Options

iphone 4 light metre app

m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Accessories
has anybody used the iphone 4 light metre app? i think it runs on 3g as well, but i am specifically interesting in hearing experiences with the better iphone 4 camera. is this a decent app to use in the field?

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    You mean "in the field" with an iPhone 4? You mean using the camera in it? I wouldn't bother with anything serious about it, it's just for taking a quick snapshot if you see a UFO, right? I mean it can't take a good photo, can it?
  • Options
    BFauskaBFauska Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I mean it can't take a good photo, can it?

I thought that had more to do with the user than the camera mwink.gif , and it's a good deal better than most (digital) cameras available 5-10 years ago.

I think the OP was actually asking about using an app on the iPhone that acts like a light meter, not using the camera itself for shooting the pictures. On that note... I have nothing useful to offer. I have an iPhone that's 2 models old and I don't have said app.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I mean it can't take a good photo, can it?
    It's not the camera, it's how you use it deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    yes I am talking about an actual light meter app, well two, that takes metering from a scene that you point your phone at.

this one

http://itunes.apple.com/app/lightmeter/id320768222?mt=8

and this one

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pocket-light-meter/id381698089?mt=8

however the first one works only on 3G
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    I know, it's not the camera, it's the photographer, and I'm the #1 advocate of that, trust me ;~). But it's like using a $50 Canon 28-80, no matter how good your sensor, composition, lighting etc. is, you're still gonna have a very hard time getting it to look OK because of the cheap glass.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    @OP: you plan to use it with a non-electronic camera, right? Cause I can't see any reason to substitute an in-camera ambient metering with an external device...headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    @OP: you plan to use it with a non-electronic camera, right? Cause I can't see any reason to substitute an in-camera ambient metering with an external device...headscratch.gif

no, this was just for interests sake. i use my in camera light metre.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    It's always good to have those free little apps just in case ;~)
  • Options
    nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    I've downloaded the apps and will test it against my minolta incident lightmeter (when i get it back from a friend whos borrowed it) to see how accurate it is in a variety of situations. Will post my findings here.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    I've downloaded the apps and will test it against my minolta incident lightmeter (when i get it back from a friend whos borrowed it) to see how accurate it is in a variety of situations. Will post my findings here.

nice one. cheers!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,855 moderator
    edited November 24, 2010

Please also test against your camera's metering, if only for your own benefit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums