Hard drive problem......

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Hard drive problem......I am trying to copy some old Pata hdd's over to Sata ones and I am getting a message that the drive is INVALID in disk management.......so they won't "turn on"

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanx in Advance
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Hard drive problem......I am trying to copy some old Pata hdd's over to Sata ones and I am getting a message that the drive is INVALID in disk management.......so they won't "turn on"

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanx in Advance

Are you able to see them with any other application? I was thinking that perhaps you might be able to see them at a very low-level (say from a formating program or such (be careful, could be very dangerous though)). Do you have "Partition Magic"?

- HTH

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010

What are you using to interconnect the two different media?

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Thanks Wil ...............

no they do not show up in anything except disk management.....I do not partition my drives.......especiall external drives.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    yes , how you connect ?

there exist adapters , that let you connect via USB [ external ]

if you mount the disk internal , you must set jumper correct
  • ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Thanks Wil ...............

no they do not show up in anything except disk management.....I do not partition my drives.......especiall external drives.......
    Which OS you are running (Home, Professional?) and are the disks shown as dynamic disks?
    edited November 24, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    yes , how you connect ?

there exist adapters , that let you connect via USB [ external ]

Bas:
    if you mount the disk internal , you must set jumper correct
    I have used external adapter boxes for ever.......and even internal I always ran cable select...so need to set jumpers

@ablicter:
    running win 7 ultimate on laptop (desktop MB is being repaired once up it will be XP pro again)
    yes the disk do show up in disk management as dynamic "invalid" ......I cannot have them changed to basic with out the loss of all my files (photos).

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    try
    in disk-management , right-click on the disk > reactivate disk
  • ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    [...]
    running win 7 ultimate on laptop (desktop MB is being repaired once up it will be XP pro again)
    That's strange. Starter and Home does not support dynamic disks, but Ultimate should. Can it be the dynamic disk spawns over severall physical disks?

So far I see no solution for you; there is software which converts dynamic disks to basic disks, but not sure if its worth 29$, since its only change hex42 to hex07 in the partition table. And not sure if there is nothing else wrong with it.
    I would connect it to the system on which is used to run (guess this was the XP machine?) and copy from there.

In case you have XP mode installed, you might check what it says about your disks.
    edited November 24, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    try
    in disk-management , right-click on the disk > reactivate disk

This was my 1st starting point it won't reactivate...says cannot it is invalid........

ablichter wrote: »
    That's strange. Starter and Home does not support dynamic disks, but Ultimate should. Can it be the dynamic disk spawns over severall physical disks?

So far I see no solution for you; there is software which converts dynamic disks to basic disks, but not sure if its worth 29$, since its only change hex42 to hex07 in the partition table. And not sure if there is nothing else wrong with it.
    I would connect it to the system on which is used to run (guess this was the XP machine?) and copy from there.

In case you have XP mode installed, you might check what it says about your disks.

Thanx!!
    No SPAWNING mwink.gifrofl
    I learned a long time ago close to 15 yrs ago, not to fill any type of storage media so full it continued on to the next disk.........that was my 1st time trying to recover corrupted files, luckily for me it was data that I had paper copies of and not digital images.....

As soon as my XP machine gets back I will copy it from there......guess I need to make sure all drives are basic from now on before I start using them.

Thanx again.