SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited November 18, 2010 in People
Not really sure what I am doing.
Any suggestions?

1095164259_TdJrU-L.jpg

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Yes, if you are using Photoshop, create a layer mask and remove or lessen the texture effect on the face or wherever else you don't want it. If you already haven't (it's hard to tell) try out different blending modes on your texture layer to see what works best and then adjust the layer opacity to your taste. If the areas where you removed the texture look too normal color-wise, create a new layer above the rest and fill with texture color to get it to match. Then change the blending mode on that layer until it matches up. Under the right circumstances I think textures can lend real atmosphere to an image. I'm really tired! Hope this explanation makes sense!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Thanks for posting this, I have tried a few textures, how do I remove the texture only over small parts of the photo as described above? I have tried to layer mask, but am unsure of how to do only small parts of the layer... (I'm sure it obvious, but since thie thread was posted I figured I'd use you wonderful people rather than google ;-) )
    Canon Fan
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    The simple way to do this is keep the portrait as a base layer and add the texture as an overlay layer. Once you choose the blend options and what not, you can use the erase tool to remove the top layer effect from the areas you do not wish to effect. You can vary the amount by changing the opacity of the brush as well.....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I'm sure there are other ways to do this as well...anyone?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I like what you did but most definitely the effect of the texture needs to be removed from the baby's face.<o:p></o:p>
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    1. Photo gets to be "Base Layer"
    2. The Texture itself needs to be added as a separate layer altogether, it will become "Layer 1"

Then reduce the opacity to your liking, blend in a mode that's pleasing to the image...or not at all...then erase small areas using the opacity feature there as well.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    You guys are stating it more clearly than I originally did. Yes, the original layer should remain untouched & texture layer added as its own separate layer.

But, creating a layer mask on the texture layer is a far better solution than the eraser tool. With a Layer Mask you conceal (mask) what you don't want instead of permanantly throwing away pixels. You can reveal (unmask) those areas anytime you want as long as you save the doc as a layered file. I don't know if other programs like Lightroom include layer masks but if so, you can't go wrong using this feature!

Forgot to mention earlier: a good blending mode to try for starters on your textured layer is 'Overlay.'
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    You guys are stating it more clearly than I originally did. Yes, the original layer should remain untouched & texture layer added as its own separate layer.

But, creating a layer mask on the texture layer is a far better solution than the eraser tool. With a Layer Mask you conceal (mask) what you don't want instead of permanantly throwing away pixels. You can reveal (unmask) those areas anytime you want as long as you save the doc as a layered file. I don't know if other programs like Lightroom include layer masks but if so, you can't go wrong using this feature!

Forgot to mention earlier: a good blending mode to try for starters on your textured layer is 'Overlay.'

Will have to try that
    Thanks
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif... much better to use a layer mask to "mask" or "unmask" than to erase.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site