Is a Nikon D80 supposed to sound like this?

SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited November 19, 2010 in Cameras
Hello folks.

I recently purchased a lightly used Nikon D80 on Ebay and received my camera today.
It seems to be in great shape, with no scratches to be found anywhere, but one thing is really bothering me.

When I lightly shake the camera, I can hear particles inside shake with it. It almost sounds like an old hollow toy or something...

I know I'm probably being far too vague here, but I can't explain it any other way. It's bizarre and really quite troubling.

What should I do about this? Is this normal? Does anyone have an old D80 sitting around to test for this kind of thing?

:scratch
---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford

Comments

• MacniteMacnite Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2010
    I recently purchassed a D90 and the owners manual says that if you turn the camera off while the VR swich on the lens is on it will do that. Turn the camera off, turn the VR switch off and then turn the camera swich back on, this might solve your problem. Good luck. Let us know if that solved your problem.
  • SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Macnite wrote: »
    I recently purchassed a D90 and the owners manual says that if you turn the camera off while the VR swich on the lens is on it will do that. Turn the camera off, turn the VR switch off and then turn the camera swich back on, this might solve your problem. Good luck. Let us know if that solved your problem.

That did not solve my problem. It does this with or without a lens attached...

• AnotherWayAnotherWay Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Strange...
  • SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    This appears not to affect image quality, but it bothers me. I've never owned a DSLR that sounds like this...

Are there any D80 users out there? Shake your cameras, what do you hear? (Sounds absurd I know, but I'm just trying to see if this is a normal occurrence.)

• CarpyCarpy Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I've had my D80 for a couple of years and never thought of shaking it until today, sure enough, there's sounds from it. It might be the mirror moving about. My advice would be Stop shaking your camera and take some photos with it Ha Ha Ha !!!

Carpy
  • JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Holy Cow! eek7.gif

I actually just shook mine the other day and heard the same thing. Like little particles of sand or something? Thought it was probably just something that found its way in there and totally thought it was probably just my camera.

Probably no connection, but does your D80 shoot unusually lousy at low ISOs? I have read reviews where people say it is great at higher ISOs and people say it is terrible. I am finding the latter. Doubt there is a connection, but thought I would ask just in case.
    This appears not to affect image quality, but it bothers me. I've never owned a DSLR that sounds like this...

Are there any D80 users out there? Shake your cameras, what do you hear? (Sounds absurd I know, but I'm just trying to see if this is a normal occurrence.)
    Jared
    My Site
  • CurleyCurley Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2010
    JTB-DC wrote: »
    Holy Cow! eek7.gif

I actually just shook mine the other day and heard the same thing. Like little particles of sand or something? Thought it was probably just something that found its way in there and totally thought it was probably just my camera.

Probably no connection, but does your D80 shoot unusually lousy at low ISOs? I have read reviews where people say it is great at higher ISOs and people say it is terrible. I am finding the latter. Doubt there is a connection, but thought I would ask just in case.

I think it's a sensor that tells the camera whether it horizontal or vertical. I read that I think in Thom Hogans book.