Options

how does this shot work.

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in Weddings
I have seen this shot here and there. I know this isn't it. How is it supposed to be done?

1092724407_JMVe5-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I think shooting from a lower vantage point would help. Also, with the door frame in the shot, I'd want to see it straight. The shadow across the train is distracting. It would be nice if she were doing something with her arms, even holding a bouquet in front. They look like they are just hanging there lifelessly.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    ^Yep. Also, Get your lens parallel to the ground, that would help a lot. Shoot from about 2 feet above the ground... Get rid of clutter around the door. I usually do a scosh of fill, so you can see just a bit of what is outside. The wood floor is about the prettiest thing in the shot, so be sure to include a bit of lead into the bride.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    a little trick...if she is not holding her flowers tell her to act like she is. it gives a nice curve to the arms, better then just hanging down straight. :D
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Hey again Josh,

The tips offered here are great! A slight bend in the elbow, a slight shift of weight from one hip to the other, a lower angle, etc.

However these tips really only scratch the surface of how deep the posing "rabbit hole" goes, and so I'm going to strongly suggest taking more action than forum feedback. Build a solid foundation of posing technique, by either reading a ton of books, taking some workshops, or at least studying all the photographers whose posing skills are legendary. I'm horrible at posing myself, and struggle with it regularly. But check out the work of Jerry Ghionis, or Yervant, two of today's greatest talents in posing. Or of course one image that *always* inspires me, Annie Leibovitz' image of Nicole Kidman. It's not a "back" pose, but as I mentioned, it's good to build a solid foundation of posing and how to always be able to create a stunning image... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum