Dss 63--portraits

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 15, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I GOT MY EXIF BACK!!! :) Unfortunately I only figured it out yesterday.

I was out in the front yard and had family over and managed a couple of candid shots of my uncle-in-law :) He is rarely photoraphed, but I like how these two came out. Plus I'm also continuing to practice taking candid portraits with my new 50mm lens:D.

Please let me know if any of these work for you.

1.Unposed--caught him listening to his wife.
1089065979_TZVEQ-XL-1.jpg

2. 1089065702_5HSPy-XL-1.jpg

and a sp
1089066024_iRbZc-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 14, 2010
    1. the sun spot (or what I think might be a sun spot) in number one is just too distracting to me and takes so much away from the face.
    2. I have done shots like this before. The only thing I would do on this one is to remove the odd bits of shadow on the light side of his upper lip and recrop to loose the light spot on the floor on the right side of the image.
    3. is my favorite of the bunch. I would suggest making the background above the subject completely black and remove the light. You could try a soft black vinette to lesson the effects of the zebra arm rest and the elbow some.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Liz, I agree with Joyce. #3 for me too.

Yes, darken the top right corner.

As to the bottom left corner, I kinda like the stripes because they are echoed by the shadows on the arm. What I would do is darken the area so that it doesn't pull the viewer's eye away from the subject's eyes!!

A little subtle PP (all doable in LR) and you're there.

Virginia

Email
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Liz, I agree with Joyce. #3 for me too.

Yes, darken the top right corner.

As to the bottom left corner, I kinda like the stripes because they are echoed by the shadows on the arm. What I would do is darken the area so that it doesn't pull the viewer's eye away from the subject's eyes!!

A little subtle PP (all doable in LR) and you're there.

Virginia

Thanks Joyce and Virginia.
    Ok so I worked on #3 and Virginia I tried hard to use a subtle PP approach--it was so hard rolleyes1.gif.

Also #1 is my favorite of the three because of the sun and how it has the weird effects on the shot--but I'm glad you pointed out it doesn't work for you. sigh--love that shot.

Ok here is my reworked version.

Too much--not enough?
    Tentative title "Seeking the light"
    1090252955_kFpir-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Works for me. thumb.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Love you reworked versionthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    This last one is quite right........looks great!
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I agree that the reworked #3 is the best.

Sherry
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Really like the finished image. I love the softness.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Thank you guys.
    It was so nice to dive in after my accidentally imposed EXIF snafu absence.

I enjoyed working quickly with the available light from the window as the sun went down, I had but a short time to get the SP right. I think I only managed 3 shots and that was that.
    Portrait work is not usually my thing, but I continue to learn here:) and my new lens gives me the excuse to do so.

Thanks for the tips--I wound up really liking the final image myself.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Just so you know, I really like the #1 as well. There are minor things I would do to it if it were mine just to "finish" it, but I do like the light!!

What would I do with it?

I'd crop off the left hand side (probably using a 1.39x1 ratio), brighten the dark sleeve at the upper right and increase the blacks overall. (This can all be done in LR) I would probably also try the high pass filter in PS to see how it looked. Or increase clarity in LR.

For the challenge though I'd stick with #3!!

Virginia

Email