Options

Easy as Cake - wedding collage

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited September 12, 2005 in Weddings
I was the bestman/photographer for my fathers wedding a week ago, and im trying to come up with a nice way to present the pictures. Btw, this is the first wedding ive shot on my own, well I had someone take the pics that I was in since I couldnt be in 2 spots at the same time, but I was in charge this time.

Once I realized I had 4 pictures of the cake cutting all the same layout and 4 pictures of the cake eating and same layout, I thought of presenting it this way. Im not so sure about the wedding knife/spatula type thing in the top corner. Plus I dont think the blue background of that suits this situation as well.

At first the plan was to have a white background. But I was curious and thought I would try a black background. I think I may prefer that one over the white. It means having to redo the borders of each small picture so the white is on the outside of the border instead of black,but oh well, thats what actions are for, hehe.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of this layout, colors, and border choice.

35523923-M.jpg
http://gerrydavid.smugmug.com/photos/35523923-L.jpg

35523921-M.jpg
http://gerrydavid.smugmug.com/photos/35523921-L.jpg

Im not sure how they want it printed, as an 8x8, 8x10 or 10x10. I havent really talked to her about what kind of wedding album she wants. So I set this up for an 8x10.

Comments

• Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2005
    IMHO, I'd just go with 3 photos and make the cake the focal point since it's a clean shot; I'd also use the white background. I'd use one from each series instead 3 shots of the same series x 2. The image just seems to busy with so many photos.

I'd use one photo of them cutting the cake, one of them eating the cake, and then close with the kiss photo. I'd also loose the cake cutting utensils unless they have some special meaning.

Good start and great gift idea.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    I love this collage! For the final decision on background... what color wall will they hang it on? If the walls in thier home all all white, I'd print the one with the black background and put a silver frame around it. If they have colored walls in their home, I'd print the white one and I don't know what kind of frame I'd use... you'll find something suitable I'm sure. Either way, it's a great layout and it'll be a much appreciated gift!
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    thdizzy wrote:
    IMHO, I'd just go with 3 photos and make the cake the focal point since it's a clean shot; I'd also use the white background. I'd use one from each series instead 3 shots of the same series x 2. The image just seems to busy with so many photos.

I'd use one photo of them cutting the cake, one of them eating the cake, and then close with the kiss photo. I'd also loose the cake cutting utensils unless they have some special meaning.

Good start and great gift idea.
    Ok, I took your advice and narrowed down the # of pics, but I like the idea of the series of cake cuttign and series of eating, hehe. Also removed the utinsels. I dont think theres any special meaning behind them.

I really dont like the empty white space, so I cloned the floweres on the cake somewhat randomly, put this in the background and lowered its opacity and made it b&w.

So heres my newest attempt.

35654263-M.jpg
    http://gerrydavid.smugmug.com/photos/35654263-L.jpg
    mary wrote:
    I love this collage! For the final decision on background... what color wall will they hang it on? If the walls in thier home all all white, I'd print the one with the black background and put a silver frame around it. If they have colored walls in their home, I'd print the white one and I don't know what kind of frame I'd use... you'll find something suitable I'm sure. Either way, it's a great layout and it'll be a much appreciated gift!
    Eventually these will go in thier wedding album. I think shes picked one out, but im not sure what size they want the stuff inside. 8x8, 8x10/10x8 or 10x10. Ill ask when they get back from the honeymoon.
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    Better ...Might try using torn edges on the photos with some mod. feathering so the photos blend a little better with the background........jm2cw...............................Mereimage
  • Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2005
    Much better!

Also, I agree, blending the photos would really help.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb