Options

sports mode was right!

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited November 22, 2010 in Technique
when I first started shooting a DSLR in 2007 with a Nikon D40 (I shoot dirt bikes/MX) I quickly found the sports mode and away i went. when posting pictures here I was told on multiple occasions that sports mode was sacrilege/blasphemous etc etc. when I upgraded to the D300 in 2009 I found a decline in quality as I struggled with ISO/Fstop. I "got better" and made some strides etc. with the biggest realization that (on sunny days) higher ISO (5-800) allowed higher apertures which improved focus and happiness prevailed. but they still weren't "right" and I was again labeled a blasphemer for daring to expound on the virtues of higher apertures (15-25). :smack

on further review I conceded that while focus was improved the key indicator was that riders faces were mostly dark under the goggle/visor area.

I upgraded to a D700 this summer and kept at it. the upgrades were not a frivilous mad spending spree, rather a "we're going to replace it rather than fix it" from Best Buy when the cameras went in for service under the Black Tie extneded warranty.

I vowed to improve and yesterday had my "best results" in terms of clarity/keepers etc. I shot mostly around 500 ISO and mostly in the 5-10 f stop range, but this required a fairly high shutter, approx 2000-2500.

so in the end, sports mode wasn't far off the mark in terms of shutter/fstop. :deadhorse:hotfood:click:devbobo

1089158766_PEGPi-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 14, 2010
    And your point is??

Sports mode is a Basic mode for beginners with DSLRs to capture good pictures of fast moving sports activity, and it does a pretty darn good job. I use it sometimes. It favors faster shutter speeds, higher ISOs, and larger apertures, but not wide open at times. In bright sunlight, shooting high speed moving targets is certainly easier than in the dim light of dawn or sunset. Talk to the guys shooting football after dark about challenges to sports shooters.

Whether Sports Mode does a better job than a good pro sports shooter in Manual or Av or Tv mode, chosen properly, I rather doubt.

But if you are happy with your images, however you got them, all is good, right?

In the end, it is how your picture looks. None of your viewers really cares whether you choose to shoot in A,B,C, or D. Just what does the picture look like.

I like your picture with the out of focus rider, with the dirt clods sharply captured. Well done, Amadeus.

Why are you beating a dead horse besides a pizza pie?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    And your point is??

I never said there was one.
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    It's about time thumb.gif