Bay Photo Shipping Costs a lot higher on Smugmug

RonD200RonD200 Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
edited February 13, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi I just ordered 3 prints from Bay Photo through my Smugmug account....
1 8x10 and 2 10x15 The price for the photos was $14.79 and the shipping was a whopping $10.90!!!!!

Out of curiosity I checked the shipping costs if I would have ordered directly from Bay Photo and the shipping costs are a lot less:

$1.50 Shipping!

Now when you place an order for over $12 worth of high-quality prints, specialty items, and/or finishing services, you pay only $1.50 for UPS delivery within 2 days or less anywhere in the continental US. Available on orders placed via any of Bay Photo's online ordering systems.*
Drop Ship UPS Ground to your customers, $6.00!
We can ship directly to your customers for $6.00. No minimum order. Orders are shipped Ground UPS. No identifying markers are used, no invoices or anything that identifies us as the producer of the prints.
Gift Box Packaging Available
Presentation Gift Boxes can be added to most standard size print orders, giving a more polished presentation. Learn more...
Bay Photo Shipping Policies:
  • USPS is Free! Orders 11x14 and smaller may be shipped by USPS First Class for free - 5-10 days shipping time depending on location. No tracking available.
  • UPS shipping within 2 days or less: $1.50 per order for orders over $12.00. $6.00 per order for orders under $12.00.

Here's the link to Bay Photos shipping prices: http://www.bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_shipping.htm

How come the shipping costs so much more when ordered through Smugmug? I'm worried some customers might not order photos after seeing how much the shipping costs.

It looks like I could of only paid $1.50 for shipping if I ordered directly from Bay Photo!!!!

So what's the deal with the high shipping costs when ordering thru Smugmug?

Thanks,

Ron

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Hi Ron, we're separate businesses. Our shipping is different than what Bay offers directly to their customers. I wish I had a different, better answer for you, I really do.
  • RonD200RonD200 Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Hi Ron, we're separate businesses. Our shipping is different than what Bay offers directly to their customers. I wish I had a different, better answer for you, I really do.

That may be true, but I can't figure out why your shipping costs are 10 times higher than Bay Photos and I'm not sure why I was charged $10.90 for 1 8x10 and 2 10x15 lustre prints.

SHIPPED ITEMS

1 8 x 10 Print (Lustre) $2.49 USD

1 10 x 15 Print (Lustre) $6.15 USD

1 10 x 15 Print (Lustre) $6.15 USD

Order Subtotal: $14.79 USD
    Shipping & Handling: $10.90 USD

According to this Smugmug's estimated shipping cost link the price should have been about $5.95

<table id="Domestic" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Bay Photo</th> <th>6-10 Business Days*</th> <th>3-5 BDs</th> <th>Second BD</th> <th>Next BD</th> </tr> <tr> <th>Starting Price (USD)</th> <td>$3.45</td> <td>$5.95</td> <td>$11.95</td> <td>$19.95</td> </tr> <tr> <th>Added price for each $20 of product**</th> <td>$1.00</td> <td>$2.00</td> <td>$2.50</td> <td>$3.00</td></tr></tbody></table>

Here's the link: http://www.smugmug.com/prints/shipping.mg

BTW for comparison ordering from your other lab EZ prints would of only cost $4.95 ( I know they have different packaging) which matches your estimated pricing for EZ Prints.

<table id="Domestic" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>EZ Prints</th> <th>6-10 Business Days*</th> <th>3-5 BDs</th> <th>Second BD</th> <th>Next BD</th> </tr> <tr> <th>Starting Price (USD)</th> <td>$2.95</td> <td>$4.95</td> <td>$9.95</td> <td>$16.95</td> </tr> <tr> <th>Added price for each $20 of product**</th> <td>N/A</td> <td>$2.00</td> <td>$2.50</td> <td>$3.00</td></tr></tbody></table>

Could you explain how my shipping cost was calculated to cost $10.90 instead of the more reasonable cost of 5.95

Here's my order number: 1882990
    edited November 15, 2010
    RonD200 wrote: »
    Could you explain how my shipping cost was calculated to cost $10.90 instead of the more reasonable cost of 5.95
    Here's my order number: 1882990

Hi Ron, you ordered items from two different labs. Each has a separate shipping charge. The 8x10 is from EZP, the 10x15 Lustres are from Bay Photo. I added all three items to my cart, and all from Bay Photo, and the Shipping is $5.95 as we state on our shipping page.

