Options

product photography for insurance?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I was just wondering if anyone does this, or thinks this would be a good service to offer?

I was thinking people may want their valuables photographed for insurance reasons. For a fee, the photographer could go to the house, and photograph each item using a light box or what have you.

I was thinking for security reasons, of just handing over the memory card to the client, that way you the photographer would not have a record of what they have except for memory.

But that raises another question, if something happens, you'll be a suspect until ruled out. So is it even worth the effort.

A thought would be it would be a good idea to get bonded, or what ever the American equivalent is. But theres still the suspect problem.

Does anyone do this? What are your experiences?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    This has been done for a very long time....as a child my parent hired a photog to come and document everything that wqs valuable..including power tools and then a lrge group of all the cheaper hand tools....
    i di this for sometime in the late 70's early 80"s....then it sorta dried up...no one wanted to pay to have it done.....that is what I have run into in the past 6 or so years....and with digital .......well you see
    where i am headed........for insurance you do not need portrait grade photos just to prove you owned something...........

It could be very different where you live
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    dont really ahve a clue if this is something that is needed around here, and the thought "why not do it yourself" came to mind with everyone having digital cameras, half of those being dslrs. But there's alot fo people out there that dont like to do things for themselves and thought this might be tempting for those.

Just wondering if its worth it with the possible headaches. :) How much did they use to pay for this? I was thinking a base rate to be there, and then so much per item photographed. Normally I don't hand over digital files unless they pay for it, but its not like they are going to frame these in a 16x20 over the fireplace. : ) so I don't really mind handing over unedited pictures.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    dont really ahve a clue if this is something that is needed around here, and the thought "why not do it yourself" came to mind with everyone having digital cameras, half of those being dslrs. But there's alot fo people out there that dont like to do things for themselves and thought this might be tempting for those.

Just wondering if its worth it with the possible headaches. :) How much did they use to pay for this? I was thinking a base rate to be there, and then so much per item photographed. Normally I don't hand over digital files unless they pay for it, but its not like they are going to frame these in a 16x20 over the fireplace. : ) so I don't really mind handing over unedited pictures.

i would just figure out an hourly or a flat rate and include 3 disks of images...1 for insurance co, 1 for safety deposit box and one for home safe.......
    things to remeber you are working isnde some ones home with their personal valuables and this includes wedding rings they wear and other jewelry they wear daily.....so you need to be insured and bonded...

Since you are interested talk with YOUR insurance agent to see if he will spread the word about your endeavor...that is how I started out and then offer to come back in 6months to shoot any newly acquired items and make 3 new disks......but only charge for time doing the work and the Cd so if you ahd to shoot 5 to 10 new items the next time charge like $20 - $50 You could even use rewritable disks and let them know you will need them back and will replace them with new ones....no need to tell them they are rewritable.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    i would just figure out an hourly or a flat rate and include 3 disks of images...1 for insurance co, 1 for safety deposit box and one for home safe.......
    things to remeber you are working isnde some ones home with their personal valuables and this includes wedding rings they wear and other jewelry they wear daily.....so you need to be insured and bonded...

Since you are interested talk with YOUR insurance agent to see if he will spread the word about your endeavor...that is how I started out and then offer to come back in 6months to shoot any newly acquired items and make 3 new disks......but only charge for time doing the work and the Cd so if you ahd to shoot 5 to 10 new items the next time charge like $20 - $50 You could even use rewritable disks and let them know you will need them back and will replace them with new ones....no need to tell them they are rewritable.

cost of living and cost of doing business are both pretty low for me. I figure $30 to $50 an hour is my goal, so I was thinking of starting off with $50 to visit and do the pictures, and then $3 per item to be photographed with a minimum of 20 items, or something like that.

I would bring a light box/tent for the smaller items like jewelery, cards and small collectables.

A large white sheet to put the bigger items on that are clean, and for the huge items and dirty tools, just photograph them where they are.

