#63 - Open Study - ideas

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited November 15, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been trying to take photos off and on and haven't had much success over the last few days. Today I went out and took some of these, and also took one of my parakeet <grin>. Do any of these look good enough for this challenge? I kind of favor #2.

1. Branches in the Fall

P1030472branchesInfall.jpg

2. Twigs in the Fall
P1030467-twigsInfall.jpg

3. Rain Clouds in the Fall
P1030477rainclouds.jpg

4. Charlie is a Good Boy
P1030429-charlie1.jpg

5. Charlie is a Good Boy - Posterized
P1030429-charlie1-poster.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    That first one is darned Slick Jenn!
    tom wise
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    That first one is darned Slick Jenn!

Slick is good? Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited November 12, 2010
    ok I need help ... I got one vote for #1, and I like #2 ... I need a tie breaker..
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    I can't find anything in 1 to grab me...but 2 on the other hand is quite grabby......to me..........
    grabby is good :~}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    i like #1 the most... with its colors and contrast. i am not too enamored with #2, as the foreground blurred leaves seem a little too prominent and distracting/messy. i am wondering how a closer/square crop would work. i like the window/framing effect otherwise (usually am not too much of a fan of framing, but it can work well in this case).
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited November 14, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    i like #1 the most... with its colors and contrast. i am not too enamored with #2, as the foreground blurred leaves seem a little too prominent and distracting/messy. i am wondering how a closer/square crop would work. i like the window/framing effect otherwise (usually am not too much of a fan of framing, but it can work well in this case).

Ok .. how about now.. #1 or #2 new crop?

P1030472branchesInfall.jpg

2. New Crop

P1030467-twigsInfall-squcrop.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Of these last two, I prefer the first one. Of your original set, I actually prefer #3 if you could maybe bump up the contrast in the clouds (or something) to give them a little more 'oomph'--maybe try this one in black & white. I like the colors in #1, but #3 is my favorite of the bunch.

I just have to be different. :D

Sherry
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I agree with Sherry. The other ones seem a bit cluttered - no real focal point. Sort of like my cave shots!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
    edited November 14, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I agree with Sherry. The other ones seem a bit cluttered - no real focal point. Sort of like my cave shots!
    slpollett wrote: »
    Of these last two, I prefer the first one. Of your original set, I actually prefer #3 if you could maybe bump up the contrast in the clouds (or something) to give them a little more 'oomph'--maybe try this one in black & white. I like the colors in #1, but #3 is my favorite of the bunch.

I just have to be different. :D

Sherry

Ok ladies ... hows this? Which one out of all of them? :)

P1030477rainclouds-bw.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited November 14, 2010
    Hmmmm. Ok, maybe black & white doesn't do it after all. (Worth a shot to try, though.)

I hope you don't mind, but I took your shot and bumped up the contrast (sort of a lot) and darkened it up some (but did not convert it to black & white). The clouds are more defined and that's really what I was trying to suggest. Try it yourself & see if you like it.

1090870647_K3qWG-L.jpg

Sherry
    edited November 14, 2010
    Hmmmm. Ok, maybe black & white doesn't do it after all. (Worth a shot to try, though.)

I hope you don't mind, but I took your shot and bumped up the contrast (sort of a lot) and darkened it up some (but did not convert it to black & white). The clouds are more defined and that's really what I was trying to suggest. Try it yourself & see if you like it.

Sherry

Like this?

P1030477rainclouds3.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited November 14, 2010
    Yep, like that. I even prefer the clouds a little darker--makes look more ominous.

Sherry
    edited November 15, 2010
    Yep, like that. I even prefer the clouds a little darker--makes look more ominous.

Sherry

I like it this way too, but I also like the 2 with the branches and it was hard for me to know which one I'd enter. I finally picked the first one with more branches.. but I really liked the 2nd one that had a branch framed with out of focus branches. ack! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)