Outdoor Portrait Shot

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited November 14, 2010 in People
OK, so I am trying to better myself in portrait shots. For some reason, I keep coming back to this shot. I did minimal PP work on it. Let me know what I could have done differently? Not sure if it is good enough for the Refinery forum just yet. Thanks for the C&C.

Ron

1090404010_CQYya-XL.jpg
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    It's difficult to manage and deal with harsh sunlight in PP so my take is to avoid that when ever possible for formal or informal portraits.
    That being said, I think this is as good as it gets under the circumstances.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I'm gonna disagree with above only because I recently experimented and got some decent results from an outside shoot lol.

You have to use cross lighting with the sun as your back/hair light. I got the idea from a strobist article and tried it this weekend.

Almost SOOC (modded contrast via curves)
    5172722341_ed6b8999f8.jpg

This is literally the sun lighting her back (about 45* off) and my flash lighting her front (again, about 45* off).

Until this idea, I didn't even believe one should shoot in the day time when the sun wasn't within and hour of being up/down. This was shot at noon lol.

I hope this helps :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited November 14, 2010
    Very good results but you did have to make some accommodations for this to work.
    Using the flash to fill and having your subject in the right place not to mention aperture and shutter speed.
    Works well within close range but at longer distances flash will not help unless remotely fired at a closer proximity to your subject.
    As for the original image above, I don't feel there's much more that can be done asides from re-shooting it to get any better.
    There's a hot spot on his cheek and the shadow under his chin...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Very good results but you did have to make some accommodations for this to work.
    Using the flash to fill and having your subject in the right place not to mention aperture and shutter speed.
    Works well within close range but at longer distances flash will not help unless remotely fired at a closer proximity to your subject.
    As for the original image above, I don't feel there's much more that can be done asides from re-shooting it to get any better.
    There's a hot spot on his cheek and the shadow under his chin...

I did use my flash to attempt to cover some shadows, but I did not notice the shadow under his chin till it was mentioned in this post. Dang, I thought I had it right.
    :confused
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
    edited November 14, 2010
    As I mentioned, I think this is as good as it gets without re-shooting...
    And the results are fairly good of your attempt :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 14, 2010
    Oh, I was definitely referring to off camera remotes flash. I put an sb600 on a stand with umbrella for fill. It helps tons to get away from camera mounted flashes. (I was shooting from a distance with a 70-200)

Op, I'd definitely look into off camera flash systems if you haven't already. It works wonders for controlling your light. Instead of worrying too much about the sun in your subject's eyes. :) it gives an added layer of flexibility to your outdoor shooting.

As for your current shot, it's not overblown so I'd go with it :) Just a little squinty, that's all :P

edited November 14, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Oh, I was definitely referring to off camera remotes flash. I put an sb600 on a stand with umbrella for fill. It helps tons to get away from camera mounted flashes. (I was shooting from a distance with a 70-200)

Op, I'd definitely look into off camera flash systems if you haven't already. It works wonders for controlling your light. Instead of worrying too much about the sun in your subject's eyes. :) it gives an added layer of flexibility to your outdoor shooting.

As for your current shot, it's not overblown so I'd go with it :) Just a little squinty, that's all :P

Wow
    By coincidence I just got a hot shoe mount and 42" umbrella for my SB800 and I took it out this weekend for a shoot. I didn't test it in direct sunlight but I was in awe of the results in slightly shaded areas with minimal sunlight dispersed....
    Will have to give it a try in full sun :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »

I was unsure how well my flash would have done. I just purchased a Promaster 7500 EDF that is remote. Next time I will give that a try. Thanks everyone for the C&C.

Ron
    edited November 14, 2010
    I'm sure your flash will do fine. I had my SB600 about 6 feet from my friend and at about 1/8th power so it wasn't even taxing on the flash to work with sunlight. Definitely post up your future attempts :D

edited November 14, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Wow
    By coincidence I just got a hot shoe mount and 42" umbrella for my SB800 and I took it out this weekend for a shoot. I didn't test it in direct sunlight but I was in awe of the results in slightly shaded areas with minimal sunlight dispersed....
    Will have to give it a try in full sun :-)

I seriously recommend reading some strobists posts. It's amazing some of the shots people have created using the sun as a light thumb.gif