Questions of People Shooters

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in People
So I've been wondering a few things.
  1. Do you guys shoot with your cams on tripods mostly when shooting portraits?
  2. Do you use manual focus or auto focus?
  3. If auto, single focus point or multiple focus point?

One of the things I feel like struggle with is getting the shot in focus quickly. It feels like I take too long. I typically shoot in AF using the single focus point. I don't often have my cam on the tripod so I have to refocus often. Also, when I am switching camera angles, I move my focus point around in the frame to get it over the eye, this seems to take me a while. It could just feel like it takes me a long time when in reality it doesn't. :dunno
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I rarely use tripods unless I have a stationary subject in low light since I don't have any VR lenses...I just find them to be more of a crutch than anything else when it comes to mobility and changing angles...

I almost always use auto focus and sometimes in continuous servo mode.

And almost always single point

It usually doesn't take much time to lock focus when changing tings up, it may seem like that but I rarely miss the moment I was aiming for....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Tripod when feasible.
    Autofocus
    Single point (change it often).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    - Single point - with the 7d I have plenty of choices, and move it around a lot.
    - Avoid tripod whenever possible (I really like to move around when I shoot)
    - AF. For all its problems, it's more accurate than I am!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    1. Until about 18 months ago I shot all my studio stuff handheld. These days my camera spends most of the shooting time on a Titan Side Kick shooting stand I purchased from the good guys of Tallyn.
      In addition to a repeatable framing/zoom I also have less cases of "oh, sh%t, where did I put my camera?". mwink.gifrofl
    2. Depending on the circumstances.
      Light stand - initial AF then switch to MF and control model's position distance wise. At f/5.6 and 10..15 ft shooting distance the DOF is about 2-3ft deep, so it's easy to keep that in check. Repeat focusing after every pose change.
      Handheld - always AF.
    3. Single point, the closest one to the target (an eye in 99% of cases).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    handheld, occasionally tripod in studio
    mostly AF, MF sometimes
    single point only (love the joystickymuhthingy)
    edited November 15, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    1. Until about 18 months ago I shot all my studio stuff handheld. These days my camera spends most of the shooting time on a Titan Side Kick shooting stand I purchased from the good guys of Tallyn.
      In addition to a repeatable framing/zoom I also have less cases of "oh, sh%t, where did I put my camera?". mwink.gifrofl

That is quite the cool stand!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    always handheld..af single focus point. It may take me 3-5 sec to switch camera orientation and redo the focal point.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Yeah... I've tried the tripod but find it cumbersome in the small spaces I am shooting in. I can't MF worth a damn unless it's really bright. I've been doing a lot of reading lately on portrait lighting, posing, etc. but there isn't much in the way of this stuff. Maybe its a given but I thought I would ask anyway.

Another question... do you guys fire quite a lot of shots?

I tend to take a lot of shots and then purge in post. I look at it from a perspective that I am not really wasting anything other than my time. Also, I hate it when I see that I got the perfect pose, expression, etc. but it's just a tad out of focus. Since I've started being liberal on the frames I take, I've had less issue like this.

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    It may take me 3-5 sec to switch camera orientation and redo the focal point.

Sounds about right.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    The more you play with focus points the quicker you get.
    If you are close to the subject, less than 10 feet with a large aperture you do need to play with focus points focus and recompose does not work in this instance.
    If the subject is further than ten feet and especially if you are using an aperture larger than 2.8 then you can focus on the eye and then recompose the photo, which will be quicker until you get really fast with moving the focus points around.

If the subjects are more than 15' or so then you can switch to continuous and focus is not so critical so you don't have to focus on the eye so that will speed you up.

Yes I always take a couple safety shots of set ups that I really like. The camera screen cannot be trusted for evaluating the sharpness unless you zoom way in, faster to take safety shots.

Lots of shots is kind of a strategy with me, I mix them up so they never know when I am actually going to take the photo....especially with people who are nervous....or that get that waiting for the camera to go off look on their faces right before every shot.
    edited November 15, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    That is quite the cool stand!

