More Sawtooth Photos - Idaho

TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Back at the Sawtooth Mountains last Saturday to try a different vantage point. The temp was 8 degrees! There was heavy fog that covered the entire range before sunrise yet it started to lift 15 minutes after sunrise and finally cleared up after about 45 minutes.

Foggy Morning Sunrise on the Sawtooth Mountains
1091800523_mCWgt-L.jpg

Early Winter across the Sawtooth Range
1091803930_6zAHB-L.jpg

Morning Light on Baron Ridge
1091802418_H2E9t-L.jpg

1091801192_2tq43-L.jpg

After photographing the Sawtooth front, my wife and I hiked 2 miles in 4" of snow to Hell Roaring Lake, but on the way up, the weather became overcast and the fog started to roll in. Thanks for looking!
1091805125_AgZWC-L.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    More excellent photos!! I have really enjoyed these!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    all good, but i really like the 3rd one.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Man, you are rockin that place! Keep them comin'! I feel as if im there in every one!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I love 2. I would crop half the sage section off the bottom for balance.
    I love 3. I would take a slight crop off the top for balance.
    2 and 3 are excellent as is, of course.
    And I love the last one as is.

To my eye 2 and 3 are first class Sawtooth photos. I see a lot of excellent photos from there and the three I mentioned fit right in with the best of them.
    Excellent job...well worth some cold toes....seriously your wife went with you...hang onto that one :)!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Man, the weather looks awesome up there. It's not a real photo adventure until you're miles from your car, hungry and freezing lol3.gif

The sunrise shot is so unique, really showcasing the volatility of mountain weather.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    More excellent photos!! I have really enjoyed these!

Ron
    Thanks Ron!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    all good, but i really like the 3rd one.
    I like it the best as well....thanks.
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Man, you are rockin that place! Keep them comin'! I feel as if im there in every one!
    Thank you for that....it is so awesome just being there watching the weather change.
    zoomer wrote: »
    I love 2. I would crop half the sage section off the bottom for balance.
    I love 3. I would take a slight crop off the top for balance.
    2 and 3 are excellent as is, of course.
    And I love the last one as is.

To my eye 2 and 3 are first class Sawtooth photos. I see a lot of excellent photos from there and the three I mentioned fit right in with the best of them.
    Excellent job...well worth some cold toes....seriously your wife went with you...hang onto that one :)!
    Thanks Zoomer! Yeah....she's a trooper and didn't complain while trudging through snow. After that hike I had to buy here better hiking shoes :)
    schmoo wrote: »
    Man, the weather looks awesome up there. It's not a real photo adventure until you're miles from your car, hungry and freezing lol3.gif

The sunrise shot is so unique, really showcasing the volatility of mountain weather.
    Thanks Schmoo, at first you don't think you'll get a good picture, then all of a sudden the clouds move, the fog lifts and you're left facing an incredible scene.

Thanks everyone. Time to buy some snowshoes :D
  • CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Mountain images just move me like no other! Thanks for sharing!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Really like the whole set especially 2 and 4th
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Awesome photos! This is a place I need to see for myself.
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Awesome photos. I'd love to see that area someday.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    More great images from this place I will have to visit. clap.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    dseidman wrote: »
    Awesome photos! This is a place I need to see for myself.

Agreed. Such a splendid variety of foregrounds, sage brush, forest, rivers, and of course the mountains are gorgeous.

How accessible are these areas in the dead of winter? Are the roads/passes open and if so are snow shoes required? I'd love to hit this spot on a trip to Yellowstone (from Seattle) during the winter.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Agreed. Such a splendid variety of foregrounds, sage brush, forest, rivers, and of course the mountains are gorgeous.

How accessible are these areas in the dead of winter? Are the roads/passes open and if so are snow shoes required? I'd love to hit this spot on a trip to Yellowstone (from Seattle) during the winter.

The only way to Stanley in the winter may be through Sun Valley, so you would have to come through Boise and exit at Twin Falls to Sun Valley then Stanley, then back to Sun Valley to West Yellowstone. Depending on the weather, you may have to wait until the highway from Sun Valley to Stanley is plowed. Check with Idaho 411 for road info.

To really see the Sawtooths up close, you'd need to hike 3-5 miles with snowshoes. There are some skiier/hiker yurts/huts available at the base of the mountains that sounds tempting to me, but these fill up fast and it's required to have a guide for 1st timers. The photos I took are about 1 mile off the highway above Little Redfish Lake.

Later in December I'm going to try the "Fishhook Creek Meadow" Hike, to get closer to Mt. Heyburn with the creek in the foreground. It's about a 4.5 mile round trip, but the 2 mile road to the trailhead may not be plowed, so I may need to hike another couple miles, or cross-country ski. If that's the case then one could cross-country ski the entire route....hmmm....now I may have to get some cross country skis. :D

If you want some more info or links, PM me. Maybe we can meet in stanley and partner up on a hike or two.