Options

Useless Filename Keywords

2»

Comments

• Options
    max:Pmax:P Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2016
    Bulk Removal of Numberic Keywords
    Has anyone found a fast and easy solution to removing the all numberic keywords?

http://www.maximilianimaging.com/keyword

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 4.09.38 PM copy.jpg

Can someone please advise?

Many thanks
    Max
    keyword
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    Andy wrote: »
    "We also look at the filenames of your images. If your filename is "Alvin_Birthday3.jpg", for example, we'll add the keywords "Alvin" and "Birthday" automatically. If your filename is the common format of "IMG_1234.jpg" or "DSC_1234.jpg", etc., we'll ignore it. You can always enable or disable this feature in the settings tab of your Control Panel."

http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

I'll ask schmoo to make it even more clear.

Hey Andy,
    Heads up! This link is no longer working.
    Max
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited November 10, 2016
    max:P wrote: »
    Hey Andy,
    Heads up! This link is no longer working.
    Max
    Andy is no longer active on the forum.

Note that the thread you responded to is from 2010. There have been massive changes in SmugMug since that time and the help pages have been updated to match the new SmugMug.

To stop automatic creation of keywords from filenames, go to Account Settings... Discovery... Search. Set Filename Keywording to OFF.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    Bulk Numberic Keywords
    Andy is no longer active on the forum - note that the thread you responded to is from 2010. There have been massive changes in SmugMug since that time and the help pages have been updated to match the new SmugMug.

To stop automatic creation of keywords from filenames, go to Account Settings... Discovery... Search. Set Filename Keywording to OFF.

--- Denise

Hi Denise,
    Many thanks. I didn't realize this.
    So, my next question would be, how do I go about removing all of the Bulk Numberic Keywords from my site?

Many thanks for any help or advise you can give.

Max

• Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    Hi Denise,
    Many thanks. I didn't realize this.
    So, my next question would be, how do I go about removing all of the Bulk Numberic Keywords from my site?

Many thanks for any help or advise you can give.

Max

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to remove them all at once.

I looked at several of your numeric keywords; they were all assigned to multiple photos.

What I would recommend is setting up an unlisted gallery as a tool. Set it up with smart rules, selecting one keyword at a time. Once you have it set for one of your keywords, open that gallery in Organizer. Select all of the photos in the gallery (assuming they all have the same keyword you are trying to remove). Click the wrench icon, then select Title, Caption, and Keywords. Once you have the keyword section open, remove the numeric keyword and save. Repeat the process with the next keyword.

Help page on setting up gallery with smart rules is at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93308-can-i-create-galleries-based-on-keywords-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    Unfortunately I don't know of any way to remove them all at once.

I looked at several of your numeric keywords; they were all assigned to multiple photos.

What I would recommend is setting up an unlisted gallery as a tool. Set it up with smart rules, selecting one keyword at a time. Once you have it set for one of your keywords, open that gallery in Organizer. Select all of the photos in the gallery (assuming they all have the same keyword you are trying to remove). Click the wrench icon, then select Title, Caption, and Keywords. Once you have the keyword section open, remove the numeric keyword and save. Repeat the process with the next keyword.

Help page on setting up gallery with smart rules is at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93308-can-i-create-galleries-based-on-keywords-.

--- Denise

WOW, I can't believe there isn't an easier way to do this. Did you see all of my numberic keywords? I would take days maybe weeks to do.

It surprises me given all the good things smugmug offers.

Not happy,
    M
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2016
    Email the help desk, they can remove the numeric keywords for you.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    WOW, I can't believe there isn't an easier way to do this. Did you see all of my numeric keywords?
    I just did some experimenting. It looks like you can set up smart rules for multiple keywords, select all of the photos in organizer, then go into the keyword edit. There is an option to remove numeric keywords on the edit page.

Or, as Allen suggested, you can contact the help desk and see if they can remove the numeric keywords for you.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    I just did some experimenting. It looks like you can set up smart rules for multiple keywords, select all of the photos in organizer, then go into the keyword edit. There is an option to remove numeric keywords on the edit page.

Or, as Allen suggested, you can contact the help desk and see if they can remove the numeric keywords for you.