I like it :D.
    It's a bit flimsy, but the next best thing would be anywhere from $900 to $1500 plus tax plus rather expensive shipping, and I can't justify an upgrade for now.
    Tripod in a studio is absolutely useless imho, at least in a crowded common-room-turned-studio type like mine. Its legs are thin and hardly visible, so it's quite easy to knock off, plus it takes eons to adjust the height. :-(
    This stand has moderate footprint, legs-base are flat, the pole itself is shiny and clearly visible, and I can change vantage point from a few inches above the floor (try to get that low with a tripod to begin with) to ANY height up to its top (8ft) within a couple of seconds.
    Adjusting any tripod height significantly takes minutes, since you have you adjust all three legs, level them, etc...
    edited November 15, 2010
    Another question... do you guys fire quite a lot of shots?
    I used to when I started (few years ago). rolleyes1.gif 400-500 frames per shoot was a fairly common deal. As I learned, I realized that if I spend a bit more time to get as much as I can in camera, I get much better images to begin with and I would need a whole lot less of them, so I have to spend much less time in post while maintaining the same (actually, better:-) finals quality and quantity.
    These days I barely shoot a hundred frames per shoot. Two hundred or more is a relatively rare case. Before I could take 20-50 shots per look. These days it's typically less than 10, sometimes just 2-3.

I think it's a normal process. We humans learn like this. It's a basic principle of any neural network: do a lot of seemingly identical actions and analyze the results. It does take time, but in the end you can do it nearly automatically and right off the bat.
    Case in point: when Joel and I went for our Joshua Tree adventure with Cheryl, the first shoot was in the hotel on Friday night. I brought a couple of ABs. New - unfamiliar - room. Rarely used modifiers (I brought umbrellas for compactness instead of my typical softboxes). I kinda questimated the distances, the environment, dialed in power settings and fired a test flash to meter it. One light was spot on and another was about 0.2 stop off (Cheryl is my witness;-). :ivar
    All I'm saying - we learn, and we get better! deal.gif
    edited November 15, 2010
    I used to when I started (few years ago). rolleyes1.gif 400-500 frames per shoot was a fairly common deal. As I learned, I realized that if I spend a bit more time to get as much as I can in camera, I get much better images to begin with and I would need a whole lot less of them, so I have to spend much less time in post while maintaining the same (actually, better:-) finals quality and quantity.
    These days I barely shoot a hundred frames per shoot. Two hundred or more is a relatively rare case. Before I could take 20-50 shots per look. These days it's typically less than 10, sometimes just 2-3.

I think it's a normal process. We humans learn like this. It's a basic principle of any neural network: do a lot of seemingly identical actions and analyze the results. It does take time, but in the end you can do it nearly automatically and right off the bat.
    Case in point: when Joel and I went for our Joshua Tree adventure with Cheryl, the first shoot was in the hotel on Friday night. I brought a couple of ABs. New - unfamiliar - room. Rarely used modifiers (I brought umbrellas for compactness instead of my typical softboxes). I kinda questimated the distances, the environment, dialed in power settings and fired a test flash to meter it. One light was spot on and another was about 0.2 stop off (Cheryl is my witness;-). :ivar

Nik, I totally understand what you are saying. Even me in my noobness, I've noticed I need much fewer shots to get it right. Especially when it comes to dialing in my lights... I'm really beginning to get a hang of it. However, where I struggle is the posing... I have the subject make an adjustment, then I shoot a couple shots, chimp, then another minor adjustment, and so on. I guess this too will come with time and also with working with more experienced models.

My Smug Site
    edited November 15, 2010
    Nik, I totally understand what you are saying. Even me in my noobness, I've noticed I need much fewer shots to get it right. Especially when it comes to dialing in my lights... I'm really beginning to get a hang of it. However, where I struggle is the posing... I have the subject make an adjustment, then I shoot a couple shots, chimp, then another minor adjustment, and so on. I guess this too will come with time and also with working with more experienced models.

