Textures <PLEASE CRITIQUE>

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited November 26, 2010 in People
On another thread someone posted some work with textures so I thought I would share of couple of my latest creations.

1094288202_KdKbQ-L.jpg

1092962674_mMBn4-L.jpg

I've been toying with textures over the last year or so and am collecting a good amount of images for textures that I shoot whenever I see something I think might work.
I use a simple technique that involves using an overlay layer over a base image and using blend options in conjunction with opacity shifts as well as the erase tool to remove the texture from areas I don't want the texture to effect.

Thoughts are always welcome :D
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I love the way these are posed (among your best in that regard.) I think the texture effect works best in the first one. Kind of like seeing her through an old rain-spotted windowpane. I think #2 might be more effective if you made the effect less opaque in appearance. By the way, the angle and muscle definition of the right arm in #2 is beeeutiful!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Thanks, it's fun to do these as often I have no idea where they will end up creatively....
    The first one was way underexposed as the flashgun failed to trigger but I liked her pose enough to keep the raw file anyway.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 22, 2010
    Oh boy, I been stickied!!
    Let me have it :)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I agree that the first one works better. I'd smooth out the panty line and what looks like it might be the bumps from navel jewellery, but other than that I like it a lot.

I'm trying to figure out what it is about the second that doesn't quite come off for me - I'm not sure if it's the way she's arched her back or the added textures, but the tree trunk is masked and she seems to me to be floating instead of reclining on the tree; because she's at an angle I"m not connecting with her eyes, and I kind of wander out of the frame instead of into it if that makes sense.

I love the burned in edges on #2 - the texture plus the vignette is a very interesting and effective look! thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I like the effect of number ones processing, but to me, that is a very odd, non flattering pose and the clingy dress doesn't flatter her body shape. It makes her look lumpy...

I like your post processing...but a better choice of pose and clothing might be in order.

Just my two cents.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I could have sworn I left a long detailed comment on this thread but now I look and nothing? This is the 3rd thread this happens on. Honestly, I think it's something on my end, like I hit the wrong button or get busy and forget to actually post the comment. Or I'm just going crazy.

I did leave some detailed feedback similar to Ed's comments. I like the texture on the first, not the second. Also that the pose in #1 is not flattering for this gal. She has curves but she is face the camera to square. And with her leg /thigh extended out, the dress creates a lot of volume in the hip area. Also, the highlights/shadows on her tummy causes it to look "poochy". That is an official term BTW.

The second pose is much better but again, the dress is really ruining the shot. The way it's draping down makes it look like she's real lumpy around the hips.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited November 26, 2010
    I want to thank you guys for further critiquing these....
    It gives me more to think about and look for on my next outing.

Alex, I've had a few of my posts eaten by the great database monster too.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo