Options

my first foray into go figure (18+)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in Go Figure
Attended a fine art nude workshop over the weekend. Very interactive and less formal instruction, we kind of flew by the seat of our pants as far as posing the models and made decisions ourselves on which lights to use.

1. Lit via Elinchrom strip bank (?), and a small overhead gridded hair light.
1093830206_qCmBj-L.jpg

2. My attempt at bodyscaping...a lot of PSing to get it to look like this. Also lit with one strip bank if I remember, we were looking to create shadows. In my mind I wanted that milky "moonscape" look John Brody achieves, but missed the mark. I know there's got to be a better way to light this so the skin retains detail but imperfections are minimized. This is model from #1, so I wanted to retain her beautiful freckled skin without it looking blemished. :scratch
1093830226_52Jxj-L.jpg

3. Three lights: one 4x6 camera left, strip bank camera right, overhead hair light. Was quite a treat to light the different physiques. We really had great models (3 female, 2 male).
1093830473_tTXLH-L.jpg

4. My favorite of the day, shot with continuous flourescent lighting. I don't know how "correct" this pose is as it shows her armpit (pretty as it is!), but I wanted to accentuate the curvature of her hips.
1093830596_5zDJA-L.jpg

Overall I was pleased with the experience, always great to have access to studio lighting and professional models! I just was looking for some very "Nikolai-esque" specifics on how to light skin in a flattering way, and it just wasn't that advanced.

Also bummed we had to shoot in JPG so the models could get copies that day, so there were limits to what I could do in post.

Thanks in advance for critiques and comments!!!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Nicely done!!

I really like #1 and #3. The lower body looks somewhat distorted to me in #4. Something about the angle and the lens used.

I'm not familiar with your camera, but don't you have the capability to shoot in both RAW and JPG. I do this frequently with my Nikons when I need to provide JPG files quickly. I still have my RAW files to play with when I get home.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Welcome to GF! iloveyou.gif
    Congrats on breaking the mold! mwink.gif
    You did nicely, esp. considering unfamiliar lights and the whole new uncharted territory.
    A few nits that you may consider to look at in the future shots

Vantage point. I don't know how many times I said it: shooting female subjects full height from a typical adult eye level makes subject's legs to look short. Recommended vantage point (height-wise) is between model's knees and waist. Below the knees is considered extreme and is typically used for special purposes. Another extreme is at least a head or two above subjects' head. Both extremes are often used in conjuction with a WA lens.

Bodyscapes are deceiptively difficult to shoot right. I typically use the harshest light possible: bare bulb with a tight grid to eliminate the spill.
    Another trick is to have the model (almost) in a normal (vertical) position, light her from above and then rotate the image 90 degrees in post.
    The key, however is to add just a right amount of support light (in your case - next to the camera on the camera's left) to avoid the black void up front. This is one of the rare cases when I'm using a reflector.

Good one (I'm not an expert on male nudity tough:-)

I like the curves, but in general full frontal position is the least flattering. A little twist/rotation would actually emphasize those curves and make the image much more alluring. The lighting is a bit overwelming here, too, there are almost no details on the camera's left.

As for jpegs for models: that's why God gave us "RAW + JPEG" mode in most modern cameras deal.gif

Once again - very good start! Hope to see more of your work here! thumb.gif
    iloveyou.gif
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    vinovino Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I don't think your bodyscape is that far off. I think it is grand... nice work.