Pin-Up Preview (Lingerie)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 19, 2010 in People
I've been wanting to try my hand at pin-up photography for a while now, and I finally managed to swing it yesterday. This was a tough shoot! It was my first real attempt at high-key portraiture, and to try it with something so incredibly stylized might have been just a bit nuts. :huh But I'm ready to give it another try already!

I did her hair. She managed the liquid-liner cat-eye like a pro. :D

I hope you enjoy the sneak peek!

1092347589_qdPWb-XL.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Looks like somebody got an extra helping of Robert Alvarado mwink.gif
    Waiting for the finals :lurk
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Very nice preview, can't wait to see wait to see the whole set.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Great stuff, Kerry!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I think it looks good.
    Weird to me that she is suspended in air. Maybe clone in a chair or something :)?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 18, 2010
    That is way cool. How does one do the "dot" on the background, is that Photoshopped in?
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Thanks, all!

Nik, thank you for the photographer's name! I knew I had seen this style a while ago when I first began looking into pin-up and had to try it, but I could not find the artist again. Proper credit where's it's due, so thank you muchly!

Zoomer, noted. :D I do like it as it is, personally, but I have more to toy around with and will play around with "anchoring" her to see how it turns out. thumb.gif

kdog, yes, the dot is pure Photoshop. I shot her in high key to make selecting and isolating her easier, then I essentially cut her out, placed her atop a pure white background, then sandwiched a layer between her and the white background that had a pink circle on it. Quick and easy!
    edited November 18, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    Nik, thank you for the photographer's name! I knew I had seen this style a while ago when I first began looking into pin-up and had to try it, but I could not find the artist again. Proper credit where's it's due, so thank you muchly!
    No worries! :-)
    And a few more nits:
    1) her right foot peeking from under her left thigh breaks her gorgeous left thigh-to-butt line and looks fairly bad; ne_nau.gif
    2) the circle would look better if it provided a visible support as if she were sitting inside it (see zoomer's "up in the air" comment).
    3) It would also help to make that circle non-flat. I'd play with a radial gradient setting the "break" point at 75% from the center, so most of the inner circle would be flat but the outer ring would start fading.
    HTH
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I like Niks feedback. I could totally see her sitting on a 1/4 moon!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Nice go but yes, up in the air. You gotta love Robert's stuff. Now to be like Robert you gotta get a gal with some tats.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Nice go but yes, up in the air. You gotta love Robert's stuff. Now to be like Robert you gotta get a gal with some tats.

I don't ever recall seeing the original pinups of the 50's with tats. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I don't ever recall seeing the original pinups of the 50's with tats. headscratch.gif

Agreed, not from the 50's. But Robert loves to work with a few ladies who have wonderful tats and have been featured in various Tat magazines.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    As I take a second look, I also wonder what wpould happen if you canted/rotated here a little? She is sitting on a circle edge but is clearly sitting horizontally. Maybe a little twist counterclockwise would help, might hurt.. but could be interesting.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited November 18, 2010
    As I take a second look, I also wonder what wpould happen if you canted/rotated here a little? She is sitting on a circle edge but is clearly sitting horizontally. Maybe a little twist counterclockwise would help, might hurt.. but could be interesting.

Brad, you haven't read my C-theory, apparently ;-)mwink.gif
    Rotating the image would also rotate the G vector, and hair (and the pose) would be in an unnatural position, runing the Cohesiveness factor. deal.gif
    This stuff should be planned for, not adjusted in post (albeit one can try a Puppet Warp in CS5:-)
    edited November 19, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Agreed, not from the 50's. But Robert loves to work with a few ladies who have wonderful tats and have been featured in various Tat magazines.

Right. I've seen his work and think its cool. I just don't get the whole 50's look that the chicks with tats tend to favor. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of the tattoos with the wholesome look of that era but I still think it's odd.

My Smug Site
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Right. I've seen his work and think its cool. I just don't get the whole 50's look that the chicks with tats tend to favor. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of the tattoos with the wholesome look of that era but I still think it's odd.

Oh - TATTOOS!!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    Oh - TATTOOS!!

lol3.gif Not the most widespread abbreviation, is it?
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    lol3.gif Not the most widespread abbreviation, is it?

I thought it was a new abbreviation for something else, won't say what.rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 19, 2010
    HAHAHA... OK, around these parts, people referred to Tattoos as "Tats". Maybe it's spelled "Tatts"?

My Smug Site
    edited November 19, 2010
    HAHAHA... OK, around these parts, people referred to Tattoos as "Tats". Maybe it's spelled "Tatts"?
    I heard the preferred "in-the-know" way to say it is "ink" mwink.gif, but "tats" are still widely used.