Trans-Siberian Orchestra and the Canon s95

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited November 22, 2010 in People
This last Sunday, we went to see the TSO. We had seen them 5 yrs ago and this was the first time they have been back to Spokane. If you have not see this band live, it is one of the most incredible feasts for the eyes and ears ever. It is hard to explain how totally outstanding this event is. For me, it is the ultimate Christmas show!!
We were not sure that we were going to be able to go, but at the last minute, decided, what the hey and bought tickets. Of course this meant that we were in the nose bleed section:(. We were not allowed to take in cameras with detachable lenses, so I just took my s95. These pics are not excellent at all and not indicative of what the s95 is capable of, but they did help record the event and bring good memories back to mind. I was also happy with the video that I shot for the most part except I really wish that the camera would focus when zooming.
I hope you enjoy these!

Ron

1095709127_uHMBQ-XL.jpg

1095709269_WypBQ-XL.jpg

1095709599_4gDNR-XL.jpg

1095711605_8kwW7-XL.jpg

1095710965_2iHyp-XL.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Very cool! (and yes, I am a TSO fan!) clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    TSO is amazing! We've seen them 4 or 5 times now. Try to go every other year or so now. Their "Christmas Story" is wonderfully executed.

Its interesting how the last couple of times they've tried to add some non-Christmas elements to their show. But everybody still comes back for the Christmas show. rolleyes1.gif

Nice pics!
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    They played for 3 hrs solid. The first part of the show is the Christmas story as you say Tony. And I agree, it is most excellent. I truly mean it when I say that NOTHING has ever put me in the Christmas spirit like that part of the show. It is just WOW!!.

But then they came out and said "hope you liked the first part of the show, now we are going to light it up". From that point, they went ballistic!! The catwalks lowered from the ceiling and they rocked our faces off. They had a smaller stage set up in the back of the arena that different musicians would go back and play on. It would also shoot fire of of it! What a show. I loved it all!!

Thanks, Ron

1095712184_hBcPV-L.jpg

1095711953_ofbHc-XL.jpg

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited November 18, 2010
    My first exposure to their music was walking around a music store, about 12 years ago, and heard "Sarajevo" playing over the PA. I turned to my wife and said "What the heck is that????" I went over to the register and bought the CD right on the spot. The following year was our first time seeing them in concert; they performed at DC's Warner Theater (capacity 1,800). Now their shows sell out, sometimes more than 1 performance, at the Verizon Center (capacity 24,000!).

I look forward to listening to their albums every holiday season!
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited November 18, 2010
    aj986s wrote: »
    I look forward to listening to their albums every holiday season!

I know exactly what you mean!!

Have you heard Nightcastle?
    http://www.trans-siberian.com/discography/night_castle.php

It was new this year and is not Christmas. Most excellent!!

Ron

edited November 18, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean!!

Have you heard Nightcastle?
    http://www.trans-siberian.com/discography/night_castle.php

It was new this year and is not Christmas. Most excellent!!

Ron

Yup....but not exactly new. They performed from Night Castle at their show last year. And I did end up buying the album. My wife doesn't care for it, but I really like it. IMHO, this was their first successful forray into non-Christmas mainstream. :D
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    All I can say is WOW!
    Great shots and I would love to see them!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    The first, third, and fifth shots are uber cool!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Being a musician you gotta love TSO. I had about the same seat at a concert but on the other side. My wife just brought home a CD and they seem to have another Christmas show but the first one will always be the best. Love the shots, very, very nice.
    edited November 19, 2010
    Thanks for the comments all. The concert was a real blast!!

Ron

• r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    This is the S95 P&S from canon?????????????

OMG I want a p&s so bad, I think this is the one for me!!!

(thanks for sharing, now I'm jealous!!!)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited November 19, 2010
    Yes, this is the Canon s95. I really like it a A LOT!! I also got some video from this concert that I wish I could share with you. It did a pretty good job with that also.

Thanks, Ron

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I have a Canon S95 mwink.gif
    I have tickets to TSO on November 28th wings.gif :ivar
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    My Bride and I went to a TSO concert a few years ago at Verizon Center in DC. Everything happened so fast I just "took photos in my head"! :D

Very good shots! :D
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Just gave the s95 to my younger son and his pregnant wife as a baby-shower gift (along with a SM site - hint, hint). For the first time, he's more up-dated than I am.

Good to see what this puppy can do.

I sure had fun giving them their first tutorial, though. :D
    edited November 21, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Being a musician you gotta love TSO. I had about the same seat at a concert but on the other side. My wife just brought home a CD and they seem to have another Christmas show but the first one will always be the best. Love the shots, very, very nice.

Yes indeed......a musicians band for sure....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 21, 2010
    Ron, did you do any post work on these as far as noise goes?
    This may be the P&S for me as well.....waited for the latest Sony compact but it was a bit of a disappointment....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited November 22, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Ron, did you do any post work on these as far as noise goes?
    This may be the P&S for me as well.....waited for the latest Sony compact but it was a bit of a disappointment....

I processed these in LR3.2 and did do a small amount of noise reduction, but very little. The little s95 does pretty good in low light. I love the little camera!!

Ron

edited November 22, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    I have a Canon S95 mwink.gif
    I have tickets to TSO on November 28th wings.gif :ivar

I hope you have a great time Aaron!!!!

Ron

edited November 22, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    Just gave the s95 to my younger son and his pregnant wife as a baby-shower gift (along with a SM site - hint, hint). For the first time, he's more up-dated than I am.

Good to see what this puppy can do.

I sure had fun giving them their first tutorial, though. :D

I bet they will really enjoy this camera Sara!!

Ron

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    I bet they will really enjoy this camera Sara!!

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I know I'm enjoying it vicariously through them. I'm tempted to pick one up for myself, but I love my G9 and will probably upgrade to the G12 soon, in part because of the tilt screen. But wow - yes, I'm coveting the s95. I do a fair amount of low-light photography and videos, myself. We'll see...