Options

Do you carry a flashlight (torch) or have one in your gear bag?

WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in Accessories
Just idle curiosity after participating in a flashlight EDC discussion on the EDCForums:

Do you carry a flashlight every day?

Do you carry a flashlight on shoots? Day or night?

Do you have a flashlight in your camera or gear bag?

If so, what kind?

I'll start:

I EDC (Every Day Carry) several flashlights:

* A Coleman Max 144 lumen 2xAA LED flashlight resides in my pocket for times when I need a LOT of light.
* A fauxton (knock-off of a Photon Freedom, hence the "faux") is part of my watch fob, for times when I need a little bit of light, right-here-right-now, without fiddling in my pocket.
*Another fauxton usually resides fauxton on my keychain as a backup, and for when I need to illuminate the keyhole. The keys are already in my hand, so why reach for the one on my belt?
*Other fauxtons are zipper-pulls on all my jackets and coats, because when I wear a jacket or coat it often covers the watch fob and pockets, and obstructs access to the other lights. They're also useful for increasing my visibility if I happen to be walking anywhere at night; I just leave them on as I walk.

Any time I go on a shoot, either paid or for my own enjoyment, I have my EDC lights.

I have additional fauxtons clipped on all of my camera and gear bags.

I also have a pair of fauxtons clipped to my camera harness, for use in illuminating the camera controls when shooting in low light situations, and for illuminating the bubble level on my tripod when setting up in low light. Hm... now that I think of it, maybe I should attach one to my tripod, too...

Why so many fauxtons? They're dirt-cheap at less than $5 per 10, tiny, and very bright for their size and weight. I find them extremely useful, and typically buy them in bulk to hand out to family and friends.

NOTE: For the record, I do NOT look like this guy from The Running Man.
4034593313_4ff0316295.jpg
Erland Van Lidth aka ''Dynamo'' in ''The Running Man'' 1987 by Derek B.E Francis2, on Flickr
What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 20, 2010
    I generally carry 1 - AAA powered white LED penlight with me at all times. I have additional small lights scattered in various camera and camping bags. I generally have larger flashlights in each vehicle and for extended camping I'll take additional flashlights depending on the perceived need. I'll also have extra batteries as needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I have a small, LED flash light that I keep in my bag. It's rare that I use it, but I'm glad it's there when I need it!

Kris
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I carry mini mag lites every where I go...I also have a small flat flashlight that is on my key ring........I learn to do this working stage shows: Opera , Dance, Music shows..recitals....most were black up until a couple of years ago now bright red...so I don't loose them as easy....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Yep, in my kit I keep an Energizer LED. I've used it to get focus in a pitch black night, using AF with it on and then turning it off and changing to MF without moving (something crazy like that, with flash, I forget the details, but the shot was perfect and sharp!), and for its more normal and intended uses...

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I have one in my car. You've got me thinking about adding a mini-mag to the camera bag though - it's a good idea thumb.gif
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I have a Surefire L4 in my bag. Ever since the day I went into an old military fort, but could only go in about 10 feet because of the darkness, I have it with me. One never knows. There's a small maglite in the car, too I think although I should probably replace it with something better. Husband the flashlight geek will know.
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    In each of my camera bags and packs, I have at least one small led headlamp. They are awesome and free up the hands.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Right about the headlamp, but I only bring it on early morning shoots where I have to hike in the dark. Very handy then.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I have now spent hours finding the 'perfect' light thanks to this thread rolleyes1.gif
    Looking for one I can use to 'paint' and that is dimmable (or has multiple output settings) so that I'm not constantly throwing out 150+ lumens.
    Got it down to the Fenix LD 20 and the Cree X-tactical ATE0C2L007 (click for Amazon link). Both run $50 and seem to do the trick. The Cree comes with color inserts to make light painting even cooler.
    Anyone have thoughts on these or other good lights?
    Thanks
    E
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    My flashlight geek husband says you can never go wrong with Surefire. Four-Sevens is another brand, Quark is the model that should fit most bags and take a variety of batteries.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I have now spent hours finding the 'perfect' light thanks to this thread rolleyes1.gif
    Looking for one I can use to 'paint' and that is dimmable (or has multiple output settings) so that I'm not constantly throwing out 150+ lumens.
    Got it down to the Fenix LD 20 and the Cree X-tactical ATE0C2L007 (click for Amazon link). Both run $50 and seem to do the trick. The Cree comes with color inserts to make light painting even cooler.
    Thanks
    E

I have the Fenix PD 20. Same output as the LD 20, but uses only one battery instead of two. Length is significantly less. The battery lasts me a year for quick occasional uses. Used it once to paint an outdoor waterfall scene (100 feet away).
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    That PD 20 is an interesting alternative. 1 lithium vs 2 AA... Have to sleep on it. Thanks
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I have two LED headlights in my back pack: one for me, one for my model :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    In the bag: Petzl E-lite - great minimal headlamp for fiddling with the camera or finding my way around in the dark if necessary. Bright enough but not too bright so I still have my night vision (esp. when using the red led). It's an ingenious little tool that doesn't take up any space or weight in the bag.

F_ELITE.jpg

In my pocket, I usually EDC a little Fenix LD10. Love those little things for everyday utility. 1AA and it's hard to imagine needing anything brighter.

20103993237170.jpg

If I'm light-painting, I prefer my Surefire G2 incandescent.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Thanks
    E

I'm not familiar with either light, but reading the descriptions you linked, I find that the Fenix uses AA batteries, while the Cree uses CR123 batteries.