Be wary about "experienced" models. While some of them can indeed do a great job (and typically charge a lot), many so called 'pros' just happened to catch a good luck streak for their natural looks and can't pose for sh#t, even though they *think* they can. In the latter case you'd have to break them first, and sometimes it's just unfeasible. ne_nau.gif
    I say: use that posing book of yours (or, better yet, your own head) and get novice modes. They won't be inclined to charge you, are usually very receptive for suggestions (since they are trying to learn the trade) and you can experiment together for the mutual benefit.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I can change vantage point from a few inches above the floor (try to get that low with a tripod to begin with)

I'm not a "people" shooter in general, but just to defend us tripod fans... I can invert the center column on my tripod and set the camera millimeters above the floor....
    to ANY height up to its top (8ft) within a couple of seconds.

...but as you say it does take some time. I can set the whole kit up very quickly, but to do anything "unusual" like floor shots does take a few minutes. And of course full extension on most tripods is nowhere near 8' high.
    Adjusting any tripod height significantly takes minutes, since you have you adjust all three legs, level them, etc...

With a ball head and a level on the quick release plate or otherwise mounted to the camera (or better yet a levelling base), the legs only have to be somewhat near level, and with a bit of practice it is not difficult or time consuming to adjust a tripod, certainly under a minute unless doing anything "unusual" as mentioned above.

All that said, and despite using my tripod as much as possible, I don't know how useful they'd be in studio doing people shots. Unless you simply want to ensure the composition is exactly the same shot-to-shot, and you can freely move about to adjust the model's clothes (well, maybe not in your case, Nik), hair, lighting, etc. The primary benefit of the tripod is stability for either far off subjects like wildlife or birds, or for long exposures. Shooting people in studio you won't typically be doing long exposures or the subject motion will blur the photo, and you're usually not shooting from 1/4 mile away with a long lens. Of course you can't quickly and easily change the shooting perspective, either, although a good quick release system like the Arca-Swiss makes it very easy to remove the camera from the tripod.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I'd just find a tripod so limiting when I shoot portraits. I tend to move around, reframe, interact with the subject, reframe, try a new angle, reframe, adjust in response to a small move they make of their head or arm, reframe.... etc etc. I guess for a very still formal portrait (eg Royal Portrait style) I'd feel comfortable using it - or if I just shot quite wide and stopped down so that depth of field and keeping the subject framed wasn't a big deal - but that's just not really how I shoot at the moment, I guess.
    edited November 16, 2010
    ...I can invert the center column on my tripod and set the camera millimeters above the floor....
    I used that technique when shooting outdoors more than once. However, that allso puts the camera to an inverted position, that makes it even more difficult to operate.
    At any rate, in studio environment a tripod doesn't stand a chance against a shooting stand speed-, convenience-, features- and safety-wise.

On a slightly different subject: my next studio purchase probably would be a decent pano head. Ballheads are fine outdoors, since one knob/lever allows you to operate in all 3 dimensions simultaneously. In studio, however, this is exactly what you *don't* need, since you most often want to lock two axis and operate only on one. deal.gif
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I used that technique when shooting outdoors more than once. However, that allso puts the camera to an inverted position, that makes it even more difficult to operate.

Not if you do it right. I'll have to set it up and take a photo, but it's a simple thing to set up the camera non-inverted and practically sitting on the floor using the L-bracket and the ballhead's drop notch. Of course, if that's what you want, you could always just, well, set it on the floor. :D
    At any rate, in studio environment a tripod doesn't stand a chance against a shooting stand speed-, convenience-, features- and safety-wise.

I'm not arguing that at all. I was just responding to your comment indicating that that particular maneuver couldn't be done with a tripod.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited November 16, 2010
    Not if you do it right. I'll have to set it up and take a photo, but it's a simple thing to set up the camera non-inverted and practically sitting on the floor using the L-bracket and the ballhead's drop notch. Of course, if that's what you want, you could always just, well, set it on the floor. :D
    In some cases sitting on the floor is, uhm, difficult...

