Dng

m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 22, 2010 in Finishing School
how many of you use .DNG over your camera's proprietary raw format?

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 19, 2010
    I have been for 2010. I got tired of dealing with separate XML files. Life is just simpler and easier for me with dngs. I use cs4&5, LR3, and Photomatix for 99% of my editing needs.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I would love it if Aperture could convert to DNG upon import. But it won't, and I'm too lazy to convert first externally and then import the DNGs. But I would love to do it. I know DNG is not perfect, but I hate proprietary raw file formats.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Do you toss away the raw/nef files after converting?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I have been for quite some time.....I still have my raws from various cams....not sure why but I just never tossed'em ....drives are relatively inexpensive anyway....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I do DNG as well. I keep the RAW files but not back them up as securely. (I burn them to a single DVD with a contact sheet.)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    RogersDA wrote: »
    Do you toss away the raw/nef files after converting?

I use LR3 to import and convert the RAW files to DNG. When it does this it does not save a separate DNG and CRW file only the DNG.

If there is an option to save both I am not aware of it.

Sam
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I use LR3 to import and convert the RAW files to DNG. When it does this it does not save a separate DNG and CRW file only the DNG.

Sam

There is an option to embed the original raw file into the DNG, IIRC.
  • m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    There is an option to embed the original raw file into the DNG, IIRC.

could you tell us where to find this? thanks.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I'm at work now, but in Lightroom when you convert to DNG there's a checkbox to embed the original dng. It's likely in one of the preferences settings.
  • m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    I'm at work now, but in Lightroom when you convert to DNG there's a checkbox to embed the original dng. It's likely in one of the preferences settings.

ok, found it. preferences > file handling
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I convert to DNG fairly early in the ingestion process, don’t keep the proprietary raws.

IF you want the proprietary raws, not a great idea to embed them into the DNG. Save em off to another drive. The one minor disadvantage to DNG is anytime you do a tiny tweak in a parametric editor, that metadata can be embedded into the DNG (good) but you’ll spend a lot more time backing up this data. With a sidecar file, its tiny so this process is faster. Embed the proprietary raw, the DNG is now much bigger. Update the embedded JPEG in a DNG, or a keyword, etc, now the backup is going to take longer, longer yet if the DNG is twice the size or more thanks to the proprietary raw in there.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Sam wrote: »

Sam

In lightroom you can also select another copy of the imported file to be saved in a different location during import; It does not convert this file to DNG.
    In my case: When importing photos it converts and saves a DNG image on drive 1 and saves a copy of the original raw file on drive 2.
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I used to convert to .dng, but once I got the 5d mark II it started to take way to long for my patience ;) great format though for sure, and it saves file space usually!!

I can't wait for canon to jump on board and make it an alternative raw format on the camera!!

Best,
    Jay