Options

A Simple Photo Editing Task

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited June 30, 2004 in Finishing School
These 2 pictures have different focus points. Try to combine them so that both pastries are in focus. If you click on the pictures, you can download the supersized originals.

dessert0457_s.jpg

dessert0458_s.jpg
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    Simple if you know how ne_nau.gif,
    but I'll have a go tonight if I get home in time
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    Don't have time now, but would like to play later. I think the tricky part is getting the plate right. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Don't have time now, but would like to play later. I think the tricky part is getting the plate right. ne_nau.gif
    If you use the top plate, you might get away without having to do too much to it?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    My feeble attempt
    hey thats pretty good greap.. I'm hungry!! and I'm on a diet..
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    hey thats pretty good greap.. I'm hungry!! and I'm on a diet..
    Also my feeble attempt
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    Tossing my hat in the ring
    5627448-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    A quick one.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    A quick one.
    Fyi...I'm seeing a pretty strong red tone in your image. That aside...good work.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    Everyone did a pretty good job with a side nit about the red cast problem. But lets look at detail. Below I have crops from each of the same area and one bit of coconut seems to be the area where the results differ.

Perhaps each of you can analyse your technique here and help all of us to learn from what each did and did not do.

DavidTO DavidTO.jpg Greaper greaper.jpg

Lynnma lynnma.jpg Hutchman hutchman.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    OK

I'll go first, hope i get it right, I worked third shift 14 hours and I am a little groggy.

I opened both images in photoshp 7

I selected all on one image.

I copied it into a new layer on the other image.

I reduced the opacity of the top layer so I could see through it.

I used the move tool to attempt to line them up.

I used the eraser tool on each layer to erase the portion of pastry that looked less in focus. This allowed the layer in focus to be the one to show.

I reduced the opacity of the eraser tool and went over the areas where the seem between the two images showed.

I used the clone tool and the blur tool to smooth out some areas on the plates that didnt match up very well.

I flattened the image.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Everyone did a pretty good job with a side nit about the red cast problem. But lets look at detail. Below I have crops from each of the same area and one bit of coconut seems to be the area where the results differ.

Perhaps each of you can analyse your technique here and help all of us to learn from what each did and did not do.

DavidTO DavidTO.jpg

I opened both. I used the one with the rear thing in focus as my background, roughly selected around the other one with the lasso tool (generously selecting around it), copied and pasted into the other image.

I then option clicked on the mask icon in the layers palette, which made a transparent mask, making the top, pasted layer invisible. I then selected the appropriate brush, and started painting the layer mask with white, to make the top layer selectively visible. Along the way I scaled and distorted the top image to fit where it should be in relation to the bottom. I painted the mask selectively, and when I had made a mistake, I hit "x" to switch colors and paint back what I had screwed up. I used a little bit of cloning to clean up a bit.

Attached is the final layers pallette, with the mask as I painted it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2004
    And here's the image with the layer mask visible (reddish tint indicates the mask)

EDIT:

Now, looking at this file I can see that it's not the final that I posted. I had to restart the computer, and must not have saved my changes. You can see the difference in the curve of the plate in the lower right., where the curves diverge. I had fixed that in the final. But still, you get an idea of my technique.

I find the mask tool to be much more useful for me than the eraser, as it works asa an eraser, but allows much more flexibility than the eraser.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2004
    I basically did the same as Greaper but I did sharpen at the end.
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

Hutchman hutchman.jpg
    I used a different technique:

Opened both files.

Used the extract tool on "smart extract" and pulled the pastry in the forground into a layer.

Selected the same layer and feathered the edges 2 pixels.

Moved that layer onto the other image in a new layer and discovered it was a slightly different size.

Using the free transform tool, I enlarged the pastry until it seemed to fit.

I then flattened the image and extracted both pastries.

Now, here is where the red comes from. I inserted a red layer with approximately 20% opacity because I wanted a different color plate!

That was it, no sharpening. I usually sharpen everything, sometimes too much, but I just plain forgot this time.

Hutch