Along the Stanislaus River

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited November 17, 2010 in Landscapes
I usually just lurk here and admire the beautiful shots that everyone posts, but thought I'd share a few shots to get some feedback.

These were taken when I went to Scout camp with one of my sons. This is along the Stanislaus river in norther California.

Thanks,

Mike

4878415060_9acc73cd49_b.jpg

#2 (posted before in the HDR thread)
4861877569_603323448f_b.jpg

5050003784_370952436c_b.jpg
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• hersh86hersh86 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Very nice! Love the reflections in #1
    Nikon D5000
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
    Nikkor 55-200 VR
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Really liking that 2nd one with the clear water and the reflection and a sun star as another bonus.

Stephanie
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Thanks for looking and commenting - it is very much appreciated.

Mike
    flickr
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I'm drawn to #2 & 3. Dont have much to nit about for #2 since it's pretty much perfect. #3 might be just a bit unbalanced with too much weight on the righthand side. A tighter crop with less of the extreme left might solve that. Great lines throughout, though!
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Steve - Thanks for commenting. Are you suggesting more of an 8x10 crop flush to the right side? I'll take a look and see how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Mike
    flickr
  • EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    All are really nice images; (IMHO) Main improvement w/ # 1; the left side needs to go. That dark shadowed tangle of the tree going into the water really detracts from the much more peaceful & serene setting on the Right side. # 2 very nice as is. #3 is almost there, but I feel a slight crop of the bottom above the bright rock in the lower mid-right, and a bit off the left to somewhere around the point of the inverted (rock) triangle on the left waterline. (A
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Im so glad you posted these they are so beautiful you did a great job.Thanks for sharing:)
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Funny, I also used scout camps as an excuse to go out and take nature pictures.

I agree with Garry above, the first would benefit from cropping on the left to remove the tree trunk and the dark shadows. The second is gorgeous, great HDR treatment, very clean. I just love the diagonal lines in the last one, they lead my eyes to the waterfall.

Cheers.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    All are very nice IMHO. Love the reflections!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Very nice work, enjoyed going through your gallery
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 15, 2010
    Gary - Thanks for the comments. Sounds like some cropping is in order.

Jackie - Thank you for commenting.

marcpro - Thanks for your comment as well along with the confirmation on the crop.

Ron - I'm glad you enjoyed the shots.

Awais - Thank you for commenting and for the pass through my photos. I welcome any input you have there as well.

Thanks much,

Mike
    flickr
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I really like two and three. Love the seeing the bottom of the river, lovely long composition. also the second shot is very geometric, love it.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Wonderful shots. The water is so still! Great compositions.