Options

# 63 completely different direction...

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited November 15, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok, so things were not panning out for me to go out and take a scenic shot today. Instead I decided that my other favorite type of photography I do is emotion set ups. Like telling a story. Does this hold anyones attention?

1090801140_9Khq3-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Yes! How sad! Very emotional shot.

Do you have one with the left part of the lamp shade?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Agree on the lampshade.

Like the Ghost on the right though...
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Hi Joyce, Although I can appreciate the sentiment behind the image, I honestly have to say it doesn't play well. I find it to be too cliche in it's presentation.

**just my two cents on your previous cc thread... I though 'Who's That Knocking' was a fabulous image. One of those images that had me go whoa!.... Beautiful clarity, I LOVE negative space and also the HiKey nature of the image. Something I wish I'd have shot, and something I would hang.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it looks staged-- like a still from a play or old movie. Was that the look you were going for?
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Joyce, I agree with the others. I did this same shot, altho not as well as this one, for one of the challenges when I was illustrating the word Grief.

I got pretty much the same feedback...too staged, too flat, too cliche.

I actually like your image because it has more sense of space than the one I did. it gives me a sense on how to evolve from where I was.

That said, I do think your earlier images are stronger than this one.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 15, 2010
    No offense taken at all! Yes it was staged. Thus why I call them "emotional setups". As for cliches I do not see anything cliche with a grieving mother. I do this type of photography alot because it prevokes emotions...positive or negetive in people. Those of you who have been around awhile might remember my past entries that were set ups like these few...
    483101868_bk6Sq-M-4.jpg476565454_47mtK-M-2.jpg
    450513463_DX7TZ-M.jpg439679528_MFw4b-M.jpg
    set ups are like Norman Rockwell type set ups. A moment in time that is not necessarily a actual event but a sentament of life that people might be able identify with. If you think that Norman Rockwell portrials of life were "cliche' then I have also accomplished my goal! I do believe that all of these images placed in the top 5 of voting rounds. I like this type of photography. Which is why 85% of my business moneys come from shooting theatrical work for local theatre companies.

So I guess that since this is a 'open study' theme and there are so many wonderful portraits, scenic, wildlife shots, I figure this might be a one of a kind style!

As for the lampshade....alas It was unavoidable. There was a large birdcage that kept getting into the picture if I widened the angle more.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I don't object to a scene being set up. I just felt as if the image presented feels more like a still from a 40's stage production, rather than an expression of emotion. Does that make sense?