Camera Body to Purchase

OWUnitedOWUnited Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited November 17, 2010 in Cameras
Hey all,

I am researching purchasing my next camera body.

Currently I have EOS 40D Canon. I am looking o the 7D. I shoot all manner of photos from action shots, to nature, portraits. I do the whole gambit. I would like to stick to canon because all of my lenses I have already. I have read the reviews for the 7D, but I am also curious about the perks of the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, and Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

What does everyone think? I have my own business. I need reliable quality(I know all the bodies I have listed are pretty good) camera body that fits my current lenses. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
-Owunited
www.owuphotos.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    OWUnited wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am researching purchasing my next camera body.

Currently I have EOS 40D Canon. I am looking o the 7D. I shoot all manner of photos from action shots, to nature, portraits. I do the whole gambit. I would like to stick to canon because all of my lenses I have already. I have read the reviews for the 7D, but I am also curious about the perks of the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, and Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Of course, it works very, very well for slower moving things - portraits, landscape, etc it's simply a wonderful tool.

What does everyone think? I have my own business. I need reliable quality(I know all the bodies I have listed are pretty good) camera body that fits my current lenses. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    -Owunited
    www.owuphotos.com

I upgraded a bit ago from a 50D to the 5DII - couldn't be happier. Action shots: shot weddings/receptions with the camera (a 50D as a backup) and didn't miss a thing. There's some noise about the AF not being as sweet as that found on some other cameras. This could be true - don't know as I haven't held any of the others you list - but, like I said, I didn't miss a shot.

As for the part above high-lighted in yellow - would be really, really helpful to know what lenses you have. There are some Canon lenses (EF-S, doncha know) that will not mount on a FF camera. There are third party lenses that generate an image circle just big enough to cover the corop sensor and will, thus, not be suitable for most photography on a FF camera body.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    The 7d is probably Canon's best "all round" camera. If you do nature shots, you'll appreciate the extra reach of the 1.6x crop format (vs full frame). The AF is fast and accurate. I take a lot of portraits with it, and couldn't be happier. The high ISO performance of the 5dII is extraordinary, but the 7d's is extremely good; I regularly go up to 1600-2000 which, in a properly exposed shot, produces a clean and entirely useable picture.

Overall, it's a great camera - I've been very happy with mine!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    wowzers. From a moving car?!
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Richy's photo is amazing given the circumstances. All credit to the 7D and especially the lens, plus due credit to the shooter.

Coming back to the topic, I also have a 40D and will be keeping it for another 6 months at least. I think this is a "sweet spot camera" and a classic of its kind.

When I think about upgrading, I think about 5DII for the image quality and the 1D MkIV for the sublime weather proofing. I quickly withdraw from 1D because of the price and the bulk/weight, but it is the best.. If I was a pro the 1D would have my vote because of the reliability and useability in all the funny weather we have here in Holland - I would quickly get used to the weight and size, probably. The price is quickly amortized over a 2-3 ownership period and tax deductions for business use.

The main reason I will drop the 40D eventually is the growing need for video. Other than video, until someone comes with a 16:9 native ratio or a much better in-camera HDR or focus stacking I do not see that 40D limits me from expressing myself. I wonder why you want to obsolete your 40D?

There are a lot of enthusiastic fans of 7D but I am not aspiring to this camera even though it seems great. I do not need fast focus, do not go "birding", etc. The main merit is that I could continue to use my 2.8 17-55 EFS lens. It will be a sad day when that gets traded.

I think my choice is between the 5D Mk II which is about as cheap as it will get, or the MkIII which is due and will likely be more expensive. Probably I have to wait another couple of generations for better in-camera dynamic range and focus-stacking.