I was planning on just giving them the memory card after the fact, but its proving to be hard to find some cheap cf cards around 1gb. Burning a few cd's on the spot wouldnt be hard to do. I dont have luck with cd or dvd-rw's, they never work the 2nd time after they are formatted for me. and disks are cheap so may as well just use cd/dvd-r's.

I wonder how you get bonded down here in the states. Just go to the police station or do you have to go to town hall? I suppose I could google it. : )
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    How to get Bonded ...even online .................
    think I would start here, explanations and easy to understand...... http://www.jwsuretybonds.com/blog/how-to-get-licensed-bonded

Due to your business being in the photography field you may want to also look at this
    site for info............... http://www.cnasurety.com/products/

• Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    So this is something you have to pay for. I was just thinking they did a background check and shows that it is clean and you are probably a trust worthy individual. Didnt realize it was more like insurance in case something were to happen. Now im wondering how much this will cost. I guess Ill have to look up local bonding agents sometime. : ) Thanks for the advice.

I did look up bonding but I wasnt sure which one was the type I wanted. None of it seemed to fit, now i know! :)
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    So this is something you have to pay for. I was just thinking they did a background check and shows that it is clean and you are probably a trust worthy individual. Didnt realize it was more like insurance in case something were to happen. Now im wondering how much this will cost. I guess Ill have to look up local bonding agents sometime. : ) Thanks for the advice.

I did look up bonding but I wasnt sure which one was the type I wanted. None of it seemed to fit, now i know! :)

Most bonds run $100 - 500 per year......some insurance companies also sell surety bonds.....

• Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    Its a shame I have to get cheap CF cards if im going to give them the card, SD is usually cheaper. I can get a 4gb sd card from office depot *at least this week gone by* with a coupon for $5. All the 1gb cf cards are usually around $10. I was hoping or find the 1gb cf on average of like $3 at most.
  • Options
    PeterR717PeterR717 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I'm not sure most people (who would be in the market for someone to do this for them vs. doing it themselves) would know what to do with a CF card once they had it. I think an easier route for you may be explaining that you do not wish to leave the house with the images. Then, if they have a computer, just bring a card reader, plug into the computer, download the images and burn a disc with them on their computer. Most people have some sort of program to burn cds even if they don't know they have it or how to use it. Then you can format the CF card on your camera in front of them and you're done. It wouldn't be much different than if you were asked to come take a portrait in their home and saw the stuff they had that way.

I think the biggest obstacle here is providing a reason for people to pay you to do this when they can pull out their cell and snap a picture which would be just fine for proving the item existed. (Or even just keeping receipts for that matter.) I planned to and offered to do this a while back but didn't even get the tiniest bit of interest. Being bonded and insured and getting referrals from an insurance agent may help though. Good Luck!
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    This is no business around here - main reason being the insurance companies do not accept this kind of proof.

I see a practical difficulty too. Say you buy a new PC - are you going to pay the photographer to come and shoot it? I think not.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    I would guess that people that need this service woudlnt call you in for one item, but would once or twice a year to take pics of new items. And im guessing the items they would be documenting would be expensive jewelery or other high end valuables. perhaps toss in a few lower end things while your there since it doesn't cost much more.

What sort of proof do you believe insurance companies require?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I would guess that people that need this service woudlnt call you in for one item, but would once or twice a year to take pics of new items. And im guessing the items they would be documenting would be expensive jewelery or other high end valuables. perhaps toss in a few lower end things while your there since it doesn't cost much more.

What sort of proof do you believe insurance companies require?

For normal household insurance they like to see purchase receipts and an assay report for valuables. Around here most people insure for replacement value so the age of an item is often relevant, another reason they like to see receipts.

For expensive jewellry people have their items valued for insurance by a jeweller who provides a description and photograph - at least around here. Perhaps the jeweller is a better bet for the service than the owner of the piece.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    When we were getting our insurance through the agent, he didnt specify that we needed the receipts. We have them, just not located in one place. For my business insurance, they didnt ask for receipts, just wanted to know the model/serial numbers of the items. Could just be different for the hollanders. : )