Options

Glare in my pictures, please look and help :(

SleepyDaySleepyDay Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
edited November 15, 2010 in Technique
I just took some pictures using my 50mm 1.8, and due to the shade I used the built-in flash to fill in light. And for some reason all of the photos I took with flash came out with some green shades. I couldn't figure out what they are because they came in all shapes and colors. I've been shooting with this lens (with UV filter) for 3 years and never ever had this problem before.

1) On the little girl's shoulder
5177199460_74624c004c_b.jpg

2)On the man's shirt
5176609513_c9d8b36621_o.jpg

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I've never seen anything like that. Did you try some shots w/o the filter?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I've never seen anything like that. Did you try some shots w/o the filter?

I didn't think about doing that. However I notice this mostly happened in the pictures with filled light.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Very interesting...
    I want to say I have seen this before but I can't remember what caused it....

Sync issues?
    Did you accidentally have your flash set to rear curtain?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Looks like glare to me, maybe the filter not liking the flash...
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    This is run of the mill ghosting caused by pointing your lens into a light source; filters and inexpensive optics are the usual suspects. Case in point: this is what happens when you stick a cheap UV filter on a $1,400 EF 50mm f/1.2 L. You can see the bright blue background mirrored and ghosted on the guy's head in the foreground.

If you're shooting into a light source, remove your filter and use a lens hood if you've got one.

1089438861_tHFu4-L.jpg
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Pixoul wrote: »
    If you're shooting into a light source, remove your filter and use a lens hood if you've got one.

Assuming a hood would help, Directly into it, as with even that image you posted, a hood would not help.

If someone was sitting and the sun was out of frame, but still shooting towards the sun/light, a hood would help.

There is a reason MultiCoated filters are expensive, they really help cut down on the reflections.. unlike the cheap copies. Any good filter I have, I've never seen ghosting, but I'm guessing the cheapest filter I've ever bought was $130.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Ahh, I've never thought of using filters either way.....
    Interesting
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Pixoul wrote: »
    This is run of the mill ghosting caused by pointing your lens into a light source; filters and inexpensive optics are the usual suspects. Case in point: this is what happens when you stick a cheap UV filter on a $1,400 EF 50mm f/1.2 L. You can see the bright blue background mirrored and ghosted on the guy's head in the foreground.

1089438861_tHFu4-L.jpg

Filter could be the problem. However if it's the filter than shouldn't the shape and sizes of the glare be similar?

Also like I said, I have been using this lens and filter for a long time, many times shoot under harsh sun light and never had this problems (I did get glare but not these green strange shapes). In this same shoot, some other pictures taken in a hall way/shaded area without any direct lights still had the same problem.

1091241081_HRbHy-M.jpg

1091241111_VjYns-M.jpg

This one was shoot a long time ago under summer light, very harsh but as you can see the glare (or flare) is in the common shape/color and imho doesn't affect the photo
    1079104129_nUaxj-M.jpg

I will try to do some testing tomorrow with filter off. Thank you all!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Since this is about (preventing) glare and not about the peopleshots themselves I have moved this to the technique forum.

It does look like it is glare caused by filters. I know there are (at least) two main ways of thinking about using filters, but personally I never use filters unless I need it to achieve something. I'm going to guess that on your shots without the filters you will not see the glare.