Options

A Compilation of Video Tutorials about Photoshop by Jason Herrmann

Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited May 16, 2011 in Finishing School
<ul>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Set-up and Color Management – Part 1" href="../?p=600" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Set-up and Color Management – Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Set-up and Color Management - Part 2" href="http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/2011/01/12/photoshop-cs5-set-up-and-color-management-part-2/&quot; target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Set-up and Color Management - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Set-up and Color Management - Part 3" href="../?p=609" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Set-up and Color Management - Part 3</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Resizing and Saving – Part 1" href="../?p=612" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Resizing and Saving – Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Resizing and Saving - Part 2" href="../?p=614" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Resizing and Saving - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Correcting Perspective Distortion with the Transform and Warp Tools" href="http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/2580/photoshop-cs5-correcting-perspective-distortion-with-the-transform-and-warp-tools/">Photoshop CS5: Correcting Perspective Distortion with the Transform and Warp Tools</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Enhancing Eyes" href="../?p=618" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Enhancing Eyes</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Teeth Whitening" href="../?p=576" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Teeth Whitening</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Skin Smoothing - The Fast Method" href="../?p=598" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Skin Smoothing - The Fast Method</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Using Curves – Color Correction – Part 1" href="../?p=592" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Using Curves - Color Correction – Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Using Curves - Color Correction - Part 2" href="../2011/01/12/photoshop-cs5-using-curves-color-correction-part-2/" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Using Curves - Color Correction - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Panoramics and Photomerge" href="../?p=582" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Panoramics and Photomerge</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: HDR Photography and Panoramics" href="../?p=588" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: HDR Photography and Panoramics</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: Creating Custom Watermarks" href="../?p=580" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: Creating Custom Watermarks</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 1" href="../?p=8" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 2" href="../2011/01/08/photoshop-cs5-hdr-pro-part-1-2/" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 3" href="../?p=608" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 3</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 4" href="../?p=24" target="_self">Photoshop CS5: HDR Pro - Part 4</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Enhancing Your HDR’s using Adobe Camera Raw – Part 1" href="../?p=28" target="_self">Enhancing Your HDR’s using Adobe Camera Raw – Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Enhancing Your HDR’s using Adobe Camera Raw – Part 2" href="../?p=30" target="_self">Enhancing Your HDR’s using Adobe Camera Raw – Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="RGB Working Spaces - What are the differences??" href="../?p=604" target="_self">RGB Working Spaces - What are the differences??</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Fixing a White Background" href="../?p=559" target="_self">Photoshop: Fixing a White Background</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Masking 101" href="../?p=548" target="_self">Photoshop: Masking 101</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Understanding Layers - Part 1" href="../?p=542" target="_self">Photoshop: Understanding Layers - Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Understanding Layers - Part 2" href="../?p=544" target="_self">Photoshop: Understanding Layers - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Understanding Layers - Part 3" href="../?p=546" target="_self">Photoshop: Understanding Layers - Part 3</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Enhancing Eyes" href="../?p=566" target="_self">Photoshop: Enhancing Eyes</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Soft Focus Effect" href="../?p=568" target="_self">Photoshop: Soft Focus Effect</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Basic Portrait editing - Part 1" href="../?p=552" target="_self">Photoshop: Basic Portrait editing - Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Basic Portrait editing - Part 2" href="../?p=554" target="_self">Photoshop: Basic Portrait editing - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: Basic Portrait Editing - Part 3" href="../?p=556" target="_self">Photoshop: Basic Portrait Editing - Part 3</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: How I created "The Path" - Part 1" href="../?p=536" target="_self">Photoshop: How I created "The Path" - Part 1</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: How I created "The Path" - Part 1" href="../?p=538" target="_self">Photoshop: How I created "The Path" - Part 2</a></h4>
</li>
<li>
<h4><a title="Photoshop: How I created "The Path" - Part 1" href="../?p=540" target="_self">Photoshop: How I created "The Path" - Part 3</a></h4>
</li>

Comments

• Options
    edited November 29, 2010
    Photoshop CS5: Setup and Color Management
    - In this video tutorial we will cover setting up camera raw and photoshop so our color spaces and profiles match. This set-up process is incredible important for proper color management, so please check it out!! This is geared towards beginners, but if you have color management issues, you may want to check this out as well.

Part 1

Best,
    Jay
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Thanks. This came in very handy.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2010
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Comments and suggestions always appreciated :)

Couple points on your video which I think will help you and others.
    16-bit files do NOT have more colors (wider gamut) than 14-bit or 8-bit files. The bit depth doesn’t not define the amount of colors, it describes the number of tones. FWIW, Photoshop actually treats all high bit files (10-12-14bit as 15-bits of data.) Our 5DMII is not a true 16-bit capture device.

You show RGB in Bridge, fine, but that raw file has no actual color space and the color space you set on your camera is only used to create the JPEG IF you ask for a JPEG. IOW, the camera and that raw file do not have to and actually do not match as you say in your video and you don’t have to attempt to set the ACR workflow options “to match“. Saying that you should set ACR for Adobe RGB because that’s what you set your camera at is not necessary and in I’d argue not useful since the two are not at all related. Even if you shoot raw+JPEG, the two are totally different (one is built in-camera, the other by ACR). You also throw away a great deal of potential color gamut by using Adobe RGB (1998) when a raw file can easily exceed this gamut. Find a very saturated image in Bridge, open in ACR using default settings in Adobe RGB (1998) and examine the Histogram for saturation clipping (colors not black or white on either side or edge of the Histogram*). Toggle the workflow options from Adobe RGB (1998) to ProPhoto RGB, they are gone. That illustrates that the raw file had the rendering potential to exceed Adobe RGB (1998) but the colors did not clip in ProPhoto. Other illustrations are explained here: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf

*Clipping Indicators in the ACR Histogram:
    Black and white = tone clipping (all three channels)
    Colors = saturation clipping based on current encoding color space selected:

Red=Red
    Green=Green
    Blue=Blue
    Yellow=Red+Green
    Magenta=Red+Blue
    Cyan=Green+Blue
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2010
    Thank you for the info! I will certainly redo and or add that info to the tutorials asap. Prolly have to redo them.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010
    Photoshop CS5: Resizing and Saving
    Ever wonder what the proper way is to save files for the web or for print? Color profiles have you wondering what the heck do I choose? Curious about image interpolation?

This tutorial should help clear up a lot of questions you might have, and more importantly let you know what you NEED to know for resizing images properly in Photoshop CS5.

Part 1

Best,
    Jay
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    there is an easier and better way
    its called ; BD Sizer

you can ;
    [batch] resize , to pixel-size and or size in bites
    sharpen (recommended for downsizing)
    crop
    add frames
    add watermark
    keep EXIF

edit;
    just found out
    it can transfer to Smugmug and Flickr too

and best of all , its freeware
    latest version ; http://www.idimager.com/downloads/freeware

BD_Sizer.jpg
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Very basic stuff here. Seems to be aimed at users who are opening up PS for the second or third time ever. Your directions are clear and it's easy to follow along with the process but when I was learning the ABC's I wanted to understand the reasoning behind the steps in order to make better informed decisions when I ran across semi related issues later on. I wanted to know what the term 'color profile' meant and how adobe and prophoto and sRGB differed from each other. I wasn't satisfied to click on sRGB because a tutorial said to. Same thing with interpolation methods. And resolution. And image size/resolution relationships. I think that if you tell a beginner to click the 'bicubic sharper' box it's a perfect time to explain what the bicubic sharper algorithm does and how the other interpolation alternatives work as well. Unfortunately, there's none of this in your tutorial. I never learned much of anything that stuck from the tutorials that simply asked me to 'click in this box, then go to this page and type 30 into this box, then click in this box, then click in this box, then unclick this box.........'.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2010
    Thanks for your comments and teaching suggestions;)

My goal with this beginner tutorial was to keep it short and to the point. How the algorithm actually works is not really that important to the user, just which 1 to use when is what they need to know. I agree it's nice to know all that extra stuff, but I'm trying to stay away from the over technical jargon. Most my viewers seem to prefer that based on the views, feedback, ect....

Best,
    Jay
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Photoshop CS5: Panoramics and Photomerge
    Clutter
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    Photoshop CS5: Enhancing Backgrounds
    clutter
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2010
    HDR - Import to Print Using Photomatix Pro, Photoshop, and the Nik Filters
    In this 9 part tutorial we will discuss my workflow from import to print! 1st we go through Adobe Lightroom 3.0
    and import some raw files. Then we optimize the raw files for Photomatix Pro and proceed to Tonemap. After that we head to Photoshop
    and utilize the Nik Filters such as: ColorEfex Pro , Pre-Sharpener Pro , Dfine , and Viveza 2 . Killer plugins to say the least and we will use all of them! After that we fine tune the image and get it prepared for print. The Printing portion of this tutorial is still in production ;)

Best,
    Jay
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    Photoshop CS5: Teeth Whitening

As always, any questions fire away emoticon - smile

Best,
    Jay
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    Photoshop CS5: Correcting Perspective Distortion with the Transform and Warp Tools

I figured you guys might like this tutorial specifically for all those cool church shots and Architecture ect..

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/hv4TgqrwegA&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="700" height="438" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Best,
    Jay
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Subscribed! :D

As a recent upgrade to CS5 from PSE8, I have a basic understanding of what things are, but I'm learning all kinds of new stuff. Something very basic, but otherwise not addressed is what bins and toolboxes to have open based on the frequency of use for ease of workflow. I realize this is a very personal choice for most editors, but there must be some "you should always have's" and some "perhaps this or that".

Another thing I'd like to learn is how to make a frame, or even a specialized frame for a print size of 16 x 24, or 24 x 36, with smaller, square frames (maybe 4 x 4) placed inside of it.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    Subscribed! :D

As a recent upgrade to CS5 from PSE8, I have a basic understanding of what things are, but I'm learning all kinds of new stuff. Something very basic, but otherwise not addressed is what bins and toolboxes to have open based on the frequency of use for ease of workflow. I realize this is a very personal choice for most editors, but there must be some "you should always have's" and some "perhaps this or that".

Another thing I'd like to learn is how to make a frame, or even a specialized frame for a print size of 16 x 24, or 24 x 36, with smaller, square frames (maybe 4 x 4) placed inside of it.

Thanks for the comments and I'll see what I can do about those requests. Be sure to do some google searches for what your looking for. Youtube also has a ton of free photoshop tutorials ;)

Best,
    Jay