one of my FIRST shoots- a photo i like. what about you?

rmannrmann Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited November 25, 2010 in People
1088905583_fds7n-L-1.jpg

comments would be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Well... the crop is unconventional. That aside, I think the crop is very awkward... the way it cuts off the sides of her face. Also not digging the section of bedding that showing in the right corner. Looks like you went for selective coloring of the eyes, but the bedding is also color. Is that something you missed or did you do that on purpose? headscratch.gif Either way, it's very distracting. Stuff going on with her forehead too... looks like smudgies left over from processing.

Not really sure why you cropped the image this way because it seems like it could be a very nice image if you opened it up a bit.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • rmannrmann Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Yeah the bedding seems to have come up much more vibrant than pre upload- i know that sounds weird but yeah, it seemed a lot less green before i uploaded it. And try as i might i can't fix that smudged look- i know exactly what you mean though :(.

I like that about the crop though- the 'unconventionalness?' sometimes you have to break rules. I did try it with less cropping before i decided on this but it just looked too plain. Thank you very much for your critique though

still trying to sort out that coloring, i printed it and the very faint hint of it looks much better- but yeah uploaded more vibrant :( happened with a couple of pictures like this actually... I'll embed another image tomorrow. Improvement-wise i mean.

Robert
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Funny, I mistook that piece of bedding for some kind of pointed flowering plant! Whatever the case it is totally distracting and draws attention from the models face which should be the focal point. It's like a supporting actor trying to upstage the star! (this analogy must be inspired by the classic movie star look of your beautiful model!) I would strongly suggest cloning that distraction out or cropping it off altogether. The black & white treatment really lends class to your subject. The selective color in my opinion seriously detracts from that effect.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    This looks like a website banner as far as the crop goes.
    Surprisingly the selective color works for me.
    Truthfully, I would just fill in or clone the bedsheet area to black.
    It's not needed for the image.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    This looks like a website banner as far as the crop goes.
    Surprisingly the selective color works for me.
    Truthfully, I would just fill in or clone the bedsheet area to black.
    It's not needed for the image.....

This was my first thought. Pictures can be cropped any which way if they are to be used in a particular way. he cloning of the bed sheet would allow space for text, too. Wouldn't look out of place on a website at all. In true B&W. :)
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I like it, bring up the exposure a bit.
    If it were mine I would clean up the stray hairs on her forhead and chest, and make it really bright, or make it a bright contrasty black and white.
    edited November 18, 2010
    great comments thanks :) realised half the reason i cropped was a hand/arm in the way-

1095752093_kaL4W-L.jpg

and heres the edit with 'bright contrasty black and white'

1095755205_V3KPJ-L.jpg

I prefer the lighter one...
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    The first version is much better. Leave it as is, just clean it up and brighten.
    The reasons the first crop was cool are lost in this latest version, completely different photo.
    Tone the eyes down and clean up the hairs on the forehead.
    Skin needs some evening out, in the bright version.
    edited November 18, 2010
    I tend to agree with Zoomer on the crop but I dod like how you brightened the whole image
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 24, 2010
    got round to it- hair gone, smudgies mostly gone (i think), white 'spikey flow/bed' gone. now what about about the selective colour? yay or nay?

1103739266_eAMSX-L.jpg

1103739464_y3T7C-L.jpg
    edited November 24, 2010
    I like what you did to this a lot....

Oh, the first one is not showing btw....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 25, 2010
    yeah i'm not quite sure whats going on with that but you get the jist, thanks alot btw :)