Help me out with my DX / FX math for a minute

AaronJAndersonAaronJAnderson Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited November 14, 2010 in Cameras
Let's say I've get the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - a full frame lens.

I put it on my APS-C sensor camera.

It has a 127mm field of view, correct? That's the same field of view if I have my DX tele set to 127mm, right? Just making sure I'm not crazy.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 14, 2010
    FX and DX lenses are both displaying actual focal lengths. The crop factor and resulting narrower FOV is simply the result of the smaller imager size, exactly the same as if you used a FF imager and cropped it to the same DX imager size.

A DX zoom lens displaying 127mm, as in your example, will have an equivalent FOV to a 190mm lens on a FF camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AaronJAndersonAaronJAnderson Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Hmm... I halfway understand...

in simple terms:

If I take a picture with the 85mm attached to an APS-C camera, and a picture with my (crappy nikon) 55-200mm dx formatted lens, what focal length would the zoom have to be set at for the photos to be the "same"?
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    If I take a picture with the 85mm attached to an APS-C camera, and a picture with my (crappy nikon) 55-200mm dx formatted lens, what focal length would the zoom have to be set at for the photos to be the "same"?

85mm

but they would both have an FOV equivalent to 127mm in FX, because your sensor has 'cropped' the image down by 1.5X
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 14, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    85mm

but they would both have an FOV equivalent to 127mm in FX, because your sensor has 'cropped' the image down by 1.5X

15524779-Ti.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AaronJAndersonAaronJAnderson Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    That makes sense. Thanks guys.