Trentham Falls, Victoria Australia

ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Landscapes
1092974049_V287q-2X.jpg

Trentham Falls, Victoria, Australia

1.3sec | f/16 | ISO 50 | 11 x 17mm verticals stitched

The weather wasn't turning it on this day (back in September), bland light, so it was never going to be a top shot. I grabbed a few shots to see how the compositions would work out.

Trying to capture the whole scene was the aim; 'get a feeling for the place'. The vignette was an attempt to focus the viewer a little and cut the busy detail.

Another one below. Any ideas on how these can be improved - even with another visit when the light is magic. Tell me what you think?

1092993180_BHn6B-2X.jpg

1.3sec | f/16 | ISO 50 | 10 x 25mm verticals stitched

Comments

• JohnRAJohnRA Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Must have passed the Trentham falls turnoff dozens of times, always promised myself that one day I would photograph them.
    Needles to say I never did & now that I have left Vic for the sunshine state I suppose I never will.
    Thanks for showing me what I missed out on. Looks like the recent drought breaking rains have worked wonders.
    John
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Chris-
    I really like these panos. It's nice to see the 'big picture' rather than a tight focus on the falls.
    There's something about the 1st that bothers me though. Can't tell if there's a bit of distortion from the 17mm used.
    You are dealing with a huge dynamic range in the scene. Might be worth shooting a few brackets next time you go and seeing how that works out for you. I'll typically shoot -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3. Haven't done an HDR pano yet as I don't quite have the computer horsepower for it...
    This is a great spot and definitely worth exploring again and again.
    E
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    I like the pano view of these, too! Gives a real sense of what it's like to be there. What a beautiful place thumb.gif
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Chris,

I really like both of them...

for the first one... i think the only thing id do is show a bit more of the ground "cliff" that the camera looks off of. I think that way it might guide your eye from left to right, down the waterfall like the water flows.

i really enjoy the 2nd one. as i pan from left to right, i see varied and well-framed subjects throughout the width of the shot.

well done
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/