Seattle Sunrise

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Landscapes
On Veteran's Day I managed to get out with the camera for the first time in a couple of months. Since I didn't have class in the morning and the forecast looked promising, I felt that sunrise photos would be worth a try.

I was originally going to head out to Alki but first I wanted to stop by Kerry Park and see how the clouds were looking from there. After a few minutes of thought I decided to take a risk by staying where I was. When dawn finally came around, the sky looked amazing in every direction so the location probably didn't matter so much. This was definitely one of the best sunrises I've seen in Seattle.

As a side note, this panorama is composed of 14 vertical images (a blend of 7 exposed for the foreground and 7 exposed for the sky) put together in a single row. The end result is a ~70-megapixel photo with plenty of detail.

Canon 5D2
Canon 24-105L

1089691395_33xyM-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Fantastic shot.....bowdown.gif

~Mandy
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    great light you got there, and well processed. I would be tempted to crop off a little from the left to keep the attention to the cityline, mountain and water. thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Breathtaking sky and great work processing. Wonderful photo! Best, Pam
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    What a beautiful spot for this photograph, looks like you are on the same level as the space needle. Super pano, love the pinkish hue covering the entire city.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    wow! spectacular shot(s)! one minor niggle, and maybe it's just me, but the buildings seem ever so slightly tilted to the right... .
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    :jawdrop Good thing you stayed put! Beautiful photo.
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Great job Danny I still need to get up there again for some shots.
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    maybe it's just me, but the buildings seem ever so slightly tilted to the right... .

I thought the same thing.

Superb shot...

d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Thanks for the comments, everyone!
    edited November 18, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    great light you got there, and well processed. I would be tempted to crop off a little from the left to keep the attention to the cityline, mountain and water. thumb.gif

I'm not entirely satisfied with this crop so I'll take your advice and see how that looks. It looks like I'll have to play around with it for awhile to get it right. Thank you for the advice.
    edited November 18, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    wow! spectacular shot(s)! one minor niggle, and maybe it's just me, but the buildings seem ever so slightly tilted to the right... .

du8die wrote: »
    I thought the same thing.

Superb shot...

d8

The first thing I did after stitching the photos together was to straighten it. I think it might look skewed because of some illusion caused by this particular composition, with all the buildings off to the left. Just a guess. Anyway, here's a tight crop of the buildings and as you can see they are perfectly aligned with the edge of the frame.
    I'll probably have to crop the pano differently. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :)

c5Wa2.jpg
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I see you didn't cut down that @#$!@%! tree.

Horizons are always tricky with panos, even when they're level they don't look like it. It doesn't help when there are hills everywhere either. Compositionally I think you have the best crop as-is, if you cut off the left part to make it look straight (which is different that actually being straight) then you'd have to crop quite a bit off the right to make the composition feel balanced.

Those clouds are sweet. I'm sure I'll have about 5-6 stinkers at Kerry Park now that you used up the good light. Thanks for that.
  • linandjirsalinandjirsa Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2010
    Love it!
    Love it! Amazing colors. When the scene is perfect and the photographer knows what he or she's doing, this is what results!

Thanks for sharing.. Are you planing on selling this anywhere?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I fell out of my chair, stunner panorama!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    I see you didn't cut down that @#$!@%! tree.

Those clouds are sweet. I'm sure I'll have about 5-6 stinkers at Kerry Park now that you used up the good light. Thanks for that.

rolleyes1.gif

Nice job Danny! You may not get out to shoot as often as you like but you seem to come back with winners each time. thumb.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Beautiful!
    Chris
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    It is a beauty Danny!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95