Couple of Arkansas Bridges

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited November 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
NW Arkansas is blessed with great motorcycle roads. While recently riding there, we came across a couple of one-lane bridges.

Funny little story about the bridge below:

About 3 years ago, Teresa and I were riding up in this area and came across this nice one-lane bridge in the middle of nowhere. It was a beautiful day and we had been riding for a while already, so we decided to stop to look at the scenery and grab a snack.

My motorcycle was at one end of the bridge, and we were standing in the middle of the bridge looking up the river. If you'll notice the river picture below, you'll see that the river makes a bend not far up-river from the bridge, maybe half a mile, 3/4 at most.

We were standing there enjoying the scene, and I heard what sounded like an air-boat up-river, that's even what I told Teresa would be coming around the bend.

I wasn't exactly correct, it was a C130 rounding the bend, making a low-level run down the river. It was very low, just above tree-top level, and in a hard turn, following the river itself.

My initial thoughts were; Cool!!! I've got to get a picture of this!

My camera was in it's camera bag inside my Goldwing's trunk. I took off running to get my camera, turn it on, focus and grab the shot, all before this low flying C130 could make it the 1/2 ~ 3/4 mile to the bridge. :dunno

I did get to the camera, and got a shot as the plane was pulling up above the bridge. (I'll have to go back into the archives and retrieve that shot)

I walked back over to my wife as she just stood there looking at me with a blank look on her face :huh I said "what's wrong", and she finally said "I didn't even know you could run anymore, much less like a grizzly bear was chasing you" :rofl:rofl:rofl

What made me laugh was what the crew of the C130 must have thought. (Scared that little bugger clean off the bridge :rofl)
Randy

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Howdy Randy,

Looks like some beautiful country and the leaves and trees really
    had a lot of color.

Had to laugh at the Story, I can only imagine all of them in Cockpit laughing
    and laughing. I am surprised they didn't come around for another run.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Randy,

Looks like some beautiful country and the leaves and trees really
    had a lot of color.

Had to laugh at the Story, I can only imagine all of them in Cockpit laughing
    and laughing. I am surprised they didn't come around for another run.

Some fellas that were fishing under the bridge told me that they make that low-level run several times a day. ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 17, 2010
    Cool bridges, Randy.

I didn't know you ever got this far east.

Remind me to tell you a story about Crazy Charlie, a DC3 pilot, in the Florida Keys some time. Not quite suitable for this forum.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Beautiful bridges -- loved the story too.

My runnin' days are over, but we can run if we really want a shot can't we rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 19, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Cool bridges, Randy.

I didn't know you ever got this far east.

Remind me to tell you a story about Crazy Charlie, a DC3 pilot, in the Florida Keys some time. Not quite suitable for this forum.

Hey Mr. Jim,

There's no telling where I'll wind-up on the Wing thumb.gif Maybe someday, I'll even get to meet-up with you somewhere!

OK, send me a PM about Crazy Charlie!
    Randy
    edited November 19, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful bridges -- loved the story too.

My runnin' days are over, but we can run if we really want a shot can't we rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Mary,

I was just glad to see that I could still out-run Teresa, just in case we do get chased by a Grizzly sometime rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 19, 2010
    Great shots and story, Randy. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Arkansas has a lot of great riding terrain. My in-laws live in Hot Springs Village, and I've ridden out to see them before and done quite a bit of exploring. Beautiful country, that's for sure. nod.gif
    edited November 19, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shots and story, Randy. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Arkansas has a lot of great riding terrain. My in-laws live in Hot Springs Village, and I've ridden out to see them before and done quite a bit of exploring. Beautiful country, that's for sure. nod.gif

Hey Joel,

I was surprised to find out that Hot Springs Village (a place I just thought was a small gated community), has twice the population of Hot Springs ne_nau.gif

We try our best to get up to NW Arkansas every year or two for some nice riding thumb.gif

We always spend a night or two camping at beautiful Lake Ouachita, then head on up to Eureka Springs, and take day rides out of there.
    Randy
  • TEdwardsTEdwards Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Very nice photos, Randy. My wife and go up to Eureka Springs every year (it's actually where we we got married back in March). Beautiful country and driving through the Ozarks in the fall is an amazing experience.
    http://timedwardsphoto.com

Canon 40d, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 55-250mm, Sigma 10-20mm
    edited November 20, 2010
    TEdwards wrote: »
    Very nice photos, Randy. My wife and go up to Eureka Springs every year (it's actually where we we got married back in March). Beautiful country and driving through the Ozarks in the fall is an amazing experience.

If I'm not mistaken, your avatar looks like Petite Jean Park?

Thanks for the comments!
    Randy
  • TEdwardsTEdwards Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, your avatar looks like Petite Jean Park?

Thanks for the comments!

Nope. That was actually taken at Mt. Scott in southwest Oklahoma (near Meers if you've ever stopped there for a great hamburger!).
    http://timedwardsphoto.com

Canon 40d, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 55-250mm, Sigma 10-20mm
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    very cool shots.....but where in NW ark did you take these???......the wooden plank bridge looks like one out side of Beaver Ar......but I could be wrong...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 21, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    very cool shots.....but where in NW ark did you take these???......the wooden plank bridge looks like one out side of Beaver Ar......but I could be wrong...........

Your exactly right Art about the wooden plank bridge thumb.gif

The other is on Hwy 23, a very nice windy road!
    Randy