered why they were all focused on the couple, not enough to show off Yosemite. Lesson learned.

Exactly why I love your work, you really bring the nature aspect of Yosemite into these photos and never take for granted the stunning scenery you have at your disposal. Your works are masterpieces as a result in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    Shima wrote: »
    #3 isn't about the detail in their faces, it's about the overall shot. That's my personal opinion of it. If it were me in the photos I'd be looking at that on my wall blown up really large and just loving the overall feel of it... not caring about the softness in the face since the face is such a small part of the overall composition. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Cat...I love hearing from a woman about these things. I defer to my wife on many occasions when going over a shoot. You girls have that natural little something that us guys have to work for...lol...and hey, it's all about pleasing the women. I am old enough to know that.

Yep, I liked five. And I've used a beauty dish shooting bridals...same set up...gridded with a sock to soften it up a little. Did you have a sock on yours...just wondering. By the way...I wasn't knocking your work...I always check out your posts.

Ed
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Christopher, I'm curious what doesn't work for you in #5. I'm the first to admit this image isn't perfect (a few things strike my eyes immediately that I will improve on next time) but I am not sure what you are getting at. Is it the couple's seeming lack of emotion that doesn't work for you?

Thanks again everyone for sharing your perspective!

Yes, it is the couple. They do not look comfortable to me.

Maybe the stones are not helping - the couple seem to do better with a softer background.

Don't get me wrong, I think you did a fantastic job.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    I think it's his face...she looks pretty comfortable to me. He looks a little stiff.

Ed
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I really like the lighting in #3 :)
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    Ed no sock on mine here. From my experience, using a sock on my BD approximates a round softbox (octa) very well, but I wanted the spill to be more contained and stay off of the wall as much as possible.

Christoper my first thought after looking at the image is that his right hand needs to be moved. Just having it dangle there makes him look too vertical and uncomfortable. Plus the tonality really draws you eyes to his hand. I really think that's where my biggest mistake on this photo was. Maybe hand in pocket and lean just a tad away from her in the upper body...

Thanks again everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas!