Book Recommendation

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in People
I am reading a book called POSING TECHNIQUES FOR GLAMOUR PHOTOGRAPHY. Author is Rolando Gomez.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through and I have to say it's probably the best thing I've read on the subject. It doesn't just show you a bunch of poses. It discusses how to pose the different areas of the body to yield the most flattering photo. Not specific poses but more general guidelines. Also details how to deal with certain issues like heavy models, short or talk models, ears, noises, tummies, etc. Highly recommend this book.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    "glamour" as in "semi-nude, slightly naughty" or as in "glamourous"? And if the former, is it generally applicable info?

~scuttles off to amazon + google to have a look~
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    "glamour" as in "semi-nude, slightly naughty" or as in "glamourous"? And if the former, is it generally applicable info?

~scuttles off to amazon + google to have a look~

All of the above. And yes, very applicable. Like I said, it doesn't focus so much on specific poses but gives you an understanding of how to pose certain subjects, to use shadows, highlights and such to hide certain things and accentuate others.

I am just at the part where it starts to discuss when to use standing, sitting and lying poses. The first part, which I've read, breaks the body up into legs, torso and head and thoroughly details how to pose each area.

My Smug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    ...The first part, which I've read, breaks the body up into legs, torso and head and thoroughly details how to pose each area...

Alex, get a load of this: there are also hands! eek7.gif
    And IIRC all those parts were around for, uhm, 5-6 million years mwink.gifrofl
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Alex, get a load of this: there are also hands! eek7.gif
    And IIRC all those parts were around for, uhm, 5-6 million years mwink.gifrofl

Right Nik and he talks about them as well and certain guidelines around posing them. Basically, he discusses his technique of starting with the lower part first, the legs, which includes the thighs, knees, calves and feet. He even mentions your "point the toes" rule Nik. The torso consists of the waist, belly, breast/chest, shoulders, arms and hands. Head/neck is last and he goes into detail about neck, chin, hair, ears, mouth and eyes. So pretty detailed.

Again, not so much as specific poses but more general guidelines. For me, it's been pretty helpful because it gives some things to think about when posing. Instead of looking at a photo of a pose and trying to mimic it, I now have some concept that I can apply, in a consistent and methodical way to come up with good poses on my own that work for the person I am photographing.

My Smug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Right Nik and he talks about them as well and certain guidelines around posing them. Basically, he discusses his technique of starting with the lower part first, the legs, which includes the thighs, knees, calves and feet. He even mentions your "point the toes" rule Nik. The torso consists of the waist, belly, breast/chest, shoulders, arms and hands. Head/neck is last and he goes into detail about neck, chin, hair, ears, mouth and eyes. So pretty detailed.

Again, not so much as specific poses but more general guidelines. For me, it's been pretty helpful because it gives some things to think about when posing. Instead of looking at a photo of a pose and trying to mimic it, I now have some concept that I can apply, in a consistent and methodical way to come up with good poses on my own that work for the person I am photographing.

Ah, good then :-) mwink.gif Looks like a helpful book...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    This sounds like a good book, I might have to check and see if any of the local Barnes and Nobles have it before my shoot this weekend! :-)
    Canon Fan