Stick Season

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited November 20, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Stick season in New England is the time between the bright colors of foliage season and the first heavy snow. The primary colors are gray, grayer, and brown. Gray skies, grayer trees, and brown fields. It's a good time to work in B&W. A rare sunny day in November provided some texture to this scene.

Pine Brook Bridge; Waitsfield, Vermont
1096197527_b6qEU-XL.jpg

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Nice one. I've been doing the same thing. B&W, architecture and mills. I think next week I'm heading to the ocean though...maybe Plum Island in Mass. It's going to be a long stick season.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Stick season -- never heard it called that, but it's a fitting name for it.

Never ventured into BW during this season. Usually just sat it out, but after seeing your photo -- well it makes me want to get out and give it a try.

I like how the lighting flows over the road. Would love to see this after the snow has fallen.
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Stick season -- never heard it called that, but it's a fitting name for it.

Never ventured into BW during this season. Usually just sat it out, but after seeing your photo -- well it makes me want to get out and give it a try.

I like how the lighting flows over the road. Would love to see this after the snow has fallen.

Thanks for the comments; I agree that the usual "photographic" techniques for stick season are to admire the football game camera work on television. But it is worth a try. My neighbor is on a mission to take one photograph that he likes every day for a year. Reaching into the history files is not allowed. This month has been quite a struggle. I'm not ready to try that. One good pic during a dreary season like this is enough of a challenge.

You may not have too long too wait for a snow picture. Its snowing right now but its not expected to amount to much other than screwing up driving for a few hours.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Yeah, it takes work this time of year. I'm leaving shortly to shoot a few abandoned houses nearby. Stick season brings out the bleak pathos of those places.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    WOW I like the picture the name,We have a season for everything else:)
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Same season here in New Brunswick (Canada) and your moniker for the time period is brilliant. it IS stick season - and very gray and brown. We are supposed to get our first dusting of snow today so I am waiting with baited breath and freshly charge batteries - anything but GREY!

You have inspired me mwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Same season here in New Brunswick (Canada) and your moniker for the time period is brilliant. it IS stick season - and very gray and brown. We are supposed to get our first dusting of snow today so I am waiting with baited breath and freshly charge batteries - anything but GREY!

You have inspired me mwink.gif

Thank you all.

Snowgirl, I suspect that in Maritime Canada you have all the same seasons we have in Vermont;

Winter
    Mud Season
    Spring (lasts a few days until....)
    Black Fly Season
    Summer
    Foliage Season
    Stick Season

We have slight dusting of snow this morning but it likely won't get serious until mid-Dec.