AF 50mm f/1.4D Lens vs. AF-S 50mm f/1.4g Lens (G vs D)

OnionOnion Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited November 16, 2010 in Cameras
I'm finally looking to pick up a 50mm prime lens for my D90 and am trying to choose between the two Nikkor lenses. In layman's terms, what is the difference between the D & G lenses (besides the $200 difference, lol)?

Thanks!

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/nikon-nikkor-af-50mm-f-1-4d-lens/10111376.aspx?path=ed7cee384f457a70240d662a40b9404ben02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/nikon-nikkor-af-s-50mm-f-1-4g-lens/10117967.aspx?path=8ea52a45fcf4ac2f5b4e1acfc8898c83en02

Comments

• OnionOnion Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    (BTW, I figured there would already be a thread on this, but I could not find it so sorry if I missed it)
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Both are GREAT lenses. Both really don't have any *significant* issues. I say, buy whichever one you can afford. If this is going to be your main lens that you use to truly define your style, then maybe pony up for the AFS. However if you're mostly shooting other lenses or other focal lengths, and are only buying this lens for the few times you encounter low-light, then I'd rather spend more money on other lenses, and save a few bucks by going with the AFD.

That's always been my philosophy- spend more money on the lenses that stay on your camera the most, the lenses that truly define your style, ...and then fill in the gaps with whatever you can afford.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    The G may focus a bit faster then the D. The G is slightly sharper wide open then the D. That's pretty much it. Both are great lens though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    The G may focus a bit faster then the D. The G is slightly sharper wide open then the D. That's pretty much it. Both are great lens though.
    Correction: According to most tests, the AFD lens is *quicker*, but the AFS lens is far more *accurate* Same with the new 85mm 1.4, AFS versus AFD; I saw a video on NikonRumors that showed a SIGNIFICANT lag in the AFS lens compared to the AFD lens.

However, I will say, I just tested the new 85 AFS the other day, on a D3s, and WOW it is magic. Slow or not, the lens + body combination is just amazing. I easily focused on subjects moving crazily, such as skateboarders at a skatepark.

The bottom line for me is, again, style and budget. Put your money firstly into whichever lens defines your style. If you don't know what lenses define your style just yet, then maybe rent them a couple times and do some serious shooting... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum