Options

Fighter sponsor wants fight photos

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Sponsor wants photos of one of their fighters from an event that I shot for their media. They say they will give me photo credit.......Haaaa

Hell no.

So how much? I want to do it but I don't just want to give it away.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Rather than going the ha ha rout, why not talk to them about opportunities to shoot their fighter in training, or getting media passes for events etc?

Worth a lot more than one image.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Rather than going the ha ha rout, why not talk to them about opportunities to shoot their fighter in training, or getting media passes for events etc?

Worth a lot more than one image.

Sam

Dont need media passes and don't need fighters training. Past that part. Unless I want to fly to CA to do it too that is not an option. But helping people out is really the best option too. As long as you don't cut your nuts off while doing it. I do think I have worked something with the sponsor. Buying a batch instead of one image. And giving them some more rights too.

Man you would no believe what people want for free in that industry. These are pro/ semi pro dudes too. The amateurs are way easier.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »

So how much? I want to do it but I don't just want to give it away.

Right! So what is it you want? And did you tell them this?
    tom wise
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Man you would no believe what people want for free in that industry...
    It's not just that industry, it's everywhere. How about an aircraft broker looking to sell a $20 million biz jet, wants a copy of your photo for the sales brochure, but doesn't "have the budget" to pay you for it?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    People say it is just a picture. Exactly, that is why it can be valuable. It tells a story that can not be conveyed in the same way without it.

Update on my saga, Talked to the sponsor and we a negotiating. He is talking to his other people and we will see what happens. But in the end we want to work together on it. Should be ok.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    moose135 wrote: »
    It's not just that industry, it's everywhere. How about an aircraft broker looking to sell a $20 million biz jet, wants a copy of your photo for the sales brochure, but doesn't "have the budget" to pay you for it?

Exactly.....I was contacted by a local high end hotel for a pic of mine that was published in a book.....they wanted it for free...no budget for pics for adverts (postcards)...I offered a very reasonable price...they opted for....get this...a cell phone pic.....damn the luck........this hotel has suites in the $1k per day and no friggin budget for advert pix ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    Sort of like this Art? This is a cell phone picture of a computer screen. Watermark and all. Posted on facebook. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so funny I am not even pissed.

74146_165727493460091_100000685237331_386129_2818589_n.jpg

I have digital downloads for $2 WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the real deal looks awesome.

Same dude that did the cell phone pic had a guy from the paper at the fight to do a story about him. Talked to the writer a bit at the show. He said he needed pics of his guy for the paper. So I asked what do you guys usually pay? He said they don't......... but we will talk about it later.

Guy calls me, I say things changed, promoter didn't pay as promised and I would like to get some $$ for a photo. He flipped out started cursing at me then hung up. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was getting paid to be there and write his story. And the paper would have had to pay someone to be there to do photos too. It is not like I wanted the world for it. I just wanted him to pay something so I didn't feel like his bitch..

Anyway it is a good thing all of it is pretty fun. :D
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Pretty amazing and scary stories.

Shows how devalued our industry has become.

It's one thing when the Joe Public's want to copy images and get them for free, it's quite another when multi million dollar businesses try to scam us with BS excuses.

Trouble is, there is always going to be some try hard with a camera that will give these people pictures for nothing just so they can see themselves published.