How to add logo/copyright text ??

CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm new at this and need to add my name, etc., to my photos but haven't figured out how to do it. I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro , currently.
Please help...Thanks!
Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC

Comments

• SunstruckSunstruck Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    CanonFan wrote: »
    I'm new at this and need to add my name, etc., to my photos but haven't figured out how to do it. I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro , currently.
    Please help...Thanks!

You can do it two ways. The easiest is to make a "tube" out of your name. When you want to use it, you create a new layer, choose Tube, and click where you want it. By adding it on a new layer, you can scale it, move it, etc. without changing the layer under.

The second is to create a new image, type your name, then copy/paste it into your image on it's own layer.

Making your own tube is the easier way to use it, but it takes a little more work to create. It's like creating a Brush in Photoshop.

To create a Tube, click on File, New Image, and make it a good easily seen size, say 600p x 150p, resolution is up to you. If you are going to print these out, 300dpi, if they are just for the web, 72 dpi is fine.

Click on the Text tool. Add what ever you want for text, any formatting, color, bevels, etc. When you want to save it, go File> Save as> "your name".tub or File> Export > Tube I have not used PSP in a couple of years so I am kind of rusty.

To use it, on the left side of the screen where your tools are, there is an Icon for Tubes. This pops up a box at the top of the screen with lots of little thumbnails. Scroll through until you find your name, click on that. NOw you have options at the top, how large you want it, etc. You may have to scale it down, that is by percent. Trial and error will get your correct size. I had 4 or 5 different tubes of my signature saved at different sizes to make it easier. It is always better to save at a larger size than you think you will need. You can scale down ok, but scaling up will get you a fuzzy sig.

Hope this helps!
    Penny

Penny
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    For Smugmug there are two answers.

If you have a more expensive account (not sure which level) you can apply watermarks at the gallery level after you upload. The advantage of this is that they are not permanently on the images, only on the images displayed on your Smugmug site. So if you make prints or other products from the image, the image on the product does not have a watermark on it.

If you do want the watermark to be permanently burned into the image, it's appropriate to do it in Corel before uploading.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Now for my 2 cents ....your question has been answered by the 2 above.......
    If you are selling or wish to sell your work ...DO NOT add a copyright statement
    to the face of the image.....short story....I live approx 25 or so miles from an
    Amish community and there is a really good resturant there that sells all sorts of stuff
    in their souvenir shop .....Hanging the wall was several really nice 20x30 photos and
    across the bottom in black was ©2009XXXXX XXXXXXX .......it looked so unprofessional
    not to just me...but other people looking at the prints and when I took one off the wall this
    Amish man put his hand on my forearm and advised me NOT to purchase any of the piece as
    no real artist would ever place a copyright statement on the face of his photograph.
    I asked the manager if he ahd sold any of the images and he said no...they had been hanging
    for several month, but he could send them back if they had not sold with in a year......

If in corel you can find a font that is really close to matching your handwriting then make
    it to fit an 8x10 on a separate layer and do as SunStruck suggested.....I am presuming that
    a tube is Corel speak for an action in photoshop.......

Back to copyrighting....Canon unlike Nikon does not allow you to embed all your copyright info
    in the camera into the exif.........but you should be able to with one of the many FREE EXIF
    editors on the net...that is the place to put your copyright info......also register your work
    with the US copyright office if you do it online it is much cheaper than doing it by paper form......
    Online registration you can registed nearly unlimited images at one time.....but I was told they, the
    US copyright Office. prefer it to be limited to the amount of image you can place on a single sided,
    single layer CD/DVD disk....even at that using small jpgs that is thousands for under $100 for registration.

As to watermarking........ColourBox has it nailed.....if yu are using SmugMug as your we host and have a
    Pro or I think a Power acct can also add a watermark...maybe just one of the Smugmug watermarks but
    it is a watermark......with a Pro account you can custom make use your own watermark......
    Again if you are into this to sell then the watermark needs to be your website url, so once people start
    stealing your work then it becomes advertisment for you.....mine is nearly dead center and colorful...easily
    seen and my work still gets lifted from my site..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Thanks much!!!!!!!!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • dcainsdcains Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2010
    Canon has allowed input for the camera owner's name for as far back as I can remember, and by that I mean at least as far back as a G6 I bought in '05. I still have the G6, along with a G9, 10D, 1Ds2, and 1D2n, and my name is stored in the EXIF data of every photo I've ever taken. So, I'm not sure what Art Scott means by saying Canon won't allow you to store your copyright info in EXIF data.

There are a few ways I've used for the addition of watermarks. One is "iWatermark", which is a small utility useful for doing a batch of already processed photos. I'm a Mac user, but I think there's a Windows version, too, and I think I paid ~$20 for it. http://www.plumamazing.com/mac/iwatermark Another way is to use a script in Photoshop, and you can even go so far as to add a frame and exif data to your photo at the same time. The script is a free download, called "PrintEXIF", and here's a link to it: http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/wordpress/2010/05/23/printexif-v4-0-automatic-lens-id One more option I use is a plug-in to LightRoom 3, called Mogrify (although LR3 has its own watermark function, too). Here's a link to LR2/Mogrify: http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/wordpress/2009/08/27/adding-exif-with-lightroom-and-lr2-mogrify This is a donation-ware plug-in, so name-your-own-price. These last two automatically extract data from your photo, and allow you to choose what info is/isn't printed to the image.