--- Denise

OH MY GOD.... THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS! I was just about to jump off the ledge given I did reach out to the help desk asking if they could remove them and their reply was - no....
    BUT now that doesn't matter as I can do this myself and will not take weeks!

Thank you for the research and info!
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    Email the help desk, they can remove the numeric keywords for you.

Hi Allen,

I think the last time you helped me out by suggested the same thing. At that time the Help Desk did in fact do this for me.

This time around they said, No. ne_nau.gif

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 6.07.35 PM copy.jpg

Nonetheless, Denise did find a workable solution. clap.gifclapclap.gif

I will work on this tomorrow. If I have issues, I'll be sure to bug you guys.

Many thanks for your help.
    Max
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    Hi Allen,

I think the last time you helped me out by suggested the same thing. At that time the Help Desk did in fact do this for me.

This time around they said, No. ne_nau.gif...
    I think you got someone new because they have in the past helped some removing numeric keywords.
    I'd try again and tell them to check because it can be done.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    I think you got someone new because they have in the past helped some removing numeric keywords.
    I'd try again and tell them to check because it can be done.

Thank you Allen for confirming that I'm not crazy as I was certain they have done this for me in the past as well.

I will contact them again later this morning.

I'll keep you posted.

M
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016
    Thank you Allen for confirming that I'm not crazy as I was certain they have done this for me in the past as well.
    If they have removed numeric keywords for you in the past and your site currently shows a large number of numeric keywords you must not have corrected your site setting so that these keywords aren't created after the previous clean-up. You should be sure to change the setting so these numeric keywords are not created automatically.

I'm a bit surprised that haven't tried the method I suggested after yesterday's posts saying that you would try it. I don't think it will take you that long to remove the problem keywords.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016
    If they have removed numeric keywords for you in the past and your site currently shows a large number of numeric keywords you must not have corrected your site setting so that these keywords aren't created after the previous clean-up. You should be sure to change the setting so these numeric keywords are not created automatically.

I'm a bit surprised that haven't tried the method I suggested after yesterday's posts saying that you would try it. I don't think it will take you that long to remove the problem keywords.

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

I think they did the numberic clean up before the New Smugmug launch. After which I didn't really know what the Keyword Extractor was doing.

The method you suggested yesterday only allows 5 keywords at a time, which helps but still will take way to much time.

I will try them one last time today. I will also try a google chrome extension that was mentioned yesterday.

To be honest, I didn't think its fair to implement a setting without warning folks what is happening behind the scenes and not help to easily correct it on their end when they have done so in the past.

Not sure what to do about this. I will give them one last chance today. If they can't help me, like I said before, I will have to seriously consider rebuilding elsewhere - which I am really not happy about doing because in either case I will have to spend hours out of my day to do so.

Thanks again for all your help and advise.

Max
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016
    To be honest, I didn't think its fair to implement a setting without warning folks what is happening behind the scenes and not help to easily correct it on their end when they have done so in the past.
    I believe the filename keyword setting has always defaulted to ON - this was not a change in new smugmug.

You should weigh the time it will take to clean up your keywords against the time it will take to build a new site. You could consider hiring someone to run through the cleanup for you.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016
    I believe the filename keyword setting has always defaulted to ON - this was not a change in new smugmug.

You should weigh the time it will take to clean up your keywords against the time it will take to build a new site. You could consider hiring someone to run through the cleanup for you.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise.

I think I'd rather pay someone to rebuild my site elsewhere.

I really don't see why I should pay someone to clean up something they did.

Thanks again,
    M
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    I think you can do this much more quickly based on your keywords. Don't set up a smart gallery for each numeric keyword. Set one up for widely-used keywords. If you have a keyword you apply to all of your photos, that's perfect. Otherwise, I see you use years as keywords. So you could set up a smart gallery to include all photos with 2012 OR 2013 OR 2014 OR 2015 OR 2016. Then use that single smart gallery to remove all numeric keywords. The only issue with doing it all at once like that would be you'll lose your year keyword since it's numeric. If you do it one year at a time, you can remove all numerics and then add the year back to all photos. I rarely use smugmug's built in tool for keyword management because they really made it difficult to use. This should be pretty easy with the chrome plugin.

If all your photos don't have a year keyword, you'll still save time doing it with a number of common keywords. Or it might be quicker to do it gallery by gallery.

Let me know if you need more help.

Dave