SP Feedback

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 15, 2010 in People
I was asked for an image that is supposed to go with an acknowledgement for my taking pictures for my daughter's school. Naturally, I have no pictures of myself other than an old SP when I was first experimenting.

C&C on these two is greatly appreciated. I can re-shoot today if needed. I was just using one speedlite in a large umbrella and a silver reflector. ISO200, 1/160s, f/8

1087651141_h6Aah-XL.jpg

1087650964_Fjvz6-XL.jpg

And now I will happily stay on the other side of the camera....
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I like the first one if cropped to just head and shoulders. T shirt with rolled up sleeve and blue jeans projects a more casual image for a head shot. Although I shoot alot in blue jeans. You reflector seems to be low if you check the catch light in your eye. Maybe a little more contrast between the hightlight and shadow side of the face. Second one is too serious for school kids. Hope that helps.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    More personality in the 2nd one, but it looks a tiny bit fierce... If you use either, crop them WAY down, IMO. The CL side of your face is slightly dark in 2 as well - as Hackbone points out, check the position of the reflector.

I prefer the more side-on position of the first one, but but it will immediately be even more interesting if you're leaning forward a touch, ie onto your own knee, or a small table, stool.... anything to break up the angles.

Neither of these are "bad", but I'd say have another crack at it if you have time. SP's are HARD - I've been battling a project of my own on that score for months now and still haven't come up with what I want. That's the downside; the upside is it spurs me to keep trying again, and I ALWAYS learn something in the process.

Sure wish I had your nice lighting gear though (and presumably space) - drooling with envy!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Charles & Diva, thanks for the feedback. The image will be in a tribute book for a fundraiser, so not for child consumption, but point well-taken regarding the feel. It is less of head shot than just a picture of the photographer, which is why I have the camera in the first image. Losing 40 pounds would help the first one as well ;-) I actually dropped the reflector in the first one (it is higher in the second one -- which is the earlier image). I initially thought that the shadowing under my chin was a bit heavy and needed a little fill from below, but it looks like that might have been a blown call. Charles, is the contrast in #2 more along the lines of what you are thinking would be good in #1, or more in between?
    Diva, I'll see what I can come up with to help the pose some...

Diva, regarding equipment, since I thought (stupidly) that this wasn't going to some long process, I figured I'd just use a speedlite and brolly. So the equipment is extremely basic. I find that I really struggle with is the 1 light + reflector. I do much better w/ 2 lights since I have independent control. I think I was intent on using the reflector for exactly this reason though (perhaps not the best mix -- SP=hard, getting lighting you struggle with=hard, doing both=4xHard (I think hard works like f/stops...).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 12, 2010
    Andrew, I like the shading in the second one because it always makes the face slimer. (is that a word?)

On the one light what exactly are you using, a parabolic reflector, a umbrella, a softbox, etc. If using a softbox it really should be out in front of you with just the back edge lighting you. Then the reflector should be out front and not to the side as most folks try to use it.
    edited November 12, 2010
    I was using a reflective umbrella aimed in front of me (so I'm catching the back side of the umbrella). 40". The umbrella itself was about 5' off. Both the reflector and umbrella were at about 45-degree off axis (the reflector was a littler closer on axis than the key). Key is about 35-40 degrees up. Bottom of the umbrella is about eye-level. To go with SB's, I'd have to set up the strobes. My stubborn side wants to get the one-speedlite + reflector right so I know I can do it.

I thought about changing the umbrella to shoot-through, which would allow me closer in, and thus higher contrast.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 12, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Andrew, I like the shading in the second one because it always makes the face slimer. (is that a word?)
    I think it is "slimmer", unless you mean "slimier" :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 12, 2010
    You have a shoot thru, just turn the umbrella around unless it is black on the outside. Spelling with fast typing is not my forte. Sorry about that.
    edited November 12, 2010
    Yes, the umbrella has a removable shell. Thanks.
    Updates coming soon....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I like #1. You've got the camera in there and a friendly air about you. Could use a bit more fill, but it still is a nice shot.

#2 is scaring me, Andrew!
    edited November 12, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I was using a reflective umbrella aimed in front of me (so I'm catching the back side of the umbrella). 40". The umbrella itself was about 5' off. Both the reflector and umbrella were at about 45-degree off axis (the reflector was a littler closer on axis than the key). Key is about 35-40 degrees up. Bottom of the umbrella is about eye-level. To go with SB's, I'd have to set up the strobes. My stubborn side wants to get the one-speedlite + reflector right so I know I can do it.

I thought about changing the umbrella to shoot-through, which would allow me closer in, and thus higher contrast.

Dude, 80% of my shots are 1-speedlight+reflector, so (for once!) I feel like I can chime in with experience.

The key thing for me is to GET THE REFLECTOR CLOSE ENOUGH on the opposite side of you than the one that's lit (well duh, but you know what I mean!). Once you do that, you have ALL the control in the world just by modifying its angle (I'm assuming you're using it on a stand/holder? If not, then HEARTILY recommend investing in one. But, for short term use, clamp it to a chair, a music-stand - they make excellent emergency 'flector holders! - or enlist a junior assistant to hold it for you :D).

