Winter Sunrise at Mt. Rainier

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited November 15, 2010 in Landscapes
OK, so it's technically still Fall, but Mt. Rainier doesn't know that, especially at 5,400 ft.

There will only be a few more days before Chinook Pass is closed for the season (typically until May) so I've been eying the forecast looking for a day that looked promising, and this morning looked like it could be pretty good so I left home around 2:30 AM and stood in the snow for over an hour waiting for sunrise.

1087260552_mFMKZ-XL.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Wow Ron
    I've literally been staring at this shot for 5 minutes trying to come up with a comment...critique...something
    I give up bowdown.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    just gorgeous, Ron... amazing how different Upper Tipsoo looks under a blanket of snow! and i must say, i envy your youthful stamina and ability to go without sleep!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • MrMoeMrMoe Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 11, 2010
    2:30am and then an hour in the cold. That's dedication right there. Looks like it was well worth it, nice.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Wow! Everything about this photo is great! Nice composition set-up with the reflection in the lake and the trees framing the view. The cloud hovering over the mountain really adds to direct your attention to the peak and great color in the sky. This is a wonderful winter scene. So, did you need snow shoes? A headlamp? :)
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Excellent Ron!! What an awesome scene!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • John!John! Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    WOW! incredible. Well worth rising early.
    John

"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Really beautiful!

coscorrosa wrote: »
    OK, so it's technically still Fall, but Mt. Rainier doesn't know that, especially at 5,400 ft.

There will only be a few more days before Chinook Pass is closed for the season (typically until May) so I've been eying the forecast looking for a day that looked promising, and this morning looked like it could be pretty good so I left home around 2:30 AM and stood in the snow for over an hour waiting for sunrise.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Outstanding shot!!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 12, 2010
    :jawdrop
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Great capture Ron. I have been thinking of getting down that way before the pass closes, but I have been working 12-14 hour days and haven't even had the opportunity to pick my camera up since my last road trip in early October.

You have inspired me and I just may have to ditch work for a day and get down this weekend.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Awesome alpenglow. You win the prize for beating the rest of us to winter!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Super shot. thanks for your efforts. Almost looks like a baby Lenticular cloud above Ranier. Great framing with the trees and reflections. We can only assume you had to have sawed down some trees for this shot!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Excellent Ron!! What an awesome scene!!

Ron

I never get sick of Rainier, and didn't have any good winter type shots of it really, so I was really psyched when I drove up at night and was able to see the mountain (and also that it wasn't completely clear so there would be color potential a few hours later at sunrise).
    John! wrote: »
    WOW! incredible. Well worth rising early.

Thanks! I didn't want to have to wait 6 months before being able to go back to this spot so it's definitely worth missing a few hours of sleep.
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Really beautiful!

Thanks!
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Wow Ron
    I've literally been staring at this shot for 5 minutes trying to come up with a comment...critique...something
    I give up bowdown.gif

And yet in giving up, you came up with a comment! There's a lesson to be learned there (give up early, then you don't have to waste 5 minutes!) lol3.gif

Seriously though, thanks :)
    squirl033 wrote: »
    just gorgeous, Ron... amazing how different Upper Tipsoo looks under a blanket of snow! and i must say, i envy your youthful stamina and ability to go without sleep!

I may not be very good at photography, but I've perfected the art of sleep deprivation these past few years :)

I've been to this spot with fresh snow before but the mountain was invisible, and then I've seen the snow in May when it opens, but it's just on the ground and not on the trees, and will soon get littered with foot prints. This was a perfect combination of fresh snow and a visible mountain.
    MrMoe wrote: »
    2:30am and then an hour in the cold. That's dedication right there. Looks like it was well worth it, nice.

Thanks!
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Wow! Everything about this photo is great! Nice composition set-up with the reflection in the lake and the trees framing the view. The cloud hovering over the mountain really adds to direct your attention to the peak and great color in the sky. This is a wonderful winter scene. So, did you need snow shoes? A headlamp? :)

I didn't need snow shoes, I had rain pants and gaiters, and only sunk about 2 ft. in the snow (I did throw my snow shoes in the back of the car just in case). And yes I had a head lamp, the moon had set a few hours before so it was completely dark when I got there.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Super shot. thanks for your efforts. Almost looks like a baby Lenticular cloud above Ranier. Great framing with the trees and reflections. We can only assume you had to have sawed down some trees for this shot!

No trees were harmed during the making of this photo! :)
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Awesome alpenglow. You win the prize for beating the rest of us to winter!

I have a huge deficit of winter/snow type shots that I'll hopefully make up for this winter. Just getting a head start :)
    zoomer wrote: »
    Winner! clap.gif

Thanks!
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    Great capture Ron. I have been thinking of getting down that way before the pass closes, but I have been working 12-14 hour days and haven't even had the opportunity to pick my camera up since my last road trip in early October.

You have inspired me and I just may have to ditch work for a day and get down this weekend.

Phil

You have my full endorsement to ditch work :) And I apologize if any of my footprints get in your comp, but it looks like there's been some fresh snow so you might not even notice them. Dress warmly and expect to sink about 2 feet in the snow :)
    kdog wrote: »
    :jawdrop

Thanks Joel!
    grimace wrote: »
    Outstanding shot!!

Thanks!
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Wow, Ron, that shot is wonderful! I love it.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I only have one thing to say.....

bowdown.gif

James