CR123s are smaller and lighter, but also more expensive and harder to find in the corner drug store. I prefer lights that use AA or AAA batteries, since they are available just about everywhere at reasonable prices. If you're on a gig and your flashlight batteries die, it's easy to find AA or AAA replacements, but much harder to find CR123s.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    Ended up jumping on the Fenix PD20 last night when Amazon had them for $37 (instead of the usual $57)...can't wait for it to arrive and start painting...
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    Two years ago, before the Dgrin shootout in Utah, i got one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/671104
    Why? do I hear you thinking? Well, these are awesome! Credit goes to Schmoo though, for the idea.

What you can do is you attach them to the zipper of your jacket/vest/sweater and you can always find your flashlight in the dark. Comes in extremely handy with nightshooting and looking for your stuff.

I still have it, and use it regularly. Schmoo still had hers when I saw her this year as well.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    I have found that my iphone's flash works great as a 'anywhere' type of light. Bright and always with me.
    Got a free app to make that flash into a continuous light
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I'm another Fenix fan. I have the older TK10 similar to this TK11 https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_419&products_id=497

When camping I also have an LED converted Maglight. Both have served me well.

Edit: Oh of course an assortment of LED headlamps to keep your hands free. In addition to general use I have found on closer objects a bright light may be too bright for subtle light painting of an object and the softer LED light from standard headlamp can work much better.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Two years ago, before the Dgrin shootout in Utah, i got one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/671104
    Why? do I hear you thinking? Well, these are awesome! Credit goes to Schmoo though, for the idea.

What you can do is you attach them to the zipper of your jacket/vest/sweater and you can always find your flashlight in the dark. Comes in extremely handy with nightshooting and looking for your stuff.

I still have it, and use it regularly. Schmoo still had hers when I saw her this year as well.

I do the same thing with my cheap fauxton lights. They make great zipper pulls and are cheap enough that I keep them on all my jackets and gear bags.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    I do the same thing with my cheap fauxton lights. They make great zipper pulls and are cheap enough that I keep them on all my jackets and gear bags.
    Those look exactly like what I used when working on stage at Wichita State great little lites.....I had to mask off some of the lamp to just make it a focused (sort of) spot.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I have a plethora of promotional Mini Maglites that I get through/for work. They are an industry staple. Also I don't mind if and when I lose them. I also keep them in the briefcase for work, car, nightstand. I find that having a bunch of inexpensive flashlights work better as will lose them and have redundancy when the battery dies at the wrong time.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Yep
    Have a mini-mag lite in the bag, and one of those button battery powered LED micro lights on an outside zipper.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Have a mini-mag, full size mag and my HTC cell which has a nice little "flashlight" application if all else fails!
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    I have a large Coleman 3LED spot and a smaller led flashlight just for photography. After having people hold phones up to get focus points, I decides I needed something that would be a real solution.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    glockman99glockman99 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    I carry a little Fenix E01 in the pouch of my Leatherman Wave, so I always have a flashlight with me...(At-least as long as I have my pants on.).:D.
    Dann Fassnacht (glockman99)
    Aberdeen, WA USA
    glockman99@hotmail.com
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    glockman99 wrote: »
    I carry a little Fenix E01 in the pouch of my Leatherman Wave, so I always have a flashlight with me...(At-least as long as I have my pants on.).:D.

LEATHERMAN WAVE!!!!!!! Comrade and Brother!!!!!!!!:sweet

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    BBstringerBBstringer Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Surefire with a red filter so it doesn't mess with my night vision as much. Backup batteries always in the camera bag. I used to have several lights now I'm so impressed with the surefire it's the only thing I ever carry or use.
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I used to carry mini maglites, but overtime I began to feel that they are actually crap. For my job at the time, I needed something that worked everytime and was completely reliable. I found that maglites suffered from a couple of problems. 1) they could be easily turned on when in their holder, which meant they were often dead when I needed them, and 2) they stopped fuctioning for some reason, maybe dirty contacts, but it was something switch related. I think I went through 2 or 3 of them in one year before I gave up on them. And any flashlight that requires a spare bulb to be carried isn't worth the trouble compared to LED's in my book.

I now use a Coleman LED flashlight of some sort (it definately resembles some of the Surefires out there). While the barrel is much fatter than the AA maglight, the batteries last a lot longer, the switch has never been accidentally been activated, and it has worked extremely well for me, being bright and has greater range than the maglites. For a while I carried it clipped to my MC jacket in case I needed something at night so it hung out in the rain and cold. Always worked.

Think I paid about $20 for it, which is probably a fraction of the cost of a Surefire.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2010
    I used to carry mini maglites, but overtime I began to feel that they are actually crap. For my job at the time, I needed something that worked everytime and was completely reliable. I found that maglites suffered from a couple of problems. 1) they could be easily turned on when in their holder, which meant they were often dead when I needed them, and 2) they stopped fuctioning for some reason, maybe dirty contacts, but it was something switch related. I think I went through 2 or 3 of them in one year before I gave up on them. And any flashlight that requires a spare bulb to be carried isn't worth the trouble compared to LED's in my book.

I now use a Coleman LED flashlight of some sort (it definately resembles some of the Surefires out there). While the barrel is much fatter than the AA maglight, the batteries last a lot longer, the switch has never been accidentally been activated, and it has worked extremely well for me, being bright and has greater range than the maglites. For a while I carried it clipped to my MC jacket in case I needed something at night so it hung out in the rain and cold. Always worked.

Think I paid about $20 for it, which is probably a fraction of the cost of a Surefire.

Is this the one you've got?

170-9378_1.jpg

I've got two of these. I paid about $25 for it at Walmart (unfortunately it's no longer available), and I carry one as my EDC light. It's wicked bright, has a tough aluminum tube for a body, and the switch is reliable and easy to use.

I have a bunch of MiniMaglights, including two with 1-watt LED conversion kits, and these Colemans are far better.