Does that clear up why it was $11+ ? Holler back if you have any more questions, happy to help!
    edited November 15, 2010
    Hi Ron, you ordered items from two different labs. Each has a separate shipping charge. The 8x10 is from EZP, the 10x15 Lustres are from Bay Photo. I added all three items to my cart, and all from Bay Photo, and the Shipping is $5.95 as we state on our shipping page.

Does that clear up why it was $11+ ?

Opps, I thought I ordered them all from Bay Photo, is there anyway to change my order to get the 8x10 from Bay Photo also.

Thanks Andy for clearing that up for me!
    edited November 15, 2010
    RonD200 wrote: »
    Opps, I thought I ordered them all from Bay Photo, is there anyway to change my order to get the 8x10 from Bay Photo also.

Thanks Andy for clearing that up for me!

HI, please write our Support Heroes with the order number, if we can cancel it (if it hasn't printed / shipped) we surely can redo the order. If it's already shipped, we'll credit back 1/2 the shipping, just reference this thread when you write. No worries, Ron.
    edited November 16, 2010
    HI, please write our Support Heroes with the order number, if we can cancel it (if it hasn't printed / shipped) we surely can redo the order. If it's already shipped, we'll credit back 1/2 the shipping, just reference this thread when you write. No worries, Ron.

Thanks Andy, contacted the Support Heros and everything has been taken care of!!! Great service!!! thumb.gif
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Curious how can we order things from 2 labs on the same order?
    I want to make it so that cannot happen in my galleries for my customers; just to avoid the huge shipping charges.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
    edited November 22, 2010
    jchin wrote: »
    Curious how can we order things from 2 labs on the same order?
    I want to make it so that cannot happen in my galleries for my customers; just to avoid the huge shipping charges.

If you have galleries priced with both labs. Or if your customer orders stuff from you and another pro.
    edited November 23, 2010
    If you have galleries priced with both labs. Or if your customer orders stuff from you and another pro.

How can I tell if I have a gallery priced with both labs? headscratch.gif
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    jchin wrote: »
    How can I tell if I have a gallery priced with both labs? headscratch.gif
    by clicking on the tabs in your pricing pages...the tabs are different pages of the price lists...just make sure that the one you do not want to use id priced at 00.00 for each and every item then the client should only see the prices from the one processor that you choose........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    by clicking on the tabs in your pricing pages...the tabs are different pages of the price lists...just make sure that the one you do not want to use id priced at 00.00 for each and every item then the client should only see the prices from the one processor that you choose........

huh? I am confused headscratch.gif

So does that mean the "prints" tab comes from BayPhoto or EzPrints (depending on what I picked), "merchandise" tab comes from another, and "cards" from EzPrints?

I understand that the cards are from EzPrints, at least that is what I read somewhere, so for those galleries that I choose BayPhoto, I should disable cards.

Is the "merchandise" items from another vendor? Should that be disabled too?
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • antibioticantibiotic Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    I have to agree with MANY of Smugmug account holders, why can't Bay's order/shipping and Product Selection (there is much more offered on Bay,) can't they be integrated into your ordering? They are doing all the processing. I completely understand you need a profit marging, hence the percent and a skewed pricing tructure, really so much more for pro vs portfolio?? It seems to me many are looking for alternatives to your web hosting and sales, being disabled, it is hard for me to get to a lab, and I do not want the hassle of switching web hosting/sales, I like SmugMug,, yet they, as if you order direct from Bay, will give you discounts on bulk orders of the same print, shipping, why do you not pass this onto subscribers? The local lab I go to has many of the same merchandise and I make a much better profit margin than ordering through the site I pay for. I would really love to see how you can "pass the savings on from prints and shipping, orders to the midwest and eastern states is crazy. I would love to see you have a lab that could do printing in the east, that is quality like Bay and offer the selections… When looking and seeing the many product "extras" they have, it makes it hard to order through my own site.
    (also, why can't you have all pro accounts have the all type of labs to be printed from, from economy to fine art labs? let the consumer choose their pricing needs on products, one lab may be closer to where they live,, some may want inexpensive prints from one lab, or they can choose a few done by a better lab?)