Options

sony dsc-r1 can now be preordered

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited September 17, 2005 in Cameras
sonystyle.com estimated shipping date = Nov 25th..

just a heads-up for anyone interested....

troy

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    windoze wrote:

troy
    The Sony flagship models have a history of issues. The 707, 717, and 828 all had issues. They were resolved with the 707 and the 717 but not the 828. Unless there's some sort of prize for having the first R1 on the block I would hold off and wait for a couple of reviews before rushing in.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    well who would you trust more,

Harry, who is sensible, makes rational decisions based on reviews and hands on experience. One who has been around and seen the the issues on 1st releases of new cameras.... who quite simply put knows what he's talking about ... recommends wait and see

or

Windoze,who is impulsive, inexperienced and simply put just cant wait to get a Sony back in his hands again, and who loves more megapixels eventhough it won't effect the outcome...recommends buy ASAP

ne_nau.gif
    troy
    Harryb wrote:
    The Sony flagship models have a history of issues. The 707, 717, and 828 all had issues. They were resolved with the 707 and the 717 but not the 828. Unless there's some sort of prize for having the first R1 on the block I would hold off and wait for a couple of reviews before rushing in.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2005
    There is nothing quite like the thrill of getting it fast and blazing the trails others fear to tread on ;-)

Harryb wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    There is nothing quite like the thrill of getting it fast and blazing the trails others fear to tread on ;-)
    Didn't Custer say that? :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    hahahahahaha

Harryb wrote:
    Didn't Custer say that? :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    My 0.0000001 of the f/stop on R1
    *side comment*
    I don't have a heart to post this on STF...
    */side comment*

I have been using Sony's DSC's since they first came out. 505, 505V, skipped on 7x7, got 828 before Xmas when it came out. I didn't try to do any pro work at the time, my post processing skills were VERY limited (they were practically absent). 828, its full manual settings, nice wide/tele fast lens made me to make a next step. I started to pay attention to details. I started trying low light shooting, and got immediately stumbled upon very high noise level. I explored the raw and full manual settings (brought up some memories from 30 years ago when I was using full manual film cameras:-). I learned PS (CS/CS2) and became pretty good in post processing.
    And then I started to notice that now the very camera that made me "grow" (828) is limiting me while shooting. RAW is only good for landscapes. School sports actions shots are only limited to a broad daylight. Indoors - well, you need to have some serious lighting equipment (which I got - thanks everybody who helped, especially Shay!) to make a decent shot. BIF - forget it. Even the sitting duck is usually a problem, unless you can get real close. Not that I'm much into bird/animal photography, but sometimes you see something on a hike - and you know that you can't do anything about it..:-(
    I started seriously contemplating getting dSLR about a year ago (my original "dream goal" was then just announced 20D, which, as you probably know, I finally got a few weeks ago). My need for a low light/action shots increased manifold after I started getting involved into late night/indoor sports/action photography, as well as "pro"-level indoor events shooting.
    Now, after just a few weeks of using dSLR, I can't seriously think I'm gonna get back to 828. Or R1, for that matter.

I just yesterday shot the same event with both cameras. Here is a vis-a-vis comparison of two shots taken within a couple of minutes of each other:

35501589-L.jpg

Canon 20D + Tamron 70-300 LD at ISO 800 vs. Sony 828 at ISO 400.
    Both shots presented "as is", with no PP applied. I don't think you need to guess which one is which...

Now R1 is supposed to bring huge CMOS sensor, so the noise level would *probably* go down. I didn't see ISO3200 samples, but I'm willing to assume their will be useful.

Now, does it solve *my* problems? No, not really..
    Yes, noise factor prolly would be gone. At the expense of a very useful AF hologram assist. 24mm is a nice change compared to 828's 28mm, but on the tele side my chances of getting a nice BIF shot are even less that they were.. All the "performance" factors remained pretty much the same. RAW is still for landscapes only. Burst is a joke (worse than it was).

What's left? Cool design. Nice competition for everybody.

Would it worth for me to upgrade? I highly doubt it. Even if I had only 828. Too many useful features to lose. But after I actually *had* used 20D, I can honestly say: "thanks, but no thanks!".
    It's a tres cool toy. If I were just coming out of my "505 age", I would jump on it. But *now* it's "too little too late". I have eaten enough lotus from the Dark Side to never go back..

Just my totally personal HO. No pun intended.

Cheers!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2005
    it looks good to me ( but i dont know better ) ........ but what do you think ( c'mon i know you are definetly keeping an eye on this one - so what ya think so far ) ?

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    windoze wrote:
    it looks good to me ( but i dont know better ) ........ but what do you think ( c'mon i know you are definetly keeping an eye on this one - so what ya think so far ) ?

troy, it does look real good. you'll like it for grab shots, and family stuff. you'll use your 20d and 400L for most of your zoo stuff, birds, and wildlife.

i'm getting one and having it shipped directly to dan at maxmax for ir-conversion - having a large-sensor, sealed body/lens design, with that sweet zeiss glass, excellent focal range, hoo-boy :D
  • Options
    its exactly why i ordered it and i knew you were going to do this.....

troy
    andy wrote:
    troy, it does look real good. you'll like it for grab shots, and family stuff. you'll use your 20d and 400L for most of your zoo stuff, birds, and wildlife.

i'm getting one and having it shipped directly to dan at maxmax for ir-conversion
    - having a large-sensor, sealed body/lens design, with that sweet zeiss glass, excellent focal range, hoo-boy :D
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    andy wrote:

i'm getting one and having it shipped directly to dan at maxmax for ir-conversion - having a large-sensor, sealed body/lens design, with that sweet zeiss glass, excellent focal range, hoo-boy :D
    ahaa so that's why you sold the Rebel :D

Fred
  • Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2005
    I ordered mine.....
    windoze wrote:

troy
    ...just diving in head first .rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 16, 2005
    Looks like a really nice camera thumb.gifthumb.gif

I hate ordering through Sony Style though eek7.gif I bet if you wait til next month, you'll be able to pre-order it with free shipping for less than $900 from online sites like Circus City or the Good Guys :D I did this with my 828 and got it for $875. It shipped the same day (as soon as units were available) as the ones from Sony Style ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2005
    So is this the digital rolleiflex I've been wishing for? Let's see:
    1. Waist level shooting
    2. Non-interchangable lenses
    3. Not too large given it's resolution

If the quality is there, this just might be a perfect camera for street/travel/full length portraits. I might just have to try one.

How fast do we expect it to be? Compare to a 20D or 5D?

How compact? I can read the description, but I'd like to undersdand how it compares to a 20D with a 24-70 (say).
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    rutt wrote:
    1. Waist level shooting

If the quality is there, this just might be a perfect camera for street/travel/full length portraits. I might just have to try one.

How compact? I can read the description, but I'd like to undersdand how it compares to a 20D with a 24-70 (say).

you'd notice the shutter lag vs. a 20d; won't be a problem for portraits, and most street work. it's not going to replace a 20d or 1D Mark IIN or D2X for sports shooting. the image quality, from the samples i've seen, is really good. the big sensor, closed body and great glass/focal range are a nice combo.

here it is, next to a canon 350D
  • Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    Speed ?
    rutt wrote:
    1. Waist level shooting

The R1 wont be as fast as a Canon 20D, but you bet
    it will be a whole lot faster than the ol' Rolleiflex rolleyes1.gif

Peter Dumont
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    rutt wrote:
    you bet
    it will be a whole lot faster than the ol' Rolleiflex rolleyes1.gif

Peter Dumont

Maybe not in terms of shutter lag.
    If not now, when?