Look at this image, for example:

407682120_Tsn7W-XL.jpg

It was taken in a midst of muddy sands of Lake Powell, inverted, 60 sec exposure, in a pre-dawn darkness (my eyes could barely see anything). Anything that touched the "surface" would (and did) get soaked wet and full of sand instantly. While I could (and did) set up the exposure parameters with the camera still in my hands, the final framing adjustments had to be done "in situ" - not the easiest shooting conditions... mwink.gif
    I'm not arguing that at all. I was just responding to your comment indicating that that particular maneuver couldn't be done with a tripod.
    I agree. It can be done. Just cumbersome.
    edited November 16, 2010
    OK... let's get this back on topic.

I have another question... and this is more of a confirmation than anything else. Do you pose the person, then adjust your lighting (in a studio) or do you pose around the lighting?

I know this probably sounds real stupid but I realized that when I first started shooting with my studio lights, I would pose the person without much thought of adjusting the lights. I guess I was so overwhelmed with trying to get the right pose that I had no brain power left to even think about the lights. More recently, I set my lights up in a general way, pose and then fine tune the position of the lights. Sounds like something that should be basic, and maybe it is for most, but this didn't come to me at first.

My Smug Site
    edited November 16, 2010

I'm with Nik here...case in point..
    When I first got my D80 years ago, I easily shot off 10K shots within the first few months...currently I've had my D700 since it was officially released here in the states but I've only fired off about 25K actuations.

I pick and chose my shots and rarely will fire off more than a couple hundred frames per shoot.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I always use a tripod. It increases shaprness in my case. I use a Gitzo GT1541, very light weight but fairly sturdy. As for taking alot of shot how about getting it right the first time. Meaning adjust that lighting and the pose the first time. If you have to make a correction then it is minor one. If you were the subject would you want to sit thru 300 shots. For some of my small sessions I use a 512 MB or 1gig card to keep me from over shooting.
    edited November 16, 2010
    OK... let's get this back on topic.

I have another question... and this is more of a confirmation than anything else. Do you pose the person, then adjust your lighting (in a studio) or do you pose around the lighting?

I know this probably sounds real stupid but I realized that when I first started shooting with my studio lights, I would pose the person without much thought of adjusting the lights. I guess I was so overwhelmed with trying to get the right pose that I had no brain power left to even think about the lights. More recently, I set my lights up in a general way, pose and then fine tune the position of the lights. Sounds like something that should be basic, and maybe it is for most, but this didn't come to me at first.

Uhm, theoretically your Concept should define both the pose and the lighting, otherwise you lose Cohesiveness.
    In practice, however, lighting setup typically takes more time to prime than it takes a model to change a pose. Hence my MO is:
    1) prime the lighting;
    2) do all the poses/looks I wanted with *that* lighting - maybe adjusting it as the pose change;
    3) go to the next planned lighting setup;
    4) repeat steps ##1..3 as necessary.
    edited November 16, 2010
    Uhm, theoretically your Concept should define both the pose and the lighting, otherwise you lose Cohesiveness.
    In practice, however, lighting setup typically takes more time to prime than it takes a model to change a pose. Hence my MO is:
    1) prime the lighting;
    2) do all the poses/looks I wanted with *that* lighting - maybe adjusting it as the pose change;
    3) go to the next planned lighting setup;
    4) repeat steps ##1..3 as necessary.

Make sense Nik and your steps are kind of what I meant and what I have been practicing more lately. I have a concept that I want to shoot so I already know the light setup that I need/want and the general pose. I setup my lights... "Priming them" as you put it. I then get the pose but from there, I tweak the lighting so its right... you know, no shadows where I don't want and some where I do. This last part is what I lost site of before. I was concentrating so much on the posing that I would really "see" how the everything was coming together.

My Smug Site
    edited November 16, 2010
    I'll have to be more aware of this on my next shoot as I had not given it much thought before but it does make sense to me.
    Yo soy Reynaldo