Agree to use it as a shoot-thru - looks like you have plenty of room to spread out, so you don't need to control the spill the way I do in my tiny living room ... and even then I'm happier using my Softliter or a shoot-thru when I want to maximise the reflector (and get some wraparound light as well).

I'd get the light closer to you too; you can always dial down the strength with FEC.

Oh, and if you are donig this with the self-timer rather than a remote, take it from all-too-bitter experience: get the remote! $20 very well spent :D

ETA: Also, if you reshoot, consider a shirt with a collar. Doesn't need to be formal - just a tennis/polo style shirt if you want to keep it supercasual - but you may find you like the way it frames face and balances the shot. Just a thought, since you're experimenting!
    edited November 12, 2010
    Okay, the collar isn't going to happen. I only own one (I think), and it is white.... I'm really a pure jeans/t-shirt sort of guy. Point well-taken, though.

Some different looks I tried out. I now that my face remains broadlit in these, but the overall felt better here (less torso).

1087901844_vagLz-XL-1.jpg

1087902021_jrZrx-XL-1.jpg

1087902319_gUirS-XL-1.jpg

1087902514_it3Yy-XL-1.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 12, 2010
    Andrew, these are very nice. Like 2 & 3 the most. If you have another reflector try to put some light on the background to create separation. I like larger catchlights in the eye. Eyes being the windows to the soul thiing. When you get a chance get the light as close as possible and see what happens or paint the catchlights in. Yes, and polo shirts look cool with blue jeans. Good job.
    edited November 12, 2010
    #3 is my favorite, although 4 and 6 good too (although I prefer 4e the way you're holding the camera in 6 looks too much to me like you're holding a baby!! Ok, so our cameras ARE our babies, but.... oh, to heck with it -maybe it's just me being daft!)

In any case HUGELY prefer these - well done! Next time I'd probably get the light a tiny bit higher (that catchlight is at 3-4 o'clock) and also remember if you raise the light - you can use more than one reflector. Even a white sheet on the ground will bang enough light back up to your face if you need some fill from underneath.

Oh, and crop #3 closer (See Mitchell? SEE???? I do listen rolleyes1.gif). Actually, all kidding aside, that would look great in a square crop. But regardless, just lose some of the headroom thumb.gif
    edited November 12, 2010
    Thank you again. Charles, when you say 2 & 3, are you using my numbering or did you mean 2&3 from this supplementary posting (which I numbered 4 & 5)?
    Diva, the baby/football short of look was what I had in mind in holding it... :D

Thanks!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 12, 2010
    Sorry, I meant 4 & 5. Holding the camera like a baby seems dorky.....sorry. The longer lens is bothering me. (Although it costs as much as a baby) . The white lens jumps out and really shouldn't. Maybe another black L lens. I really like the lighting in the second grouping.
    edited November 12, 2010
    No problems re dorky idea.. isn't the first and won't be the last.
    I was using my black zoom for the picture, though could swap. I debated on the white/black and was worried that the black would just fade away too much.
    I did a little more playing with a gridded speedlite for a hair lite. Aiming those things w/o any modeling and being the model is a pain....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I like the second set better, and I think #5 is my favorite. Good job.
    edited November 12, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I did a little more playing with a gridded speedlite for a hair lite. Aiming those things w/o any modeling and being the model is a pain....

YOU SAID IT!!!! Seriously - even with a mirror or tethering, it's just hard to get everything lined up. And, of course, every time you get up to look at what's the on the back of the camera, you have to hope that you go back to the same place when you return to "subject' position....... rolleyes1.gifD
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    YOU SAID IT!!!! Seriously - even with a mirror or tethering, it's just hard to get everything lined up. And, of course, every time you get up to look at what's the on the back of the camera, you have to hope that you go back to the same place when you return to "subject' position....... rolleyes1.gifD

Haha, so true.

With my most recent SP project, I had gazillions of shots that weren't in focus.... or I was making a face.... or I was in the wrong spot and out of the frame. It is hard to shoot yourself even with a remote. To make it worse I shot it with the 70-200 and was going for a shallow dof.

Andrew (you handsome dude): I like #3 (the first of the new set) because of the expression. The light is so much better in this set. iloveyou.gif
    edited November 14, 2010
    Thanks, OWS & Heather.
    I think I took about 300+ images and kept 5.
    At one point my daughter was wanting to fire the remote but framing the camera is hard with the trigger grip head I use. Her hand is still a little small for it.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 15, 2010
    Later that same day using a strip box, a gridded speedlite and a SB (one the second one only):

1091710858_VJair-XL.jpg

1091714094_duESo-XL.jpg

Aiming the hair light is driving me nuts. If I come from the other side, it tends to rake the face. From CR too much hits the body. There is a 20-degree grid on the speedlite. I'm a bit out of ceiling height to put the hair light center over the b/g. I guess I need to add a bit of a flag to the bottom to reduce the scatter more, or work the angles to get the hair light further around back. The hair was at about 30-degrees to CL (or 150-degrees however you want to measure), the fill at about 20-degrees CL, and the strip was at about 80-degrees CR and in front of the subject shooting across.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I still like #1 the best.
    I just don't care for how you are cradling the camera in the second bunch of photos. It just looks too contrived.

1 out of 300 for SP is a good hit rate!